Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-29-2010, 12:33 AM   #1
strawhatbrat
strawhatbrat began at the beginning.

Device: nook and kindle
Do you keep reading....

if the first chapter is boring? I am reading "The Help" and I feel as though I should like it, (everyone else did!) but I am just bored so far.

Do I keep going and give it a chance?

What do you do if you're bored at the beginning of a book?
strawhatbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:46 AM   #2
pwarren
Connoisseur
pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Irex Iliad (Dead), EcoReader (Smashed screen), Kobo Touch
I try to persevere to halfway, and if it's still annoying me, I'll sell/give away the book. I've only had two so far, that I didn't go on to finish.

Focaults Pendulum by Umberto Eco
Twilight, by Stephanie Meyer

Tho I've not tried War and Peace yet...
pwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2010, 01:05 AM   #3
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
If I've paid for the book, I stick with it longer. Library books I have been known to give up on fairly early on if I'm not getting into them.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:23 AM   #4
idraw22
Zealot
idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Kindle 3, jetbook mini, sony clie, sony prs-T1
I finished Twilight, I had gotten to the middle and found I couldn't take the suffering anymore, they weren't classic vampires, (in the usual sense) so I wanted to quit, a friend told me I was so near the end, and to just finish. Sigh, so I did... but I gave it away after!
idraw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:28 AM   #5
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Always used to persevere and finish the book regardless; as I got older I became less inclined to do so and now will cheerfully dump any book that doesn't keep my attention or is pleasant to read. There are plenty of other books to be read, and life's far too short to waste time on ones that I have to fight my way through.
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2010, 01:33 AM   #6
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I have that wonderfully helpful answer... it depends.

Sometimes I know it's a mood thing (there are a few books from when I first gave up smoking that I really must give a second chance). I think the very best books, like the very best movies, make their own mood ... but lesser works, works by mere mortals, have to rely on finding their readers/viewers in a receptive mood. If you think it's mood, put it down for now (before you get a really bad feeling for it) and come back another time. But I would not do that twice, if it can't get me on the second attempt it's got serious problems.

The other thing it depends on is expectation. A thriller, a mystery and even most fantasy, must get me in pretty quickly. If not with excitement then at least with some interest or intrigue. In the case of other books, particularly historical fiction, I find that I often have to give them more time. With historical fiction it sometimes takes a while for my brain to switch modes, but once that happens I find that suddenly the prose begins to read more smoothly and the whole tale begins to take on life and feeling.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:38 AM   #7
NightLight
Banned
NightLight has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NightLight has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NightLight has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NightLight has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3
I usually put the book at the bottom of my TBR pile.
Sometimes it's just a matter of not being in the right moment or right frame of mind.
I generally give a book at least a second try.
I have about 40 books that are due a second chance at this moment.
I find that about 25% prove to be worth the wait.
NightLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:59 AM   #8
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
I'm with NightLight. I often start a book only to find I'm really not in the mood for that kind of story, that kind of writing, or whatever else. When it happens I put it away and return to it at some later date, be it a week, a month or for that sake several years down the line. In my case approx. 100% prove to be worth the wait - I can only recall ever having given up on two books.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:00 AM   #9
stargazertony
Connoisseur
stargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3, iPod Touch, Pre-electronic devices
Absolutely not. The author has about 10 to 15 pages to hook me. If they don't have that kind of skill, I move on.
stargazertony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:01 AM   #10
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawhatbrat View Post
if the first chapter is boring?

Do I keep going and give it a chance?

I always have a feeling that, having begun I should go on. It's got hold of me now. I'm reading Ken Follett's "World Without End". His characters are paper-thin and black or white with no nuances of grey, and at every stage you get the feeling that he's reading the manual from "Writing a Novel 101" and you just know that there will be at least one if not two dei ex machina to either sink his hero deeper in the mire, or suddenly save a hopeless situation. This worked okay in his earlier, war books, but is doomed in what is intended to be a literary work like this one. Funnily enough I don't remember this problem, at least not to the same extent, with the earlier book in this series, although, thinking back, I realise it was there.

The trouble is his research appears to be good, and the descriptions of 14th century England, in between the thin, thin story line, are good enough to make one keep going despite the sighs of "here we go again" every time he gets back to the "plot".
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:21 AM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawhatbrat View Post
I quit reading and get another book. No point wasting time on boring drivel.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:00 AM   #12
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
I NORMALLY keep reading, I try at least, but I have no found 7 books I just couldn't wade through .... Shame really .. I hate giving up !
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:03 AM   #13
AGB
Headbutting stupidity
AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650
I only continue if it's non-fiction and I feel like want the knowledge there.
With fiction I just drop reading it, and after a while I will get to the point where I will delete it (or back in the day with printed versions: Toss them out - which also happened to be what I did with most books I had read).

Right now I'm reading One Shot by Lee Child. To be honest, I'm having a hard time getting through the last fifty pages. It has taken me almost as long to read twenty pages of those last pages as it took me to read the preceding 220. It has become tedious, as if he doesn't know how to up the tempo.
I am probably going to finish it, but damn that annoys me.
AGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:06 AM   #14
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGB View Post
I only continue if it's non-fiction and I feel like want the knowledge there. With fiction I just drop reading it, and after a while I will get to the point where I will delete it . . .
Exactly my approach.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:32 AM   #15
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
With me, it's usually one of two things: either I don't want to keep reading this book, or I want to read something else more.

If it's the former, I drop it. If it's simply not holding my interest at the moment I may pick it up again, but I may not. If I actively dislike it, I stop reading it, won't pick it up again, and am unlikely to even try anything else by the same writer unless it comes highly recommended by someone I respect.

I'll stick with non-fiction until I get the info I was looking for.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote