Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-10-2010, 09:21 AM   #1
rjpawlak
Enthusiast
rjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Nook STR and Nook Tablet
PRS-900 or PRS-600 on a plane?

Hi Guys,

I've been lurking a while, and haev been researching which reader fits my bill. I have pretty much settled on the PRS-900, but screen readability concerns are holding me back. I do fly a fair amount, and was wondering what the reading experience is like with the PRS-900 and typical overhead lighting that one finds on planes.

Any thoughts?

Bob

Last edited by rjpawlak; 02-10-2010 at 09:33 AM. Reason: suggested to open up thread to more users
rjpawlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:27 AM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Hrmm, I have a 505 and didn't have a problem, but that's a clearer screen. You could open this discussion up to those who have a 600, which has the same screen as a 900.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2010, 09:34 AM   #3
rjpawlak
Enthusiast
rjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchfork

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Hrmm, I have a 505 and didn't have a problem, but that's a clearer screen. You could open this discussion up to those who have a 600, which has the same screen as a 900.
Thanks! good suggestion. I didn't see a way to change the tags though.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:35 AM   #4
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
I have a 600 and it works just fine on a plane. The overhead light is enough for me in a completely dark plane (overnight flights). Of course everyone has their own opinions about backlights and screens so you really won't know until you try it yourself. Window seat with daylight coming in is perfect of course.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:59 AM   #5
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
I agree with scottjl. It works plenty good with overhead light on a plane.
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2010, 10:53 AM   #6
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I've flown with a 505 and a 600 and the overhead lights work fine.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:34 PM   #7
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
I would recommend purchasing a small book light to take with you as a backup solution.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:56 PM   #8
rjpawlak
Enthusiast

Thanks for all the input - from the posts here, it appears as though I'll be ok without the light.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:44 PM   #9
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I had the 600 with me on my last trip and it worked fine on the plane with plenty of light shining from above. I did have an extra light in my handbag though - just in case - but didn't need it on the plane.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:14 PM   #10
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
I read my 700 on airplanes without issues utilizing the overhead light.

Gunner...

Last edited by Gunnerp245; 02-10-2010 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Grammar.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:21 PM   #11
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
I am on my first business trip with my new 900. I thought it looked great on the plane with sunlight streaming in the window. However, I do have issues with the lack of contrast in normal room lighting where I would usually read books.

I got this reader last Saturday but I will be returning it to the store this Saturday. I have felt my eyes hurting when reading in normal light and that is not acceptable. Also, I don't think I should need an extra light to read under normal conditions.

Having said that, having the NY Times automatically appear every morning is way better than the USA Today hotels seem to favor. The feature set is also very good and well designed on the 900. I marked up a PDF of a flowchart on my flight out here. It's not paper but it definitely is easier to carry a lot of documents across an airport.

Overall, I think Sony did a fine job on the 900 in every area except the screen. If I could get the Nook screen on it, I would keep it.

BTW, I ordered my Nook and it should be there when I get home from my trip. No touchscreen but no glare and higher contrast. It's a trade-off. Hope this helps.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:53 PM   #12
tegelad
tegelad began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo elipse2e, sage, libra2, forma amazon oasis3, scribe, boox ult c
It works perfectly ... however, I prefer my PRS-700 over it with the built in backlight .... I find it less intrusive on fellow passangers when doing red-eyes ....

Though you can spend the extra $70 for the side arm light that sony sells (which btw is an excellent component)

+-ADT
tegelad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:42 AM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegelad View Post
It works perfectly ... however, I prefer my PRS-700 over it with the built in backlight .... I find it less intrusive on fellow passangers when doing red-eyes ....

Though you can spend the extra $70 for the side arm light that sony sells (which btw is an excellent component)

+-ADT

That $70 price seems high. I paid $50 for mine.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 02-11-2010 at 09:19 AM. Reason: added "paid"
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:16 AM   #14
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel47 View Post
BTW, I ordered my Nook and it should be there when I get home from my trip. No touchscreen but no glare and higher contrast. It's a trade-off. Hope this helps.
Enjoy your nook!
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:21 AM   #15
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Enjoy your nook!
Thanks. It's a shame since I lusted after the 900 since it was announced last September or October.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flying, prs-900