Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-06-2013, 03:45 AM   #1
morningstar79
morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Saga of Recluce

Hi All!
Am currently reading the 9th book in the Saga of Recluce (Colors of Chaos). Looking for individuals enjoying this series without much complaint to discuss the complexities and ideas of the story line.

Please do not reply if you've only read the first 3 books and have complaints, or even have read the whole series (or only the first book) and only want to point out what you don't like. There are many forums to discuss the shortcomings of the series in such a point of view.
morningstar79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:54 AM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Haven't read it myself. Who is the author? What is it about the series that you like most?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2013, 04:28 AM   #3
morningstar79
morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

L.E. Modesitt jr is the author. The Saga of Recluce is a series of 16 fantasy novels based in a world outside our own, it's focus details mages and wizards who are able to wield the forces of order and/or chaos, black mages/wizards are responsible for the use of order, while white mages/wizards are responsible for the use of chaos. Without giving too much away, there is a force outside of chaos and order, and it is a far greater presence.
The series is not read in chronological order, rather jumps back and forth through time giving you the most recent happenings in that world, but then jumping back and showing you the history that founded the beliefs of the later characters.
My fiancee introduced the series to me years ago, and i refused to read the books based on his description. However, once my daughter decided to start reading the books i had no choice but to proof read what she was becoming interested in...and i was hooked.
While the author is overly descriptive in details you don't think matter at the time, you come to realize the importance of his detailed writing a little later in the series, and once you realize how the novels come together you will appreciate later what you don't see at first.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:32 AM   #4
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
have read all Modesitt books exception last one

very good author
does hard sci and fantasy

best series - corean
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:36 AM   #5
morningstar79

oh! i didn't answer your question...what is it that i like about the series the most? i like that the reader feels as though he is the main character in each and every novel over a span of 1850 years (and you can only understand the gravity of that statement once you've at least started the series, but really only once you hit book 6 or 7).
Advert
Old 04-06-2013, 04:42 AM   #6
morningstar79

forsooth, i started with recluce and became intrigued with the corean chronicles which starts with Legacies. while i am looking forward to reading the corean chronicles very much, i wish to finish the recluce series first. i am currently reading colors of chaos, Cerryl's second book, and i find the similarities between himself and Dorrin quite intriguing.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:43 AM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Sounds like an interesting series. Thanks for the info.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:22 AM   #8
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
It is a great series. One that I have read many times, the last two in chronological order.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:30 AM   #9
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by morningstar79 View Post
Please do not reply if you've only read the first 3 books and have complaints, or even have read the whole series (or only the first book) and only want to point out what you don't like. There are many forums to discuss the shortcomings of the series in such a point of view.
A ridiculous request. So we are only allowed to discuss what we LIKE? When did this become the Justin Bieber fan club?
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:02 AM   #10
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
There will be no Modessitt bashing...that us the law!

Besides...the series is awesome...so is Corean, but I haven't read Lord Protector's Daughter yet...and be Imager series is really cool.

I got the wife and kids hooked on them...we had races to see who could finish a given book first!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:20 AM   #11
tedpeer
Enthusiast
tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: nook, iOs
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
A ridiculous request. So we are only allowed to discuss what we LIKE? When did this become the Justin Bieber fan club?
Not sure it's a ridiculous request. If a person wants to bash the author/series, they can start their own thread for that.
tedpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:21 AM   #12
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
What's the problem in wanting to discuss the series with people who enjoy it rather than those who don't... if people, who don't like it, want a discussion then why not start their own thread... seems a perfectly reasonable request...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:38 AM   #13
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's got nothing to do with Bashing. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedpeer View Post
Not sure it's a ridiculous request. If a person wants to bash the author/series, they can start their own thread for that.
It's about having enough intellectual honesty to discuss both the strengths and weaknesses of a given work of someone's mind. Anything less is a fan club.

There is nothing wrong with a fan club, but please don't lie to yourself by claiming you want a serious discussion of the work.

Personally, I read the books YEARS ago and as I recall, the series started to go no where for me after the first 5 or 6 books.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #14
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
What's the problem in wanting to discuss the series with people who enjoy it rather than those who don't... if people, who don't like it, want a discussion then why not start their own thread... seems a perfectly reasonable request...
I can't believe we are even having this discussion! This isn't about liking or disliking a given work. It's about discussing the work in an adult manner. Any attempt to STEER the thread in any given direction is essentially a fraud. It is the moral equivalent of a commercial effort to gin up sales.

I hope you all enjoy the size, shape, and depth of your navels.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:44 AM   #15
tedpeer
Enthusiast
tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: nook, iOs
I have the books, but planned on reading them in chronological order, not written order. The first time through is it going to be better to read them in written order?
tedpeer is offline   Reply With Quote