Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-14-2010, 05:51 PM   #1
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Discount codes not working at kobobooks.com

I have an interesting problem.
Since late November I have been unable to use ANY discount codes when I shop at kobobooks.com - I've saved heaps of money and used the library a lot but with Christmas coming I need to get this fixed.
I have opened a ticket with Kobo but haven't heard anything yet.

The first few codes I used were ones I found here at MR posted by other people so when they didn't work I wasn't too fazed - maybe they weren't valid in Australia or they just didn't apply to the particular books I wanted. I was full of excuses why it wasn't working.
But the last 3 codes I have tried were sent by Kobo to me and they supposedly applied to ALL books so I tried with EVERY book I could find until my fingers hurt.
I either get a message that just said error or the update icon freezes or after taking forever the update icon disappears but the price stays the same. I have never got a message saying that the code wasn't valid (as I did previously when using expired or non valid codes.)

Today I opened the Kobo Desktop app to see about the firmwear upgrade and feeling adventuous I linked to the store, entered the discount code and like magic I bought a new book at the reduced price.
Thinking the problem was over (and not being a fan of the desktop app) I went back into Kobobooks.com but I still couldn't use the discount code. Back to the desktop app and it works fine on another book.

Sooooo? Any ideas?

At the moment all I can come up with is that it is some type of plot to get me to use the desk top app!!
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:45 PM   #2
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post
I have an interesting problem.
Since late November I have been unable to use ANY discount codes when I shop at kobobooks.com
We had a problem processing some promo codes on kobobooks.com that we fixed on Friday. Give it another shot and let me know if it's still broken.
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2010, 12:50 AM   #3
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have just tried kobobooks.com again and it's still not working for me.
The code I am using is dec13ww27 which worked when I went to the store via the desktop app.

Thanks for your assistance with this I really appreciate it.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:16 PM   #4
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
Are you trying the same book? Looking at our logs I haven't seen any problems with that particular code.
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:54 PM   #5
HarleyB
Fanatic

I have tried (over the past few weeks) with at least 40 or 50 books in an attempt to make some of the codes work. I have used about 3 or 4 different codes - dec9ww30, dec6ww35 and several others that I can't remember anymore.
dec13ww27 wouldn't work on kobobooks.com but did work on the desktop app where I successfully purchased Truth by Peter Temple and The Hundred-Foot Journey by Richard C Morais.

I am currently trying to use the 1stbirthday code but it's not working at kobobooks.com I haven't tried on the app yet because I really prefer to buy from kobobooks.com and not use the app.
Advert
Old 12-15-2010, 10:26 PM   #6
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
the fifty off is working for me i just bought a bold fresh piece of humanity by bill o'reilly
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:41 PM   #7
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I have a suggestion/question for HarleyB. I'm not at home, so I can't confirm this, but I've been stopped from entering data in various websites because I have the NoScript Addon in my Foxfire browser and I didn't notice there was a script on the page I had to allow.

Maybe you could check your browser and see if it's blocking scripts?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:47 AM   #8
HarleyB
Fanatic

Thanks for the suggestion Fizzy but it didn't help.

I have to say now I am really pissed off. After messing about all day trying to get kobobooks.com to work with the birthday code I gave up and went to the desktop but it doesn't even work there for me!

I can only think kobo really doesn't want me as a customer anymore

Last edited by HarleyB; 12-16-2010 at 05:12 AM.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:38 AM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Have you cleared your Kobo-related cookies? You may also want to dump temp files. I haven't seen this particular problem with Kobo, but it does remind me of similar issues with other things for which the cookies bit has worked. Close your browser after you have done it and then reopen.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:00 AM   #10
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
+1 Taming' post, though I'd actually try clearing cache and cookies for everything, not just Kobo. (It's easier too.) Since you've reported sporadic success with the desktop app, I'm wondering if it's something to do with the browser, either in its settings or a third-party plugin/extension/addon. Do try another browser if possible.

In regards to the birthday code, when did you try it on the desktop app? It might have expired, since it was only supposed to work for one day (presumably with Canadian time in mind).
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:41 AM   #11
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Another thing to try, use a different browser. I have 3 and sometimes IE works, sometimes FireFox - and then I try Google Chrome as a last resort. If it is a cookie issue they most likely won't be sharing them.

I use FireFox for purchasing from kobobooks.com; it's my default browser and I haven't had issues with this.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:50 AM   #12
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The coupons appear to work to the deadline associated with the user's timezone. I know I have purchased books right before midnight in my time zone when they would have expired in Toronto. They most probably do that via the IP address. I have no idea what they do with one day sales in terms of the international dateline--maybe someone from Oz can weigh in on this.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:50 AM   #13
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I have no idea what they do with one day sales in terms of the international dateline--maybe someone from Oz can weigh in on this.
I went back and looked at the terms and conditions for the 50% off sale, and the end period was 11:59 PM GMT, 15 Dec. This is from the web version of the email I got. I had thought it would depend on the user's timezone too, but perhaps not.

(Now I'm rather alarmed at the keen interest I seem to be taking in boring terms and conditions.)
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:33 AM   #14
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Did you get the email in a timely way--that would mean when it was still the 15th where you are? I live where it is -7 GMT.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:21 PM   #15
HarleyB
Fanatic

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I did EVERYTHING suggested here and something worked.

When I used the new holiday code I finally saw my old friend the little whirly thing (thanks to taming for that description from another thread) instead of the horrible cross (which I have truely come to hate!) and then best of all the price actually changed!
Still a bit miffed that I missed out on 50% off - I was going to make such good use of that code - there are some expensive books on my wish list. But it's Christmas - who knows we might be lucky enough to get another one.