Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 03-16-2011, 01:09 PM   #1
yuliark
yuliark began at the beginning.

Device: none
Need help in choosing ereader for Russian language!

My father loves to read and he wants to buy an ereader. He lives in Israel but reads mostly (if not only) Russia language books.
I am new to ereader world and have to admit didn’t realize how complicated things are, when my Father asked for help.
I am looking for ereader with Russian capability, reading books downloaded from sites like lib.ru, easy operated and not too expensive.
After googling for three hours I realize I need help.
As I understand my choices are: Pocketbook 301 (simple enough) but not having as wide market in US (I live in US) as in Europe the information I could find is limited. The other choices are Kindle3 that supports Russian. Regarding Nook and Sony couldn’t tell if they support Russian.
Thank you
yuliark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:53 PM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to Mobileread ....

Ask a similar question in Which Reader Forum? and you'll get some response ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2011, 02:55 PM   #3
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Hi, welcome to MR from the Netherlands
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:40 PM   #4
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Welcome!

All Pocketbooks should be a fine choice. The company is Ukrainian and the biggest ereader seller in the Russian countries. Sony should do also, there is a study that says Sony is the second biggest seller over there, so it must be able to read Russian, mustn't it?

Check out dulinsbooks for the PB's he is a board member, too and will for sure help you make your decision.

Your dad will have tons of fun with his new reader as we all have and you're going to miss it when you don't buy one for yourself
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:56 PM   #5
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Definitely, I think a Pocketbook 301 is what you are looking for. Menu's and everything can be in Russian. Plus as you mention its quite easy to operate.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2011, 04:36 PM   #6
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Or you go for an ItalicaReader. It is the same hardware as the 301 and can read Russian just as fine. It is now sold for 99€ by the manufacturer whereas the stores still sell it for 199€.

TechSpecs

Quote:
italica opens .txt, .rtf, .pdf, .fb2, .epub, .html, and .prc files including image files such as .bmp, .jpg, and .gif. italica is embedded with Adobe® Reader® Mobile software, allowing you to read DRM protected ePUB and PDF files.

It is also able to display books in some of the world`s most popular languages including English, Deutsch, Dutch, French, Spanish, Russian, Italian and Swedish.

With functions such as `turn page`, `add bookmark`, `screen orientation`, `zoom in` and `zoom out`, italica eReader brings comic books to literature to life and is suitable for readers both young and old.
They are amazingly nice and helpful and I am sure will be delighted to send one reader down to your father in Israel.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:55 PM   #7
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Welcome yuliark!

Don't make a decision without first considering the jetBooks. They read Russian and I think come with a Russian dictionary.

Here's an open box offer on the jetBook Lite;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...010R-_-Product
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:59 PM   #8
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi yuliark and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote