Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 06-13-2008, 04:37 PM   #1
TedPark
Zealot
TedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Sony 505
eBooks I Want

Maybe I earned enough Karma this week that somebody will actually care what I think so at risk of exposing far too much about my own personality, here are some things that are needed. No, I didn't bother checking on copyright issues - but at least most of these should be OK.

WANT REAL BAD:

Beckett - Waiting for Godot
Darwin - The Descent of Man
Dumas, Alexandre - Le Reine Margot
Foote, Shelby - The Civil War
Forster, E. M. - A Passage to India
Gibbon - History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire
Graves, Robert - I, Claudius
Hugo, Victor - The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Huxley, Aldous - Brave New World
Machiavelli, Niccolo - The Prince
Maurier, Daphne du - Rebecca
Nietzsche, Friedrich Wilhelm - The Will to Power
Proust, Marcel - Remembrance of Things Past [THE WHOLE THING IN ONE BIT BOOK]
Russell - An Inquiry into Meaning and Truth
Waugh, Evelyn - Brideshead Revisited

OTHERS NEEDED (MOST OF THESE JUST ROUND OUT COLLECTIONS THAT SOMEONE ALREADY STARTED):

Aristophanes - Clouds
Aristophanes - The Birds
Balzac, Honoré de - Lost Illusions
Byron, Lord - Childe Harold's Pilgrimage
Churchill, Winston - The Second World War
Conrad, Joseph - The Shadow Line
Defoe, Daniel - Roxana
Epictetus - Discourses
Erasmus, Desiderius - The Praise of Folly
Euripides - Electra
Freud, Sigmund - Civilization and Its Discontents
Freud, Sigmund - New Introductory Lectures on Psychoanalysis
Goethe, Johann Wolfgang von - Wilhelm Meister's Apprenticeship
Gogol, Nikolay - The Diary of a Madman
Hammett, Dashiell - The Maltese Falcon
Hemingway, Ernest - A Farewell to Arms
Hemingway, Ernest - For Whom the Bell Tolls
Hemingway, Ernest - The Old Man and the Sea
Hemingway, Ernest - The Sun Also Rises
Herbert, Frank - Dune
Ibsen, Henrik - An Enemy of the People
Ibsen, Henrik - Ghosts
Ibsen, Henrik - Hedda Gabler
Ibsen, Henrik - Peer Gynt
Ibsen, Henrik - The Master Builder
Ibsen, Henrik - The Wild Duck
Irving, Washington - Rip Van Winkle
James, William - The Principles of Psychology
Joyce, James - Finnegan's Wake
Juvenal - Satires
Kant, Immanuel - The Critique of Judgment
Keynes - The General Theory of Employment, Interest and Money
Lee, Harper - To Kill a Mockingbird
Lewis, Sinclair - Arrowsmith
London, Jack - The Iron Heel
Mencken, H. L. - The American Language
Mill, John Stuart - A System of Logic
Moliere - The Misanthrope
Moliere - The Miser
Moliere - The School for Wives
Moliere - The Would-Be Invalid
More, Sir Thomas - Epigrammata
Nabokov, Vladimir - Lolita
Nietzsche, Friedrich Wilhelm - Beyond Good and Evil
Nietzsche, Friedrich Wilhelm - On the Genealogy of Morality
O'Neill, Eugene - Anna Christie
O'Neill, Eugene - Mourning Becomes Electra
O'Neill, Eugene - The Iceman Cometh
Plutarch - Lycurgus and Solon
Pushkin, Alexander - Eugene Onegin
Rand, Ayn - Anthem
Rand, Ayn - Atlas Shrugged
Rand, Ayn - The Fountainhead
Rand, Ayn - The Virtue Of Selfishness
Rand, Ayn - We The Living
Richardson, Samuel - Clarissa
Russell - Human Knowledge, Its Scope and Limits
Russell - The Problems of Philosophy
Scott, Sir Walter - Rob Roy
Shelley, Percy Bysshe - Adonais
Shelley, Percy Bysshe - Ozymandias
Shelley, Percy Bysshe - Prometheus Unbound
St. Augustine - On Christian Doctrine
St. Augustine - On the Teacher
St. Augustine - The City of God
Steinbeck, John - Of Mice and Men
Steinbeck, John - The Grapes of Wrath
Stephens, James - The Charwoman's Daughter
Swift, Jonathan - A Tale of a Tub
Swift, Jonathan - Journal to Stella
Tolkien, J.R.R. - The Lord Of The Rings
Toynbee - A Study of History
Toynbee - Civilization on Trial
Wells, H G - Tono-Bungay
Xenophon - Oeconomicus

Last edited by TedPark; 06-14-2008 at 01:31 PM. Reason: forgot the darwin ! DOH!!
TedPark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 04:42 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Some very deep readers around here. I'm not one of them.

Good luck in your quest.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 04:57 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
gibbon is available from the sony store and from gutenberg. Eugenie Grandet is available from manybooks.net

I suspect if you look around these places, you'll find most of the others as well
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:41 PM   #4
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
If you look at our upload section then you will find several of the Nietzsches. And I expect to convert the rest before long.
I've done a number of Balzacs, though not the two you mention. I will put them on my very long to-do list. We have some Epictetus. I've done some. so has RWood in his 'Harvard Classics'.
I believe that RWood has already uploaded 'The Prince' in one of the Harvard Classics. He has also uploaded Augustine's 'City of God'.
Someone has already uploaded Russell's 'Problems of Philosophy.'
The Proust: only the original Scott-Moncrieff translation is available. I've done the first two. The whole thing is available in single books from Feedbooks. The files originate from PG and PG Australia. So you could compile them into one volume. I prefer single volumes because the pages turn faster.
Becket, Huxley and Waugh are still in copyright, I believe. So is Ayn Rand, who didn't die until 1982.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:06 PM   #5
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I recall seeing several of those in the library here, don't have any of them myself
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:48 PM   #6
TedPark
Zealot
TedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
The Proust: only the original Scott-Moncrieff translation is available. I've done the first two.
I would be almost as happy with the 3 separate volumes - are you planning on doing the last one soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I prefer single volumes because the pages turn faster.
You must be an early adopter with a 500. Time to upgrade to 505. Much faster.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:27 PM   #7
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm about to upload St Augustine's On Christian Doctrine.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:30 PM   #8
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I have a large part of Mencken's The American Language scanned and converted. I still need to scan the rest and finish the proofing. After that it will be a simple matter to format and post the ebooks. I have posted a few other Mencken books that you may find interesting.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 08:41 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Best way to get books here is, of course, to create them yourself!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:26 AM   #10
Patricia
Reader

St Augustine's dialogue 'On the Teacher' [De Magistro] doesn't seem to be available online in an English translation.
Old 06-14-2008, 01:22 PM   #11
TedPark
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Best way to get books here is, of course, to create them yourself!
PTHPTHPTHPTHPTHPTHPTHPTHPTHPTH

(is that how you spell "raspberry"?)
Old 06-14-2008, 01:28 PM   #12
TedPark
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
I recall seeing several of those in the library here, don't have any of them myself
I thought I looked through the mobileread master list very carefully.

Also, just in case anybody is stumped - this is not necessarily my list of all time favorites - it is just the list of what I want that is left over from after I downloaded everything else that I wanted that I could find. In fact I found a few more over at Sony just today and will be shortening my list above.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:16 PM   #13
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Ted, many of these are still in copyright and you should try Sony or elsewhere (see the Wiki page on ebook vendors) for those. Many more are in the public domain and are available in the ebooks section here at MR. If you could pare your list down to the likely public domain titles that you couldn't find here and repost that list, I'd be happy to try to help find and convert those.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 07:43 PM   #14
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedPark View Post
PTHPTHPTHPTHPTHPTHPTHPTHPTHPTH

(is that how you spell "raspberry"?)
I guess the methods in California differ from the rest of the country and the world. Most people would not respond with a raspberry to one of the finest ebook creators at MobileRead when asking for ebooks.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:58 AM   #15
TedPark
Zealot

Geez! It was a JOKE! Sorry if I offended. (do I get negative karma for that?)

Also - upon other advice above, I have researched better what is public vs. copyrighted. I have actually purchased a few of the ones on my list. I was also able to find a lot of "classics" on Munseys. Not all of them are beautiful nor carefully/specifically formatted for LRF, but there are a lot of "adequate" ones - at least for the time being. I will update my list soon.

In the meantime, my most urgent need is for the Ayn Rand books. I expect I will have to pay for them, but I can't seem to find them in any sort of eBook format anywhere.