Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-29-2012, 06:03 AM   #1
Innomen
Innomen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard
Launch Tag Editor Directly?

Within the metadata editor there is a general tag editor.

Is there a way to add this to the tool bar? Or otherwise get to it without having to launch edit meta data?

Maybe a keyboard shortcut?

I'd like to be able to double click the tags field and have the tags box expand or otherwise give me instant access to the tags of the book in question but all it does is launch the document for viewing.
Innomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:17 AM   #2
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Shift-Alt-T opens the tag browser.
Preferences-Keyboard, lists other available shortcuts.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:56 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The only other way I know of is:
Click The Button arrow, at the bottom of Tag Browser: Manage Authors,Tags,Series

I would love to have this menu function added to the preferences menu. I don't always have the Tag browser open.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:46 AM   #4
Innomen
Innomen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I would love to have this menu function added to the preferences menu. I don't always have the Tag browser open.
Ok good so it's not just me and I'm not just missing something. Thanks for the help guys
Innomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:48 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innomen View Post
I'd like to be able to double click the tags field and have the tags box expand or otherwise give me instant access to the tags of the book in question but all it does is launch the document for viewing.
If I am reading this correctly, you want to directly edit the tags on the library spreadsheet. You are also wondering if the tag editor (not the same as the tag browser or manage tags) is available outside the metadata editor.

For the first, on windows you click in the tags field and press F2. This opens the cell on the spreadsheet and makes it editable. You can also control what double-clicking on a cell does by changing the tweak "Control behavior of the book list (ID: doubleclick_on_library_view)". For example, you can make double-click open the cell instead of launching the metadata editor.

For the second, there isn't any way to get to that tag editor except in metadata edit.

Quickview will help navigate the tags for a book, which might help depending on what you are trying to do. For example, Quickview makes it very easy to explore which other books share a tag (or series or author or many other things) with the current book. You can Quickview the tags of a book by single-clicking in the tags cell for that book then pressing Q.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:25 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
For the second, there isn't any way to get to that tag editor except in metadata edit.
@chaley - Is that a statement of 'what is' or is it a statement that it 'can't be done' due to technical or structural reasons. I too wish the Metadata Tag Editor was available from the 'library spreadsheet' - I'd rate this as a 'nice to have'

I also wish the Metadata Date Editor was available from the 'library spreadsheet' - so that I had 'Clear' and 'Set to Today' (including the TIME) buttons at the top of the calendar control - I'd rate this as a 'even nicer to have'

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:46 AM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@chaley - Is that a statement of 'what is' or is it a statement that it 'can't be done' due to technical or structural reasons.
It is a statement of 'what is'. Moving it to 'what will be' requires someone interested in taking on the initial work and the resulting support load.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:03 AM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
It is a statement of 'what is'. Moving it to 'what will be' requires someone interested in taking on the initial work and the resulting support load.
Thanks - I wont pursue them, they're only minor annoyances.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:52 AM   #9
Pachuco
Pachuco began at the beginning.

Device: Asus TF700T
For editing tags, the "Tag Browser" is inferior to the "Tag Editor", which allow use of filters to quickly narrow down existing tags (I'm not sure when the latter was added but it is in Calibre v. 1.19).

The concept of "Editor" is geared towards an individual book. It could be made universal if a right-click of an existing tag would allow us to edit it. That I find would be extremely handy!

Having such an enhanced "Tag Editor" available as both a toolbar action/button and a keyboard shortcut would be close to perfect (I presently have 1,504 tags).

Cheers!

Last edited by Pachuco; 01-12-2014 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Clarification
Pachuco is offline   Reply With Quote