Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 10-20-2008, 05:03 PM   #46
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Just a thought, but when making an LRF book, be sure to click on:
Make books/Sony Reader, then select the 'options' tab and click on 'as it it' in the dashes option.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:39 AM   #47
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
Yep, done that too

I'm really stumped why mine seems to be working opposite to all of yours LOL

For now I'm using German and then using find/replace to hunt for all the oe emdashes and changing them back. Using English causes way too many quirks that need correcting. Hunting out the oe emdashes is really tedious though.
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:53 AM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Jon:

Since you keep improving the Book Cleaner files, could you make a note including the date when you post a new version? When did version 1.5 get posted?
I'm going to sort out the book cleaner files today and post 1.6. 1.5 was posted on January 8, 2008.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:01 AM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Book Cleaner files are now up to 1.6.

They add in a fix for gun types because when you have something like .44 the space in front of the . in .44 gets stripped.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:47 PM   #50
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Jon.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:09 PM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Thanks, Jon.
Thread title needs changing.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:54 PM   #52
Patricia
Reader

Done.
I only wish that vvv, who developed the Book Designer program, was as punctilious as Jon about updating and improving it. Meanwhile the new Book Cleaner files are working extremely well on my latest book.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:13 AM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I'm hoping that because this thread has been brought to the front, more people who use Book Designer will see this and download these Book Cleaner files.

But at least the 1.5 files were downloaded 795 times. At least I hope that is correct. This is not just for Sony Readers.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:49 AM   #54
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
Jon, you are a star !! All my emdash/oe woes have gone ! It all works beautifully now, after using your update.

thank you so much

babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:56 AM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyd View Post
Jon, you are a star !! All my emdash/oe woes have gone ! It all works beautifully now, after using your update.

thank you so much

You are very welcome. I'm happy it's working for you. Dashes/emdashes are one of my pet peeves with books. If it wasn't for Book Cleaner, I would have bugged the author of BD to get that fixed.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:20 PM   #56
Novasea
Enthusiast
Novasea doesn't litterNovasea doesn't litterNovasea doesn't litter

Device: Sony 505
Thank you
Novasea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:22 AM   #57
Roberts324
Mad translator
Roberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enough

Device: eBookwise 1150 reader, Samsung E60 reader, SAMSUNG N150 netbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You are very welcome. I'm happy it's working for you. Dashes/emdashes are one of my pet peeves with books. If it wasn't for Book Cleaner, I would have bugged the author of BD to get that fixed.
Unfortunately, version 1.6 (as well as 1.5, btw) is broken when your language is French - that's my case - and the "oe" symbol is found in a text (mostly in words like "oeuvre", "oeuf", "coeur" or "loess".

At the very least, this sign should be changed to "oe", which is acceptable in French typography and wouldn't shock a soul. What really happens is that the sign disappears altogether, leaving "uvre", "uf", "cur" or "lss", that are mostly unreadable. But the best solution would be to leave the original sign alone.

Here is the output Bookdesigner gave me on an example text I created for this:
---
Robert Soubie
Fichier de test pour Bookdesigner
Je suis à l'uvre, et je marche sur des ufs.
Cette phrase contient les mots «oeuvre» et «oeufs».
Tant que nous y sommes, occupons-nous
· des accents:
car pâtre là
me léger hère être
i
cor hôte
ubiquité où
· de la cédille
çà et là

This file was created with BookDesigner program
bookdesigner@the-ebook.org
31/10/2008
---
And here is the original (note that the Mobilread preview shows the "official oe sign" on one line (in French, we say "o, e dans l'o"), and "oe" with separate letters on the following line (words enclosed in quotes):
---
Robert Soubie
Fichier de test pour Bookdesigner

Je suis à l'œuvre, et je marche sur des œufs.
Cette phrase contient les mots «oeuvre» et «oeufs».
Tant que nous y sommes, occupons-nous
• des accents:
car pâtre là
me léger hère être
i
cor hôte
ubiquité où
• de la cédille
çà et là
---
Perhaps a version 1.7 can cure this?
Attached Files
File Type: rtf Test Bookdesigner.rtf (42.1 KB, 817 views)
Roberts324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:35 AM   #58
Patricia
Reader

I have noticed the problem with oeuvre, manoeuvre, coeur etc.
I always search for the 'oe' ligature and replace with the characters 'oe' in an early edit on the source text, before I put it into BD.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:56 AM   #59
Roberts324
Mad translator
Roberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enough

Device: eBookwise 1150 reader, Samsung E60 reader, SAMSUNG N150 netbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I have noticed the problem with oeuvre, manoeuvre, coeur etc.
I always search for the 'oe' ligature and replace with the characters 'oe' in an early edit on the source text, before I put it into BD.
Not a good solution, if you'll pardon me. Ligatured oe is a French character in the same way the cedilla is, for instance, and should remain untouched anytime the French language is involved.
Roberts324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 10:32 AM   #60
Patricia
Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberts324 View Post
Not a good solution, if you'll pardon me. Ligatured oe is a French character in the same way the cedilla is, for instance, and should remain untouched anytime the French language is involved.
I agree. And if I could find some workaround that allowed the oe ligature then I'd be very pleased to use it.

In fact, Book Designer is very poor with French typography. It removes the spaces adjacent to many punctuation marks. Guillemets should have a space next to them. I now add a non-breaking space during the conversion.

Tags
bookcleaner, bookdesigner