Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-14-2011, 07:25 PM   #1
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Question epub/mobi - Convert to get Original_Mobi Problem

Hi:

I am having a little trouble when converting my mobi files. If a mobi and epub version exists in the book and I select the option to convert to mobi it will overwrite the existing mobi version instead of converting it and creating the original_mobi file. If I only have the mobi version in the book, it will convert it and create the original_mobi file. Is it possible to convert to get the original_mobi when both the mobi and epub versions exist?

I know you ask why I am doing this, but I want to use the option to input the metadata on the first page but I also want to retain the original file without that data included because my husband doesn't want or need to see it and I need the mobi for my kindle devices and the epub version for my husbands nook device.

Nyn
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:54 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
original_* functionality is only triggered when your are converting from X format back to X format. I suggest you create two book records for th same book.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2011, 11:36 PM   #3
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
original_* functionality is only triggered when your are converting from X format back to X format. I suggest you create two book records for th same book.
Ok, I think I understand, so I assume if more than one format exists, it will just overwrite the converting format. No problem, I will just make sure to convert to the mobi format first and then add the epub format. Thanks Kovid.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:30 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
Ok, I think I understand, so I assume if more than one format exists, it will just overwrite the converting format. No problem, I will just make sure to convert to the mobi format first and then add the epub format. Thanks Kovid.
Not quite.

The creation of an original_xxxx format type book During conversion occurs when the input and output formats of a conversion are the same. It is not a function of whether other formats of that book already exist.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:55 AM   #5
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Not quite.

The creation of an original_xxxx format type book During conversion occurs when the input and output formats of a conversion are the same. It is not a function of whether other formats of that book already exist.
So why is it I only get the original_mobi when the mobi is the only format in the book? Is it that it is converting from the epub instead of the mobi when an epub and mobi version exist??

Nyn
Advert
Old 10-15-2011, 11:13 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
So why is it I only get the original_mobi when the mobi is the only format in the book? Is it that it is converting from the epub instead of the mobi when an epub and mobi version exist??
When you convert a book you choose the input format and output format, see attached. If the input is the same format as the output then the original_xxxx book will be created.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	convert.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	77833  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:54 PM   #7
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

I do not see an input option when converting in bulk, am I missing it somewhere??

Nyn
Old 10-15-2011, 01:56 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I do not see an input option when converting in bulk, am I missing it somewhere??

Nyn
Nope.
Bulk convert can convert many formats in a single Bulk
It will use: 1) the last conversion setting used on that book. 2)Current Calibre defaults for that books input Format type.
You can make it Use #2) by removing the Tick above Look and Feel
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:04 PM   #9
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Ok, I am just as confused now, I do not understand which is being picked and more importantly which version should be picked, so I think I will just stick to converting one format type at a time. I just want to use my mobi type to be the converting format no matter what other versions exist because the mobi file is the original file for all of my books.

Nyn
Old 10-17-2011, 12:07 PM   #10
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
why is it I only get the original_mobi when the mobi is the only format in the book
Because when converting in bulk, calibre will choose the "best" format to make the conversion from. The "best" is controlled by you under Preferences|Interface|Behavior|Preferred input order

You have the default setup, which chooses EPUB before MOBI. If you bulk convert to MOBI, all those with EPUB and MOBI will produce a replacing MOBI (and not an ORIGINAL_MOBI). Those with only MOBI will make an ORIGINAL_MOBI and then replace the MOBI with the new conversion.

If you move MOBI above EPUB in "Preferred input order", calibre will always use MOBI, and will always create an ORIGINAL_MOBI if you already have a MOBI (but not if you only have an EPUB).

Quote:
Ok, I am just as confused now, I do not understand which is being picked
Did that help?

Last edited by Starson17; 10-17-2011 at 12:10 PM.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote