Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #661
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
An internal 4GB Sandisk SD-card. LOL. Then why have "internal" memory at al? Just position this slot at the edge and make it the primary one, requiring the user to put an SD-card in there to be able to use the device, just as you'd put a SIM-card into a telephone.

By doing it this way, they'd be able to sell the Aura in 2GB up to 32GB versions with almost negligile differences in cost to them. Maybe they should pull an Apple: €50 more for each higher version. After people discover that the "internal" memory is provided by an SD-card that just costs €5 and can be replaced if desired, they'd sure be upset... and feel set up too...
You could look at it as the internal SD card is the C: drive and the external
SD card is your D: drive. My C: drive has been updated a number of times,
the last time from a WD Raptor to a Samsung 830 SSD.

The Aura HD comes apart very easily, compared to most such devices I've
taken apart. (A long standing bad habit of mine.) Compared to most devices
that solder their memory onto the pc board, this approach is much more to
my liking.

"Sometimes it's good to be a nerd!"

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #662
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
An internal 4GB Sandisk SD-card. LOL. Then why have "internal" memory at al? Just position this slot at the edge and make it the primary one, requiring the user to put an SD-card in there to be able to use the device, just as you'd put a SIM-card into a telephone.
Where would they put the firmware then if the microSD card is user supplied? Do agree it would be nifty if the "internal" SD card were user accessible.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2013, 06:13 PM   #663
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
It appears to be a SanDisk class 4 4GB MicroSD. I have some Class 10
8GB MicroSD cards on the way from Newegg, one of them may be destined
to replace the 4GB, if I can follow the instructions to make the exchange.
I already made the image of the current memory.

Luck;
Ken
I'd suggest looking at a SanDisk class 4 uSD card instead. Do a search on small block writes for the reasons why. I posted some stuff in the memory upgrade with pictures thread in the Developer's Corner.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:19 PM   #664
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:

Luck;
Ken
Remember; no guarantee that a class 10 card will be faster than a class 4 was. There are some threads (maybe in the Dev. area) discussing SD cards and performance in other Kobos.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:19 PM   #665
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I'd suggest looking at a SanDisk class 4 uSD card instead. Do a search on small block writes for the reasons why. I posted some stuff in the memory upgrade with pictures thread in the Developer's Corner.

Regards,
David
What he said!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #666
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Where would they put the firmware then if the microSD card is user supplied? Do agree it would be nifty if the "internal" SD card were user accessible.
Just put it into a reprogrammable ROM, like camera manufacturers do.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #667
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
Quote:

Luck;
Ken
If it isn't too much trouble, would you be willing to share that image? I'd kinda like to poke around and see what's new.
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:25 PM   #668
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Nothing wrong with a class 10 card as long as its 4k random read/write is decent. Basically, I'd stick to SanDisk or Samsung cards. Cards from other manufacturers tend to have small block performance that are down the crapper.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #669
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
does this mean you can clone it to a 32gb card and get ~30gb internal memory for your books?

course there isn't much point to doing it since it already has a sd slot
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #670
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinShort View Post
If it isn't too much trouble, would you be willing to share that image? I'd kinda like to poke around and see what's new.
It is an image of the entire drive 3.8GB, so it didn't take as an attachment.

If I had the tools loaded to breakout the partitions, from the .img ...
I guess I could go ahead and write the image to one of the SD cards I have
on hand and read that with the tools I have.
-----------------------
Sorry, even the rootfs.img is 265MB.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 05-02-2013 at 08:52 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:41 PM   #671
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Thanks for the warning. Looks like it might be better to stick to 32GB cards, along with not mixing manga and ebooks on the same card. Manga is bigger so 32GB (~30GiB formatted) would hold roughly 600 volumes (at an average of 50MiB/volume) so I'm thinking it wouldn't be too awful. How does thumbnail generation work? Does it do it when you insert a new card? Because I'm thinking that'll be the most CPU intensive/time consuming given manga tend not to have metadata thus, there's less data that needs to be processed compared to a normal epub ebook.
The cover images are generated when needed. So, the first time it needs to display a cover image, it generates the three images needed. These are different the sizes used for the lists, sleep cover and the details page.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:16 AM   #672
Nil Einne
Connoisseur
Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
So no one tried a FAT32 formatted 64GB or more yet?

BTW the primary reason you can't format a partition larger then 32GIB with FAT32 with the default Windows formatting utility is because MS disabled it. There's no real technical reason why that should be the limit or a limit that makes sense although FAT32 does have its disadvantages. The Windows limit is probably the reason SDHC was limited to 32 GIB.

Last edited by Nil Einne; 05-03-2013 at 06:25 AM.
Nil Einne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:21 AM   #673
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
I would but I don't even have a 64GB card
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:22 AM   #674
Nil Einne
Connoisseur
Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Seems that the Espresso is now officially out of stock on the Kobo site as well, they don't let you order it. Was still order-able when I was trying yesterday :-(

Edit: If you con the website it says
Code:
        Some of the products are currently out of stock
        This product is currently out of stock.

Last edited by Nil Einne; 05-03-2013 at 07:26 AM.
Nil Einne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:25 AM   #675
SouLThinking
Enthusiast
SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Nook Color
Angry Still waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by alism View Post
I ordered mine on the 17th. The charge went through on the 19th. I received the tracking info on the 23rd and received the Aura today (24th). Even though I received the tracking info on 23rd it was sent on the 20th so you might not receive the tracking info until days after it has been shipped.
Here it is 5/3. I ordered on 4/18. I finally received the invoice but no tracking number. I don't get it!
SouLThinking is offline   Reply With Quote