Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-03-2010, 01:12 PM   #1
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
1 Million iPads Sold

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/03/a...s-first-month/

28 days to get to 1 million sales per that article and the included press release.

Very impressive! I figured it would take a lot longer for them to hit 1 million sales.

Glad to see it doing well as it will definitely spur competition and get us a lot of tablet options over the next couple of years.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:34 PM   #2
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
I am really amazed that it's selling twice as fast as the iPhone.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2010, 01:49 PM   #3
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Me too. Though I can think of two explanations.

1. The iPhone was/is only on AT&T, so people had to have that service or be out of contract with their wireless provider to switch without paying a penalty.

2. With the WiFi only model, there's no need (and no requirement) for a data contract which isn't needed for people like me who don't travel much and spend 95%+ of their time around WiFi hot spots.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:49 PM   #4
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
And it hasn't launched internationally yet
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 02:29 PM   #5
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
When the iPhone launched, there were no apps. There wasn't an installed base of over 80million iPhone OS devices. The iPhone was just a phone with a better browser and bigger screen (but minus a keyboard)....that only worked on edge (not 3G). Not to mention that it only worked on AT&T network.

The only doubt the iPad success had was whether people would want something between their smartphone and their laptop. Obviously -- they do

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2010, 02:37 PM   #6
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
2. With the WiFi only model, there's no need (and no requirement) for a data contract which isn't needed for people like me who don't travel much and spend 95%+ of their time around WiFi hot spots.
Even with the 3g model they don't require a contract. You can enable and disable a month of 3g at any time. I think that feature really helped the sales of the 3g model as, for example, I am usually around wifi but I like to know that I can take this on a trip and enable 3g just for the trip.
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 02:44 PM   #7
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilman View Post
Even with the 3g model they don't require a contract. You can enable and disable a month of 3g at any time. I think that feature really helped the sales of the 3g model as, for example, I am usually around wifi but I like to know that I can take this on a trip and enable 3g just for the trip.
Very true. That is a big plus. Wouldn't be worth the $129 premium on the hardware for me personally. Even with travel I pretty much always stay in hotels with free WiFi (look for that when booking) and can charge internet to my company when traveling for work and staying in hotels with pay internet in room.

But having the monthly option is a big plus, and I do agree that probably helps spur sales as it's a nice option for people who just need the 3G here and there when traveling.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:46 PM   #8
savanahrose
savanahrose began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post

That might have to do with the ereader for one. Plus on top of that you can actually do some work with it.
I know I want one just for the ibook. Everything else would just be gravy.

Didn't think of the Wifi and no contract business. I still am torn between the two but with the Iphone I don't think I need the 3g, it would just be nice to have.

Last edited by savanahrose; 05-03-2010 at 02:48 PM.
savanahrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 02:48 PM   #9
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
it might be because it just because isn't a cell-phone. people don't have to worry about changing cell plans, numbers, contracts, etc. it's far easier to just stop in the store and get an ipad vs change cell providers in the US.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 03:07 PM   #10
Lotus Esprit
Addict
Lotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
It would be interesting to see a break down of the purchasers by what products they currently own and if this is their first Apple product.
Lotus Esprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:40 PM   #11
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
i'm just guessing, but i'd say they are probably a minority.. people buying it just because of the ereader capabilities are even more of a minority. if all i wanted was an ereader i'd be quite happy with a sony or a nook.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:47 PM   #12
dmaul1114
Wizard

Yeah, the press release said 1.5 million e-books sold on it--or 1.5 per unit.

And it's fairly likely that the 1.5 million is including the free Winnie the Pooh downloads, so it seems pretty clear that most people aren't buying them mainly as e-reader devices.

I'd also agree with Scott that first time Apple owners are probably a small minority as well. Early adopters are always going to be more represented by people with a history of buying a company's products (except for new company's of course).

But I do think the iPad will bring new people to Apple eventually--just as the iPods and iPhone did. Though not nearly to that scale. But it will help. Most of my friends that have iPhones/iPods that's either their only Apple product, or they bought their first Apple Laptop etc. after getting the iPhone etc.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:05 PM   #13
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
The 3GS iPhone sold a million units in the first 3 days.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:26 PM   #14
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
The 3GS iPhone sold a million units in the first 3 days.
Not a fair comparison though as the Iphone market was already there and a ton of that was upgraders.

Better to compare first gen devices.

But as noted earlier, still hard to compare cell phones to other gadgets due to the contractual issues where people may want one but not want to pay to break contract and switch characters etc.