Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-10-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Kindle 3 + Calibre + PogoPlug = Works!!!

I could never get the Calibre Sever to work even though =X= spent many PM hours trying to help me.

I decided to go another way. I purchased a PogoPlug which allows me to access my Calibre Library and any to her files I want from anywhere as long as I have an internet connection. I also like that I don't have to leave a computer running at home in order to access my chosen files.

Try as I might, I could not connect to my PogoPlug Drive with my Kindle 2. I'm not sure what the issue is but it didn't work. I did post on the PogoPlugged user site my interested in making the software Kindle friendly but I've seen no movement in that direction.

On a whim, I decided to test it again with the new WebKit browser on my new Kindle 3. It worked!! Now truth be told, it was not fast and smooth. I had to change the page zoom a few times because it was hard to get the cursor where I needed to click if the text was too small. I probably should have tried it in landscape mode but it didn't cross my mind at the time.

It wasn't the prettiest method but I'm very happy that it can be done.
See the pics below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1_PC.gif
Views:	941
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	58018   Click image for larger version

Name:	2_PC.gif
Views:	636
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	58019   Click image for larger version

Name:	3_PC.gif
Views:	571
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	58020   Click image for larger version

Name:	4_PC.gif
Views:	518
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	58021   Click image for larger version

Name:	5_PC.gif
Views:	475
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	58022   Click image for larger version

Name:	6_PC.gif
Views:	506
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	58023   Click image for larger version

Name:	7_PC.gif
Views:	517
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	58024   Click image for larger version

Name:	8_PC.gif
Views:	574
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	58025   Click image for larger version

Name:	9_PC.gif
Views:	517
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	58026  
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:27 PM   #2
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
how's pogoplug different from dropbox?
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:34 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesco View Post
how's pogoplug different from dropbox?
It's a device in my own home which creates my own personal cloud. Depending on how much you want to keep in your cloud it can be way less expensive than DropBox. I've already hit my limit on the freebie DropBox account and I'm not one to try to sign people up to get more space and I don't want to spend $10 a month to get more storage.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:18 AM   #4
karthwyne
Connoisseur
karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Wifi, Kindle US
I'd suggest watching the prices and getting a Seagate FreeAgent Dockstar next time they are below $30 (http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/pro...gent_dockstar/ still has them for $40 if you don't want to wait) for those thinking of going pogoplug.
Allows 3 regular USB drives and 1 mini-USB. Runs the pogoplug and can be "hacked" to do many other things including WRT.

Certainly a great alternative to dropbox, plus you control it more.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r244...kStar-for-2499
karthwyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:45 AM   #5
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
These both sound like interesting alternatives to Dropbox and I like the idea of my own personal cloud.

The one beauty of Dropbox, of course, is that you can give access to different people for certain folders and share large files with them no matter where they are. I agree with you Daffy, that you can quickly use up your "free" dropbox allotment and that's a huge problem of using it for something like your Calibre library.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:59 AM   #6
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
for me 2GB are more than enough, but it's good to know my options!
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:48 AM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
These both sound like interesting alternatives to Dropbox and I like the idea of my own personal cloud.

The one beauty of Dropbox, of course, is that you can give access to different people for certain folders and share large files with them no matter where they are. I agree with you Daffy, that you can quickly use up your "free" dropbox allotment and that's a huge problem of using it for something like your Calibre library.

cheers
The same can be done with the PogoPlug.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:54 AM   #8
jangell2
Addict
jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I like the the Dockstar except that, apparently, the only HD you can plug into it is a Free Agent Go.
jangell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:06 PM   #9
flandroid
Connoisseur
flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2/3/4/PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jangell2 View Post
I like the the Dockstar except that, apparently, the only HD you can plug into it is a Free Agent Go.
Turn it around. There are two other USB ports on the back, and one on the side.
flandroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:55 PM   #10
karthwyne
Connoisseur
karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Wifi, Kindle US
Quote:
Originally Posted by jangell2 View Post
Not at all true. I have a WD external drive and a dual slot Thermaltake BlacX with 2 internal drives plugged into mine. It reads them all just fine.
karthwyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:04 PM   #11
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I could never get the Calibre Sever to work even though =X= spent many PM hours trying to help me.
You cut me...You cut me deep Daffy.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:36 PM   #12
Viseguy
Just a kid from Bklyn
Viseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi; Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post

cheers
The same can be done with the PogoPlug.
What about file syncing -- something that Dropbox does extremely well. If you establish a "My Dropbox" folder in multiple computers, every time any of those computers is connected to the Internet, all of the files in the folder are updated to the latest versions. Will Pogoplug do that?

Also, Dropbox gives you 30 days' worth of undelete for all files in the Dropbox folder. Invaluable.

If Pogoplug doesn't offer those features, the next question is: Will Pogoplug and Dropbox coexist peacefully?
Viseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:49 PM   #13
loveangel
Banned
loveangel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
1gb with dropbox is enough for me
loveangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:22 PM   #14
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viseguy View Post
What about file syncing -- something that Dropbox does extremely well. If you establish a "My Dropbox" folder in multiple computers, every time any of those computers is connected to the Internet, all of the files in the folder are updated to the latest versions. Will Pogoplug do that?

Also, Dropbox gives you 30 days' worth of undelete for all files in the Dropbox folder. Invaluable.

If Pogoplug doesn't offer those features, the next question is: Will Pogoplug and Dropbox coexist peacefully?
The PogoPlug shows up as a working drive on any computer I use to sign-in to it (not a folder like DropBox in the My Documents folder). It does not leave copies of the files on each computer like dropbox. I can sign-n via the web or an app on each computer.

It's very similar to DropBox. The advantage is that I can have as much storage as I want without a monthly fee. Currently I am using a 1 TB drive (and I could add more drives if I chose).

Go to the Tekzilla.com website. Tekzilla did a piece on the PogoPlug a few months ago which convinced me to buy one.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:55 PM   #15
Viseguy
Just a kid from Bklyn
Viseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi; Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Quote:
The PogoPlug shows up as a working drive on any computer I use to sign-in to it (not a folder like DropBox in the My Documents folder). [...]

Go to the Tekzilla.com website. Tekzilla did a piece on the PogoPlug a few months ago which convinced me to buy one.
Thanks. I watched the Tekzilla video. They mention that it does file-syncing on "selected folders"; I'm guessing that if I "selected" my Dropbox folder that it would sync it on the mass storage device connected to the Pogoplug. Anyway, for $45, I figured what could I lose? I ordered one.

BTW, you can make your Dropbox folder show up as a drive in Windows. Click Start > All Programs; then right-click on Startup and click Open. Create a shortcut in the Startup folder with the following command (edit the drive letter as desired and edit the path to "My Dropbox" as necessary):

subst X: "C:\My Dropbox"

After you restart your computer (and every time you boot up), the Dropbox folder will show up as drive X:. This is really handy if you have a Dropbox folder on multiple computers with different drive and path configurations. The Dropbox is always drive X:.
Viseguy is offline   Reply With Quote