Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-10-2008, 05:10 AM   #1
Mindy
Away with the Faeries
Mindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Sony PRS 650
No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency

Managed to get through 3/4 of No 1. Ladies Detective Agency (Alexander McCall Smith) pre-anaesthesia yesterday and am loving it. Have the next two in the series already lined up (all published to date are available as ebooks).

When I first saw it on the shelves I thought it sounded a bit 'twee' so didn't even bother reading the back, butI saw the Minghella adaptation at Christmas which was fantastically amazingly brilliant and made me really want to read it; the book is different enough that it doesn't feel boring or repetitive reading it but you can see how the televisation has really kept to the spirit, essence and style of the writing.

Highly, highly recommend.
Both the book and the adaptation, in fact.
Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:41 AM   #2
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindy View Post
Managed to get through 3/4 of No 1. Ladies Detective Agency (Alexander McCall Smith) pre-anaesthesia yesterday and am loving it. Have the next two in the series already lined up (all published to date are available as ebooks).

When I first saw it on the shelves I thought it sounded a bit 'twee' so didn't even bother reading the back, butI saw the Minghella adaptation at Christmas which was fantastically amazingly brilliant and made me really want to read it; the book is different enough that it doesn't feel boring or repetitive reading it but you can see how the televisation has really kept to the spirit, essence and style of the writing.

Highly, highly recommend.
Both the book and the adaptation, in fact.
I discovered the series before it *was* a series (i.e. just after the first book was published). I really like Mma Ramotse and her gentle approach to her career as a private investigator.

McCall Smith's books show Botswana in a very positive regard, and Mma Ramotse always reflects on her love for her country.

All-in-all, this is a delightful series that I heartily recommend. Now I just need to find out how to get to view the mini-series. I'm hoping PBS (or my local PBS station) will pick it up.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2008, 11:54 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's being released (in the UK, at least) on DVD on 1st December this year. Note that it wasn't a mini-series, but a "TV movie" about 2h long.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 03:29 PM   #4
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
My wife devours Alexander McCall Smith's books. I haven't had a chance to pick one up yet, as I am still trudging through 'The Stand' by Steven King and taking a trip down memory lane re-reading 'The Lord of the Rings' by J.R.R. Tolkien.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 01:47 AM   #5
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Great place Botswana. Anything that shows it in a good light I am positive about.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2008, 06:09 PM   #6
lmarie
Dilettante
lmarie doesn't litterlmarie doesn't litter

Device: EB1150, Cybook Gen3, Kobo Touch
Loved the first one (read years ago), hope to read the rest! (Mystery addict here.)
lmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 07:19 PM   #7
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Cool Mama Precious Ramotswe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmarie View Post
Loved the first one (read years ago), hope to read the rest! (Mystery addict here.)
Herewith the books in order in the series.

The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency
Morality for Beautiful Girls
The Kalahari Typing School for Men
Tears of the Giraffe
The Full Cupboard of Life
In the Company of Cheerful Ladies

I have them in pbooks and the latest one (cannot remember the name) is available in ebook, but was not able to buy it from Australia.

Weird!!

McCall has also opened an amateur theatre in Botswana for budding thespians.
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 07:04 AM   #8
Mindy
Away with the Faeries
Mindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipse

Pedantic Post

Correct order is:

Tears of the Giraffe
Then:
Blue Shoes and Happiness
The Good Husband of Zebra Drive
The Miracle at Speedy Motors

He obviously loves Botswana, and the more I read the more I think I would too!
Old 09-14-2008, 01:24 AM   #9
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindy View Post
Correct order is:

Tears of the Giraffe
Then:
Blue Shoes and Happiness
The Good Husband of Zebra Drive
The Miracle at Speedy Motors

He obviously loves Botswana, and the more I read the more I think I would too!

I stand completely and utterly corrected.
Hangs head in shame.
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 05:54 AM   #10
Mindy
Away with the Faeries

Quick cross-reference to this post which has details about a new piece from him called Corduroy Mansions which is being made available as a free serialisation through The Telegraph.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:43 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'd recommend too his "Sunday Philosophy Club" series. They are mystery stories set in Scotland, and well worth reading.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:35 PM   #12
rheostaticsfan
Zealot
rheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle, iOS, Blackberry, Sony DPT (pdfs)
His "Portugese Irregular Verbs" series (available in a single pbook volume entitled The 2 1/2 Pillars of Wisdom) is also a lot of fun. The main character isn't quite a lovable as Mma Ramotswe, however.
rheostaticsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 05:02 PM   #13
Marysart
Member Retired
Marysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enough

Device: none
I know this is an old thread, but for those who are interested and are lucky enough to receive the regular BBC ( Not Sucky BBC prime) the new series is starting on BBC1 tomorrow evening at 21.00u uk time.

Last edited by Marysart; 03-14-2009 at 05:05 PM. Reason: answered my own question
Marysart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 03:53 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

You beat me to it - I was going to post the same thing myself! Yes, a 6-part series of 1h programmes starting at 9pm (UK time) on Sundays on BBC1.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:07 PM   #15
Marysart
Member Retired
Marysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You beat me to it - I was going to post the same thing myself! Yes, a 6-part series of 1h programmes starting at 9pm (UK time) on Sundays on BBC1.
Marysart is offline   Reply With Quote