Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-07-2012, 01:05 PM   #1156
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pismire View Post
So, seeing how there are no up to date special offers - does that mean that the kindle screensavers do not display anything? As in, you basically have a Kindle without special offers without paying the extra fee?

Still waiting for my KT SO, so dont mind me asking....
Your Kindle will still display the ads that are on there. Currently, my Kindle has 17 ads on it and not one of them is a special offer. It's turned into a platform for AmazonLocal, which just celebrated its first year.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:08 PM   #1157
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabc View Post
The screensavers display Amazon Local offers or other ads (like the monthly 100 books for $3.99 or less). There just aren't any exclusive SO available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
No, the screensaver still displays ads and AmazonLocal offers. Right now, my screensaver has a Huggies HawaiianDiapers ad that says: "All Tiki. No Leaky."
I'm late
Advert
Old 06-07-2012, 01:14 PM   #1158
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I'm late
Me too. Andreabc's response wasn't there when I started my reply. I guess it takes me a while to formulate my thoughts and then type them.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:21 PM   #1159
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
Me too. Andreabc's response wasn't there when I started my reply. I guess it takes me a while to formulate my thoughts and then type them.
I'm even slower. Neither of you were there when I started. I need to stop multitasking when posting.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:50 PM   #1160
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
If there was an offer then, it never appeared on either my Kindle Keyboard or my Kindle NT.
$3 amazon instant video credit.

Don't remember if it showed up on all my KSO's
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2012, 03:52 PM   #1161
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post

It did on my K4 but that's the last one I've seen.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:53 PM   #1162
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post

That was an April offer, not a May offer, technically. The monkey posted it himself on 4/30.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #1163
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
That was an April offer, not a May offer, technically. The monkey posted it himself on 4/30.
Interesting - It held off until 5/1 to show up on mine.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:50 AM   #1164
jessicalynn
Zealot
jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Nook First Gen (broken), iPad, Kindle Touch SO
If you leave your wi-fi off for awhile it will stop displaying ads. It will display a picture with the text "turn on your wi-fi to see ads" or something like that.
jessicalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #1165
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Your Kindle will still display the ads that are on there. Currently, my Kindle has 17 ads on it and not one of them is a special offer. It's turned into a platform for AmazonLocal, which just celebrated its first year.
I actually liked the ads before Amazon started focusing on the local crap. I used to get a lot of great offers I could USE and I WANTED. Amazon actually sent a message (I think) way back when that allowed you to opt out of local ads. I opted out but they keep coming in greater numbers. Amazon also had a mechanism for selecting the types of ads you wanted. I selected my options but they had zero effect. Obviously both of those mechanisms were total BS as neither worked.

In my case the local ads are totally worthless. They are for items of no interest to me in one-off stores located 20+ miles away and I would never shop in those kinds of stores anyway. A typical example of AmazonLocal is a small discount (talking about a few pennies) on some home-made cookies sold by a store which overprices everything by 2x or 3x or higher, plus I would have to spend a few dollars on gasoline just to go there. Let me see, buy a large box of cookies at my grocery store for $2 or buy a small bag of cookies from Mom and Pop's Overpriced Store and basically pay $15. Yep, that's a good freaking offer!

They should go back to offering us $10 off on $20 gift cards and the $5 off on a $10 purchase and give us more offers of $1 books. I personally feel that the AmazonLocal offers are a major ripoff and I feel SOV (special offer violated).

Last edited by jswinden; 06-08-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:07 PM   #1166
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
Well said, Jack! I have a K3 with ads and also have a Touch that had ads when I bought it, but I paid the $40 to have them removed. The Amazon Local stuff is worthless to me. I got so sick of seeing an ad for teeth whitening so I took the plunge and paid to remove them.
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #1167
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My K3 3G is a pre-SO device, but I was intrigued by all the high-value offers that came out at the beginning. Tubemonkey, IIRC, got enough value out of the SOs to recoup the cost of the device, and possibly to cover the cost of removing SOs if desired.
But still, in my mind, I always heard "Special Offer" as "Ad."
After all, why would they give you a DISCOUNT on the device only to then give you more discounts?
Many companies CHARGE for those exclusive discount clubs, the don't pay YOU a kickback to join them.
So while the the giftcard offers and the like were really inciting (and were, of course, all offered before we non-SO device owners could opt in to your exclusive little club), did you really think it would last?

ApK
Old 06-08-2012, 01:15 PM   #1168
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Well said ApK. I'm bemused by the number of people unhappy with the ads on their ad supported Kindle. It's cheaper to buy for a reason, and that reason isn't to give you money off at Amazon, but because they sell the ad space.

Yes it was sold as 'with special offers' but that's just marketing speak for ads. Be happy you got some deals, keep hoping you'll get some more, but complain there's only local offers on it... c'mon be realistic!
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:53 PM   #1169
jswinden
Nameless Being

@l_macd, you are missing the point in a major way. I'm bemused that people without SOs are too thick to get why we are upset. We knew they were ads---duh! But in the USA what Amazon did was what we call a "bait and switch." They gave us really good offers (via ads) for a while but then they switched to crap no one wanted. I bought a K3 with SO and was able to save enough to buy a K4NT with SO when they were released. But the good offers that originally came fairly often are rarely offered now.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:01 PM   #1170
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I'm bemused that people without SOs are too thick to get why we are upset. We knew they were ads---duh! But in the USA what Amazon did was what we call a "bait and switch."
Umm...no...they gave you a discount to agree to have an ad-subsidized unit. Period.
As a bonus, the gave you some very valuable offers for a while. And they might again.
There's no bait and switch. There is a whiff of bratty entitlement.

If they charged you EXTRA with a promise of valuable special offers and then stopped giving them, then you might have cause to demand your money back.
As it is, if you are unhappy with the special offer deal, just demand that Amazon TAKE back the $40 you saved, and the Special offer feature will go away. There's even a button for that on the web site.

('Bait and Switch...' Give me a frickin' break. "Hello, Bunko Squad? Amazon gave me a discount, gave me a bunch of high-value money saving deals, then they started to give me only offers I don't have use for! They must be punished! <click> Hello?")

Last edited by ApK; 06-08-2012 at 04:05 PM.