Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-31-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
metalkittykat
metalkittykat knows what is on the back of the AURYN.metalkittykat knows what is on the back of the AURYN.metalkittykat knows what is on the back of the AURYN.metalkittykat knows what is on the back of the AURYN.metalkittykat knows what is on the back of the AURYN.metalkittykat knows what is on the back of the AURYN.metalkittykat knows what is on the back of the AURYN.metalkittykat knows what is on the back of the AURYN.metalkittykat knows what is on the back of the AURYN.metalkittykat knows what is on the back of the AURYN.metalkittykat knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kobo eReader
Used Kobo eReader

Hi,

I got myself a used Kobo eReader from my local swamp shop... And after inspecting it it featured the 100 classic novels (which I am currently enjoying) and some other texts the former user had left on her book. I don't care very much for them as they are primary romance novels.

I created a new account for Kobo as I was interested in getting some new books to read on it.

However, as I attempted to sync it to my computer I found that I was not able to access the reader as I would have to authorize the former user's account!

I want to be able to change the account that is associated with the eReader and keep the 100 classics that were featured on this device but be able to manage the library from Kobo Desktop. I fear that doing a factory reset will result in me loosing the books that I am currently enjoying.

Any helpful input will be greatly appreciated.
metalkittykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Do you have a USB A to USB micro cable? If so you can copy the books to your PC. You should have one already, to charge the device's battery.

Once you have your books safe, you could try logging out of the existing account, using the settings menu. It should let you redo the Kobo authentication.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 08-31-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2013, 01:34 PM   #3
metalkittykat
metalkittykat knows what is on the back of the AURYN.metalkittykat knows what is on the back of the AURYN.metalkittykat knows what is on the back of the AURYN.metalkittykat knows what is on the back of the AURYN.metalkittykat knows what is on the back of the AURYN.metalkittykat knows what is on the back of the AURYN.metalkittykat knows what is on the back of the AURYN.metalkittykat knows what is on the back of the AURYN.metalkittykat knows what is on the back of the AURYN.metalkittykat knows what is on the back of the AURYN.metalkittykat knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Yes I have that, however, I can't find the books. Are they stored under a specific file?
Old 08-31-2013, 01:46 PM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
You might try selecting the ".kobo" folder then the "kepub" folder.

I am not using Kobo's reading programs, so I don't have any ebooks being managed by the Nickel program. I have all my ebooks in folders within a hidden folder on my external uSD card, and read them with the Koreader port.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:21 PM   #5
Nascarfan1972
Banned
Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Glo/Mini/Aura/Glo HD/Clara/Libra & Forma & Kindle PW
Metalkittykat,

It sounds like you have the original kobo wireless model, which is not touch screen, but has a d-pad in the bottom right corner. If this is correct then you can just de-authorise the kobo and the 100 classics will stay on the device as they are pre-loaded by kobo.

If this is not the case, the classics can probably be downloaded as free books from the kobo website once you have set up an account with kobo.

Thanks
Nascarfan1972
Nascarfan1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2013, 02:28 PM   #6
metalkittykat

You are actually correct. I have the original model!

I will try that then. Thank you so much!

@Ken - You may be correct as well. The number of files in the folder are relatively close to the books I have on the reader. Thank you!
Old 08-31-2013, 02:28 PM   #7
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalkittykat View Post
Hi,

I got myself a used Kobo eReader from my local swamp shop... And after inspecting it it featured the 100 classic novels (which I am currently enjoying) and some other texts the former user had left on her book. I don't care very much for them as they are primary romance novels.

I created a new account for Kobo as I was interested in getting some new books to read on it.

However, as I attempted to sync it to my computer I found that I was not able to access the reader as I would have to authorize the former user's account!

I want to be able to change the account that is associated with the eReader and keep the 100 classics that were featured on this device but be able to manage the library from Kobo Desktop. I fear that doing a factory reset will result in me loosing the books that I am currently enjoying.

Any helpful input will be greatly appreciated.
From your description you have either the Kobo Original or the Kobo Original with Wi-Fi. These are the only Kobo ereaders that came with 100 free classics pre-installed. The 100 free classics are stored in a database so you will not be able to find any specific files associated with them on the device. The good news is that after a factory reset the 100 free classics will also be restored to your Kobo. The only books that you will lose are the ones added by the previous owner.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:57 PM   #8
metalkittykat

I was not aware of that.

Thank you.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:02 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Actually I thought at one point Kobo had changed the original to no longer store the books within the database. Upgrading it's f/w in effect did away with the 100 free books, but I seemd to recall a file being able that was a zip of the 100 free classics.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:13 PM   #10
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Actually I thought at one point Kobo had changed the original to no longer store the books within the database. Upgrading it's f/w in effect did away with the 100 free books, but I seemd to recall a file being able that was a zip of the 100 free classics.
I have the final version of the firmware for the Kobo Original and after the last factory reset, about six months ago, the free books are still there. In the final version of the firmware what Kobo did add was the ability to hide those 100 free books since some users did not want the books cluttering up their library.

Last edited by Joe563; 08-31-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:23 PM   #11
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
No matter what happens, you'll be able to re-download any of the classics you want, either from Gutenberg or from Kobo or from the library here at Mobileread (by all accounts, the best formatted books are at Mobileread). Here's a list of the 100 classics involved:

http://eastchesterlibrary.org/~eastc...obo%20100..pdf
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo