Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-22-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
mesquite
A tree.
mesquite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mesquite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mesquite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mesquite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mesquite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mesquite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mesquite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mesquite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mesquite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mesquite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mesquite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Saving to Disk/Device information

I've seen it asked before but <--- reading through replies can be taxing and confusing. I'm in a sense backing up my library in multiple locations (external drives, thumb drives, cloud servers, etc.). I used the "Save to Disk" option selecting "Save only ePub format to disk in single directory" and know that you can option what is actually saved (metadata.opf, the cover). My question is this: What is the optimal solution? For instance, lets say I added a group of 10 ePubs in varying disorder (bad covers, missing metadata, no covers, incorrect metadata, etc.) to my installation of Calibre but I corrected and updated the metadata, covers, reconverted into ePub and removed .original_epub, leaving myself with the corrected ePub. I then add these 10 updated ePubs using the "Save To Disk" option but asking Calibre to only save the .ePub and not the metadata.opf or covers. Then maybe a few weeks later I add these 10 to a different computer with Calibre. Would I end up getting the updated look I converted them to on my install or would I get the old look of disorder that I obtained them in?

Cause I have added a few books I had lost but had saved before with what I thought were the updated condition I had added them in to the disk (correct metadata, cover) and ended up with OLD look that I had corrected them from. I didn't do a "Save to Disk", I just opened the folder location, did a "search" for .epub and "copy and paste" into the folder location I wanted to save them in figuring that I will get the same elsewhere.

Once again, if I am vague or confusing you, break it down and ask questions so I can be more descriptive if need be. I do confuse myself sometimes and I know that it isn't possible for everyone to know what I am talking about. Cause correct me if I'm wrong, regardless of what I do, I should expect to get what I saved onto a disk/device when adding it elsewhere right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SaveToDisk.PNG
Views:	177
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	89560  
mesquite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:17 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
STD is for any External to Calibre device/program.
When you do a normal Add, it is saved. No apply, no nutt'n else to do
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
mesquite
A tree.
mesquite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mesquite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mesquite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mesquite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mesquite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mesquite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mesquite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mesquite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mesquite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mesquite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mesquite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

believe me I'm an idiot

So, if I saved JUST the ePub (minus the metadata.opf and cover(s)) should I keep the option "Save metadata in the file" checked? or deselect every option? It's Sunday so my mind has sort of checked out at the moment. Break it to me nice and easy.

(some how this double posted, my apologies, tried to delete but didn't know how.)

Last edited by mesquite; 07-22-2012 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Duplicate submission
Old 07-22-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you don't need the cover or OPF file on your i-pad, remove the ticks.

Those files inside calibre (Library folder)belong to calibre. Keep your mitts OFF
Old 07-22-2012, 04:44 PM   #5
mesquite
A tree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
If you don't need the cover or OPF file on your i-pad, remove the ticks.

Those files inside calibre (Library folder)belong to calibre. Keep your mitts OFF
Okay, slowly getting there. Not exactly "adding" to the iPad, will transfer to iTunes for that through Calibre. This is strictly in the sense of back-up purposes (data loss, transferring to another computer, etc..) and then adding them without the cover or OPF present on the location from which I had done the "Save to Disk" operation to, in this case a thumb drive.
Advert
Old 07-22-2012, 07:08 PM   #6
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesquite View Post
Okay, slowly getting there. Not exactly "adding" to the iPad, will transfer to iTunes for that through Calibre. This is strictly in the sense of back-up purposes (data loss, transferring to another computer, etc..) and then adding them without the cover or OPF present on the location from which I had done the "Save to Disk" operation to, in this case a thumb drive.
For backup purposes, backing up all files within all calibre Library folders is better than Save to Disk. I use a backup application/utility in the operating sytem to do it automatically, hourly, entire internal drive (containing calibre libraries) to external drive. That preserves all important library files for backup purposes.

Edit: Or in the operating system, just manually copy over all the desired calibre library folders to the thumb drive or other external drive, for each library copy to later be opened as an intact library by calibre on another computer.

Last edited by unboggling; 07-22-2012 at 07:27 PM. Reason: clarify.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:32 PM   #7
mesquite
A tree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
For backup purposes, backing up all files within all calibre Library folders is better than Save to Disk. I use a backup application/utility in the operating sytem to do it automatically, hourly, entire internal drive (containing calibre libraries) to external drive. That preserves all important library files for backup purposes.

Edit: Or in the operating system, just manually copy over all the desired calibre library folders to the thumb drive or other external drive, for each library copy to later be opened as an intact library by calibre on another computer.
I think I get what your saying. It's not in the technical sense of backing up Calibre. It's more of a "I need a new computer but I can't afford one" backing up purpose.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:11 PM   #8
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
I think I get what your saying. It's not in the technical sense of backing up Calibre. It's more of a "I need a new computer but I can't afford one" backing up purpose.
For me backup means: if the storage drive in my computer melts, my backed up files (including calibre libraries) outside the computer are safe and all I need to do is buy a new drive or computer. Which is fun if there are backed up files, but not much fun if there aren't.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:18 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
With Calibre STOPPED/Shut Down.
Simply copy (using the O/S) the entire (all files and folders) Library folder (the one that CONTAINS Metadata.DB)
That is it a 100% backup of everything except your view (GUI) settings and plugins (which are easy to get).
Old 07-23-2012, 12:19 AM   #10
mesquite
A tree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
With Calibre STOPPED/Shut Down.
Simply copy (using the O/S) the entire (all files and folders) Library folder (the one that CONTAINS Metadata.DB)
That is it a 100% backup of everything except your view (GUI) settings and plugins (which are easy to get).
I THINK I have that done for my thumb drive (used "Send to Device") yet the .opf and cover don't show up in the folders. But I have a file titled "metadata.calibre" got info on that? This is the first time I've done the Send to/Save to option so I want to make sure I do it RIGHT without having to go back and forth editing and cleaning up my books all over again if I add the files to separate installation of Calibre.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:25 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
I THINK I have that done for my thumb drive (used "Send to Device") yet the .opf and cover don't show up in the folders. But I have a file titled "metadata.calibre" got info on that? This is the first time I've done the Send to/Save to option so I want to make sure I do it RIGHT without having to go back and forth editing and cleaning up my books all over again if I add the files to separate installation of Calibre.
Send To will never copy the metadata.DB, it can send metadata.OPF and cover.jpg

Turn down the Music and Listen.

Copy the FOLDER (include all sub-folders) that contains metadata.db

That is the only way to back-up a working library for a quick restore (no rebuild needed).

Do NOT try an incremental backup. The DB is in synch with the files and folders. They must track exactly.

Do it almost any other way, and you will have to use the slooow, recovery procedures
Old 07-23-2012, 10:06 AM   #12
mesquite
A tree.

I got it. I just didn't know what metadata.calibre was.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
I got it. I just didn't know what metadata.calibre was.
metadata.calibre is on your reader

it has a different purpose than metadata.db (the Library data that is used by the GUI)
Old 07-23-2012, 10:13 AM   #14
mesquite
A tree.

Thank you. it's confusing when you see the word metadata all over the place. But I've got it now.