Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-28-2015, 05:02 PM   #31
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I read fast, so I was basically constantly scrolling. Very little text on a screen compared to what most web articles manage. Each to their own, I'm sure others like it.

I totally agree: too much scrolling and overly large images. (At least clean off the lint and dust when taking a photo - please!)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 05:03 PM   #32
MariusMasalar
Tech Whisperer
MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Paperwhite 3; Kobo Aura One, H2O
Hey Jon,

The line length is actually exactly at the recommended settings for optimum web readability (about 90 characters). The footnotes also have handy return links at the end of each of them—you'll notice the "↩" character is a link that takes you right back to where you were in the article. Those work on the browsers I've tested with...are they broken for you?

I'm not sure if you had a look since I adjusted the text sizing/spacing earlier today, so maybe take a second peek to see if you consider this a more comfortable setting for larger screens.
MariusMasalar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2015, 05:18 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
@MariusMasalar,
I, too, enjoyed your article Although your assessment of what features are 'most important' for you don't match my own, I thought you presented a fair comparison of the pros and cons of the 2 brands.
I agree with this.

I went with the H2O for a few reasons.
  1. The larger screen (6.8" vs. 6"). The 6.8" screen feel larger, but not too much larger
  2. The ability to use my own choice of fonts. I like being able to modify most fonts (if needed) so they look better on screen and I like being able to install fonts that I want to use.
  3. Typography is better on the H2O. It supports Kerning (if the font does) and it support hyphenation to help get rid of the wide gaps
  4. More control over margins, line-height, and font size. The Kindle is very limited in these aspects.
  5. The front light. The front light of the H2O is (overall) might more even. It doesn't have color shifts like a lot of Kindles do. It's was really bad with the PW1 and it's better with the PW2, but not better enough. And even the Voyage has color shifting issues.
  6. Collections. With a Kobo, I can have Calibre create collections for me as needed when side loading eBooks. That cannot do that on the Kindle as Amazon has removed that functionality.
  7. card slot. I like that the Kobo has a card slot. I have not used it, but if I ever wanted to use it, it would be there. The card slot is another feature Amazon has removed from the Kindle line.

As far as Calibre goes, I don't think it is hideous. In fact, Calibre helps make it easy to find books and to manage them on a Kobo or Kindle. There is a learning curve to using Calibre, but it's not all that difficult. And if you have any questions, come to MR and you can get help here.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 05:28 PM   #34
MariusMasalar
Tech Whisperer
MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Man, the H2O's light is in a totally different league from the PW2 that's for sure. I was surprised at how much better it is.

I don't use collections or folders myself (I don't keep that much stuff on my reader at any given time), but that definitely seems to be a popular use case and a good reason to have a card slot.

I wasn't calling Calibre bad or difficult, just ugly. It's easy to use, does a great job at what it's supposed to do, I was just commenting about the fact that its interface is a bit of an eyesore.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:30 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusMasalar View Post
Hey Jon,

The line length is actually exactly at the recommended settings for optimum web readability (about 90 characters). The footnotes also have handy return links at the end of each of them—you'll notice the "↩" character is a link that takes you right back to where you were in the article. Those work on the browsers I've tested with...are they broken for you?
I'm not sure if you had a look since I adjusted the text sizing/spacing earlier today, so maybe take a second peek to see if you consider this a more comfortable setting for larger screens.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure where you got that 90 characters is optimum, but it really isn't. What works better is having 25% space on each side and the rest is the column for the article. This is for a wide screen monitor be it a desktop, laptop or tablet. What you have now works well for a cell phone, but not for a monitor that's HD or higher resolution.

I didn't actually notice the "↩" as being a link to go back. It's not obvious. What would work is recoding all the footnotes so the web browser recognizes the click as a proper link so going back works. No need to remove "↩". when fixing the footnote links.

What I feel you need is a mobile site and a non-mobile site. And for the mobile site, it should have a link at the top to switch to the non-mobile site.
Advert
Old 03-28-2015, 05:42 PM   #36
MariusMasalar
Tech Whisperer

Butterick's and a study that indicated 95cpl as providing the fastest reading experience on the web were what informed the measure decision.

I can't turn the entire footnote into a link to go back because I have distinct hyperlinks to things in the footnotes themselves. So far you're the first to tell me that the symbol isn't distinctive enough (it's styled in bright blue, like the rest of the hyperlinks) or that the footnotes are difficult to navigate so I'm inclined to leave that as it is.

Again though, thank you all for the feedback. Didn't realize there were so many design-minded folks around here :P
Old 03-28-2015, 06:02 PM   #37
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
I wasn't calling Calibre bad or difficult, just ugly. It's easy to use, does a great job at what it's supposed to do, I was just commenting about the fact that its interface is a bit of an eyesore.
You're not the first one saying that and definitely not the last one. I actually know two people who refuse to use Calibre just because "it's ugly and difficult."

Yeah, go right ahead, finding and organizing your books using Adobe Digital Editions. Good luck if you ever run into DRM issues.

"DRM? I don't use that. I just read books."

OK, you won't notice DRM as long as you have no issues, but if something ever goes wrong or you inadvertently buy a Kindle and try to sync your ADE books with it, you'll hit a brick wall. Hard.

Still, they can't be convinced, because Calibre is ugly. And difficult... as if you NEED to use every single feature in there. If the only thing it did was correct metadata and remove DRM, I'd still use it.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:07 PM   #38
MariusMasalar
Tech Whisperer

I don't think you were implying that I am one of those people, but just in case—I use and love Calibre. I didn't call it ugly and difficult, just ugly. And I can live with ugly for exactly the reasons you outlined.

I have no complaints about its functionality or ease of use.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:22 PM   #39
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
I don't think you were implying that I am one of those people...
No, I wasn't, because I don't know you personally I mean, I know two people, for whom I set up their e-reader and Calibre, and they told me to my face they won't use that program because it's ugly and looks difficult with all those buttons.

They haven't even tried

Quote:
... but just in case—I use and love Calibre. I didn't call it ugly and difficult, just ugly. And I can live with ugly for exactly the reasons you outlined.

I have no complaints about its functionality or ease of use.
Calibre can be very difficult when you are trying to do advanced things. For example, plugboards are not directly obvious for non-tech savvy people. Even for the tech-savvy but non-programmers it can be a daunting feature to get working right.

Still, I consider this to be the case with other programs as well. Excel is not difficult, until you start writing macro's and scripts; then it can become very complex very quickly.

And about the user interface of software: I actually don't really care about looks anymore, as long as the program does what it needs to do, and stays out of the way.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:55 PM   #40
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I rather like Calibre's layout given that you have choices which panes to show where.

Have you tested your layout in any Firefox version? The little bio blurb at the right ends mid-sentence with "plays video" and no way to advance it to read the rest of it. Tried it even in default in case one of my plugins or theme was causing it, with version 28 and 35, but it's not. I then tried making the font smaller and if I decrease it 2 levels it will all show then. I haven't made any font size adjustments at all in the browser, so not sure why it's not fully displaying as default. But that leaves the issue that if any reader needs to increase the font size, you decrease the amount of lines visible there and eventually kick that entire little part off the page.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:43 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

One other issue with the site, the image of the Kindle Keyboard/Kindle 3 is too large. Also the header image is too large as well. All the other images are good.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:55 PM   #42
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Thanks, Jackie! Out of curiosity, what would your list of most important aspects contain?
Only 3 things, really:
- screen quality and customisation of text on screen
- close integration with calibre
- I prefer epubs because I know exactly how to customise them so they look good on both eink and Android devices.

I have no interest at all in highlighting/notes, social sharing, X-ray or vocabulary building.

... which is why Kobos suit me and Kindles leave me cold.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:35 PM   #43
MariusMasalar
Tech Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Have you tested your layout in any Firefox version? The little bio blurb at the right ends mid-sentence with "plays video" and no way to advance it to read the rest of it. Tried it even in default in case one of my plugins or theme was causing it, with version 28 and 35, but it's not. I then tried making the font smaller and if I decrease it 2 levels it will all show then. I haven't made any font size adjustments at all in the browser, so not sure why it's not fully displaying as default. But that leaves the issue that if any reader needs to increase the font size, you decrease the amount of lines visible there and eventually kick that entire little part off the page.
That's weird...I am looking at it in FF 36 and the developer version right now, totally default, and it displays perfectly. I can only get it to cut off the text in that blurb if I increase size to 133%.

Not sure why that's happening. I will have to test it on more screen sizes and machines to see where the issue lies.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:44 AM   #44
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Marius, I think we need to just leave it at you have your ideas of how things should look and I/we have our ideas. Just out of curiosity, though...have you ever actually had a reader tell you that they LIKED the way your site was laid out? I'm sure that you've had designers tell you how optimal it was, but have you ever actually had a READER tell you that?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:36 AM   #45
jandrew
Zealot
jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: aura hd
Quote:
Butterick's and a study that indicated 95cpl as providing the fastest reading experience on the web were what informed the measure decision.
Hmmm. I'd say check out a few more studies ... and you might also consider whether reading speed is something you want to be optimizing over user experience:

http://samnabi.com/blog/line-length-...ser-experience

cheers,
andrew
jandrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ereader, h2o, kindle, kobo, paperwhite 2