Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-11-2012, 01:55 AM   #1
Vashti
Vashti began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
How does ADE test whether virtual printing is disabled?

I have an EPUB3 book that I want to convert to PDF so I can read it on my Kindle 3. I thought converting it in Calibre would make it printable. However, when I try to send the converted file to Acrobat it reports back, "Virtual printing is not allowed".

How does it know? The tag must be on the ebook, right? Is it possible to edit the book so that I'll be able to print it to PDF?
Vashti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:01 AM   #2
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
If it's an epub3, then you aren't using ADE.

If it's a DRM issue then this is the wrong place to discuss circumvention.

If it's not a DRM issue, you will get better results by using calibre to conver to mobipocket format, rather than PDF.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2012, 12:47 AM   #3
Vashti

It is an unencrypted epub3. I'm using the ADE preview here: http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/digitaleditions1-8/

If I convert to mobipocket format, then I lose critical information in the file (the ruby characters), so that isn't an option, sadly.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:27 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashti View Post
If I convert to mobipocket format, then I lose critical information in the file (the ruby characters), so that isn't an option, sadly.
Are you converting to KF8 or old style Mobi? I don't know if KF8 will retain what you want, but it does offer more advanced formatting than older Mobi formats.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:41 AM   #5
Vashti

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Are you converting to KF8 or old style Mobi? I don't know if KF8 will retain what you want, but it does offer more advanced formatting than older Mobi formats.
KF8 retained the full formatting, but wasn't readable on my Kindle 3 at the time.

However! This has been indirectly solved by the new firmware update 3.4, which added KF8 support. It doesn't have vertical text support, but it does have the ruby characters which are what was important.
Advert