Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-29-2007, 11:43 AM   #1
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
Question Increase in Sony Connect Library?

I wanted to run this by the group. Although they boast over 11,000 books available on Connect, when are they going to get a significant boost? We all get the e-mails with maybe 10-12 books added per week.....but it is so limited. With Itunes, if I don't feel like going to the store, or I want to save a couple of dollars on a CD, I can download, and they almost always have what I am looking for.

I am really looking forward to a true bookstore experience where most times when walking into a store, I have no idea what book to buy, I look around and find one by browsing. Or when someone suggests a book, I tend to write it down, go to the store and buy it.

I was really hoping to be able to get that experience when I bought my reader, but with the limited titles in Connect, I have found only 1 title out of at least 20 recommendations from friends that are available, and I have to REALLY hunt to find a new one when I am just browsing around. I am really looking forward to a true bookstore experience. What's holding it back at this point? Does anyone think there will be improvements in expanding their library anytime in the near future, or are we a long wait away from that? Am I expecting too much hoping this becomes similar to an Itunes/Ipod experience? It seems like Sony has slowed on the marketing of the reader while new competitors are lingering around ready to release other devices. I haven't seen much buzz or news on the reader in a while. I hope Sony isn't on the fringe of making this another obsolete Librie.
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 04:16 PM   #2
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
It is partly Connect but it is also the publishers -- many dead-tree publishers are reluctant or scared to go to e-book publishing, so Connect may not be able to get the books listed that it would like.

Every time you find a book you'd like to buy for the Reader but which isn't listed at Connect, you should let Connect know you would buy it from them as soon as they list it, and you should also contact the publisher and let them know you would buy it from the Connect site if they would publish it in a Reader format.

As the publishers realize there's an ever growing market for e-books they'll gradually hop on the bandwagon.

Record companies had no choice and they were hit over the head with electronic versions of their songs and the vast potential for electronic versions of the songs with the huge amount of song trading that went on with Kazaa and Napster.

It's much harder to convert a paper book to electronic format so there isn't such an in-your-face illegal market in trading newly released books.

So we have to let them know we're here and that we've got lots of money to spend.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2007, 08:31 PM   #3
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
If I'm not mistaken, it goes beyond the publisher as well. If the contract for the book doesn't include e-publishing rights (certain true of books pre-e,) the rights then have to be negotiated by the publisher with the author's agent. So each book, again assuming that e-publishing rights weren't negotiated from the start and that the author hasn't signed all rights away, has to be individually cleared before Connect (or anyone else) can get it.
Interest expressed might help a particular book or series get priority for negotiation, or not, depending on Connect.
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:26 PM   #4
jmmcg9
Zealot
jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, iPad Pro (12.9”), iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad Mini 5, Forma
On a positive note 2 of the last three books I have requested (Lay of the Land ,Richard Ford & House of Meetings , Martin Amis) through the help pulldown, have been added to the store. I would like to think someone actually acted on my recommendation! Cheers, Joe Mac
jmmcg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 12:30 AM   #5
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I just did a request on a few books. I hope I experience the same as you Joe. How long did it take from you writing to them until their release on Connect?
Advert
Old 03-30-2007, 11:26 AM   #6
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
the stuff i want might sell in the hundreds in hard cover and in the teens in electronic. everyone claims to read it, no one does. some i get directly from the publisher. one sent me original word files with many levels of edit still in them. that's how well they this stuff sells.
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 01:09 PM   #7
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Like what Duke?
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 04:43 PM   #8
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
scripts, plays, film, tv
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 09:55 PM   #9
jmmcg9
Zealot
jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, iPad Pro (12.9”), iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad Mini 5, Forma
I think it was about three weeks for the Martin Amis book. Lay of the Land may have been a little longer. Note, they didn't send me any notification, I just checked back hoping they would show up.
Thx, Joe Mac
jmmcg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 06:36 PM   #10
phigdon
phigdon began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
The thing to remember too is that there a about a dozen categories. It’s unrealistic to think that there would be a lot of new books added to all the categories every week Personally I would love it if they added 10 to 12 new titles a week in Sci-fi and Fantasy.

Has anyone else noticed a lot of typo's in the Connect books?
phigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 07:17 PM   #11
DougFNJ
Avid Reader

I'm not talking about categories, I read books from all varieties of categories. I'm talking generally boosting the amounts of books generally from the 10-12 thousand to much more than 10-12 books per week.

As far as typo's, I haven't noticed.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:46 PM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Typos seems to depend on the book. Some are fine, and others seem to have a lot of them, it may depend on who provides the original digital text.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 12:02 PM   #13
Lisana
GadgetGirl
Lisana began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader / eBookman (currently misplaced)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFNJ
We all get the e-mails with maybe 10-12 books added per week.....but it is so limited.
Wow, I missed out somewhere, I've never gotten an email from them with new book information. Hmmm... and yes I've registered, got my credit and spent it and all that.
Lisana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 12:32 PM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I think you have to specifically opt in for the e-mails ....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 05:09 PM   #15
Lisana
GadgetGirl
Lisana began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader / eBookman (currently misplaced)
That's probably what it is.

Found the setting, thanks!

Last edited by Lisana; 04-05-2007 at 05:12 PM.
Lisana is offline   Reply With Quote