Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-22-2011, 07:42 AM   #31
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I'm having a battery problem with my Nook Touch. I did a full charge ( the second time I charged it) and after about 3 hours of use it is at 18%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
I am quoting myself above so that you'll see where I was the last time I made a posting to this thread.

The latest is that my Touch finally drained itself down to 20% in a well-behaved manner as I used it over a period of weeks. I then charged it yesterday to 100% and disconnected it (I woke it up before disconnecting it, to see if that made a difference). Well, after sleeping all night, it is now down to 77%. DAMN!

So, I am "topping" it off right now, to duplicate what we did in the B&N store about 3 weeks ago (see posting above). I'll let you know if that once again fixes the problem...
After a recharge, the reader battery reporting seems to be normal (Although RAH's post has me worried). I'll post again after my next charge with how it is behaving.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:18 AM   #32
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Well, I "topped off" the charge on my Touch, bringing it from 77% up to 93%. Then I let sleep for the rest of the day and all night. Alas, when I woke it this morning, it is at 86%. It's not as bad as it has been, but it clearly is still losing power too quickly, even using this topping off technique that in the past stopped it from doing that.

I guess I have to return the thing to B&N and get a "refurbished" one (this is what they do when it is older than 2 weeks - ). When I brought it back to the store about 3 weeks ago they said they could arrange the return, but I would still have to package it up myself and mail it. So, there is no point to that over doing the whole arrangement online. You'd think they could do the whole thing at the store for you - i.e. take the faulty unit, do whatever they have to (mail it to the contractor, whatever) and call you when your replacement comes in for you to pick it up. No such luck.

Last edited by RAH; 07-24-2011 at 08:02 AM.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2011, 04:24 PM   #33
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well, I "topped off" the charge on my Touch, bringing it from 77% up to 93%. Then I let sleep for the rest of the day and all night. Alas, when I woke it this morning, it is at 86%. It's not as bad as it has been, but it clearly is still losing power too quickly, even using this topping off technique that in the past stopped it from doing that.

I guess I have to return the thing to B&N and get a "reburbished" one (this is what they do when it is older than 2 weeks - ). When I brought it back to the store about 3 weeks ago they said they could arrange the return, but I would still have to package it up myself and mail it. So, there is no point to that over doing the whole arrangement online. You'd think they could do the whole thing at the store for you - i.e. take the faulty unit, do whatever they have to (mail it to the contractor, whatever) and call you when your replacement comes in for you to pick it up. No such luck.
Did you try reseting it? Is it rooted?
Old 07-23-2011, 10:20 PM   #34
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The very first time this happened, I tried resetting it (it was at 40%), and it did indeed stop the rapid draining. But I don't want to have to reset it after every time I charge it. Plus, there is no telling if that will always do the trick. I mean topping it off worked once too. I had high hopes for that idea.

No, it is not rooted.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:09 AM   #35
RAH
Guru

I have an update. As I reported, it was at 86% yesterday morning, down from 93 the night before, which is not good. However, I used it yesterday (maybe 3 hours) and at bedtime it was only down to 83%. This morning it is at 82%. Sooooo, it does seem that it stabilizes after awhile after a "topping off." I actually wish it would be good or bad, not this inconsistency.

I think that it is now working OK and it will take me another 3 weeks to drain. The problem now is that I'm afraid if I return it while it is working OK, they'll say there is nothing wrong with it. I guess I'll have to wait now till it drains, but then I'll recharge it, and then let it start to drain for a few days and then return it while it is misbehaving. Such fun!
Advert
Old 08-04-2011, 10:10 AM   #36
av8or
av8or began at the beginning.

Device: nook touch
my nook doesn't seem to be holding the supposed charge time as well, i've had it for just shy of 2 weeks, and i'm charging it for the third time, i've read maybe 500 page turns since i got it, wifi has been off almost the entire time (usually only turn it on to update while charging)
have also rebooted the nook once during that (one other time when it locked up on the screen saver and wouldn't wake, so i guess technically 2 boots since initial startup)
av8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:37 PM   #37
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
After a recharge, the reader battery reporting seems to be normal (Although RAH's post has me worried). I'll post again after my next charge with how it is behaving.
I recharged last night with 25% remaining. If this charge doesn't misbehave, I think I'm OK and I'll chalk it up to gremlins.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:45 PM   #38
av8or
av8or began at the beginning.

Device: nook touch
well i charged it to 100% yesterday afternoon, unplugged it and let it sit in sleep mode (wifi off)
check it this evening, and its down to 97% doing absolutely nothing but sitting there..
so at that rate it would last just over a month of sleeping
av8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:18 AM   #39
RAH
Guru

That sounds normal to me. When my Touch is misbehaving (as detailed above), it can drain like 10% or even more over one evening. So it sounds to me like you are good.

In my own case, I am still waiting for it to drain again (it is now behaving OK). Then I'll recharge it, wait one evening, and if it is once again acting up, will send it back right away.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:09 AM   #40
RAH
Guru

I am installing the 1.0.1 update right now. It does address problems with battery levels, so I have high hopes this might solve my rapid drain problem. We shall see...

Installed OK. I notice that it did affect the battery level immediately. It had been reported as being at 41% when I disconnected the USB cable after copying the update file to the Nook. After the Nook did the installation, the battery level is reported as 48%. So it has made a difference. I won't really know for sure if this solves the rapid draining after a full charge problem till I let it drain down some more and then fully charge it. I will report back when this happens.

Last edited by RAH; 08-09-2011 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:49 PM   #41
mcooke66
Connoisseur
mcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nook ST - Nook 1st Gen
Quote:
I am installing the 1.0.1 update right now. It does address problems with battery levels, so I have high hopes this might solve my rapid drain problem. We shall see...
According to B&N this is what the update gives you.

Quote:
The All-New NOOK Ver1.0.1 is a minor update based on early customer feedback that includes:

•Connect more easily to Wi-Fi hotspots
•Improved touchscreen responsiveness
•Enhanced accuracy of battery meter
I have not had any issues with battery life and when I saw this I was intrigued that they are fixing an issue with accuracy of the meter. Which makes me wonder if you are actually experiencing battery life issues or just meter issues.

So I have a question for the folks experiencing this issue. Does the battery actually run down faster? Or do you just recharge because the software "says" it is running down faster. In other words has the battery ever drained completely to where the Nook will not turn on until charged, in a short period of time.

I am curious, I would be much happier with the a bug in the meter accuracy then a bug in the firmware that actually drains the battery.
mcooke66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:05 PM   #42
RAH
Guru

It is hard to tell what is going on with this battery draining problem. When your battery drains from 100% to 80% to 60% over 2 nights, it certainly sounds like it might be just a meter problem. But I have never actually let it continue on like this till it got really low and then charged it to see how long it takes, which would be one way to see. I have always rebooted it or done the topping off thing (see above) which kind of stops it from this behavior. Once it stops, then normal draining (a few % each day) takes over and when you finally charge it at say 20%, it does take about 2 hours to get to 100%, which is about right.

Yes, I would much rather have it be a bug with the battery meter, which is why I am hoping this upgrade fixes the problem - it would save me from having to mail the damn thing in to get a new one!
Old 08-16-2011, 08:12 AM   #43
RAH
Guru

Continuing my on-going report: I recharged my Touch last evening to 100% after it reached about 25%. I let it sleep all night and checked it this morning - 88%. Damn! So, the 1.0.1 upgrade did not solve my problem. So sad!

I am going to call B&N today and arrange for a return/swap (for reburbished I guess, unfortunately). I am not going to fool around with it, because I want it to be in its misbehaving state when I mail it to them.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:52 AM   #44
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8or View Post
well i charged it to 100% yesterday afternoon, unplugged it and let it sit in sleep mode (wifi off)
check it this evening, and its down to 97% doing absolutely nothing but sitting there..
so at that rate it would last just over a month of sleeping
Quote:
That sounds normal to me. When my Touch is misbehaving (as detailed above), it can drain like 10% or even more over one evening. So it sounds to me like you are good.

In my own case, I am still waiting for it to drain again (it is now behaving OK). Then I'll recharge it, wait one evening, and if it is once again acting up, will send it back right away.
I don't think I'm seeing this (3% drain per night with Wifi off); Is anyone else seeing a drain while in sleep mode? I'm using the original firmware.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:13 AM   #45
RAH
Guru

Just want to complete my saga of woe. As I mentioned above, after the latest recharging -to 100% -of my Touch, after letting it sleep for one night it was down to 88%. Just for laughs, to see what would happen, I decided to wait a few days before arranging a return to B&N. So I checked after another night - down to 48%. After 2 more nights, it got down to 18%, if you can believe it. This is with no use, no wifi, no nothing. So, when it is misbehaving there is no mistaking it!

I mailed it to B&N yesterday. You print a prepaid UPS shipping label. You then have to package it yourself. They ship the replacement to you even before receiving your returned one, which is nice. In fact, you could actually wait to get the new one before returning the old (you have 14 days to return the old one). Not too bad.

Hope the replacement doesn't have other problems (I won't even think about it having the same one!). We shall see...