Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 02-23-2009, 12:47 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
LRF eBooks

When making an LRF edition that has headers and/or footers, would the poster please post a second copy that does not have any headers/footers? They don't really look nice and just take up page space. Thank you!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:15 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When making an LRF edition that has headers and/or footers, would the poster please post a second copy that does not have any headers/footers? They don't really look nice TO ME and just take up page space IN MY OPINION. Thank you!
there, fixed that for ya.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2009, 01:20 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Speaking purely personally, Jon, the answer is no, I won't. I create books in a manner that I personally feel looks good. You're welcome to disagree with that, but I'm certainly not going to post versions of my books to match everyone's separate tastes!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:11 PM   #4
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
At least regarding the wasted space i do agree with JSWolf. Maybe it does look indeed nicer but headers on each page are almost useless. For a book with some hundred pages the wasted space results in more pagebreaks and just reduces battery power without being useful.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:18 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netseeker View Post
At least regarding the wasted space i do agree with JSWolf. Maybe it does look indeed nicer but headers on each page are almost useless. For a book with some hundred pages the wasted space results in more pagebreaks and just reduces battery power without being useful.
Well said.

If a book has say 300 pages with headers and footers you will lose about 20 pages. This means 20 more page turns.
Advert
Old 02-23-2009, 10:19 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Speaking purely personally, Jon, the answer is no, I won't. I create books in a manner that I personally feel looks good. You're welcome to disagree with that, but I'm certainly not going to post versions of my books to match everyone's separate tastes!
But, in this case, you are creating LRF format eBooks for others since you won't be reading them since you no longer have a reader that handles LRF. So why not create them for the people who will actually be reading them?
Old 02-24-2009, 02:14 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I do footers but not headers. Personally, I think that's a good compromise. Footers are very useful in telling you where you are in the book. Headers I do agree with you are just space used for no useful gain.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:39 AM   #8
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Well, Jon, we part ways once again on style of ebooks . I like having headers and/or footers. I tend to read 4 to 6 books at a time and I like the reminders the headers and/or footers provide. It isn't critical, but nice.

As for the "wasted" space, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I prefer ebooks with more space between elements. I find them easier to read, especially as I (and my eyes) get older. A few extra pixels doesn't hurt.

Last edited by rhadin; 02-24-2009 at 02:26 PM.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:49 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

That perfectly illustrates the point I was trying to make, Richard; that we all have different tastes when it comes to book layout, and that it would be completely impractical to try to please everyone. All that we, as book "creators", can do, is produce books which we personally like the appearance of.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:55 AM   #10
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That perfectly illustrates the point I was trying to make, Richard; that we all have different tastes when it comes to book layout, and that it would be completely impractical to try to please everyone. All that we, as book "creators", can do, is produce books which we personally like the appearance of.
Well put, Harry. If you weren't my friend already, I'd put you on my friend list for that alone.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:58 AM   #11
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I've been working on a book to upload as a Mobi file.
I could use Book Designer to make an LRF version, but I've no real idea what the end result will look like on the device.
Would it be better to upload a source file to the 'Other Formats' section so people could make their own version, according to their own preferences?
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:08 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I've been working on a book to upload as a Mobi file.
I could use Book Designer to make an LRF version, but I've no real idea what the end result will look like on the device.
Download Sony's "eBook Library" software. It has a damn-near perfect "emulation" of a Sony Reader in it, which allows you to see exactly what your book will look like on a "real" Reader.

If you use the LRF settings that I use in my BD tutorial, you won't go too far wrong, but you really do need to "preview" the book in the eBook Library software to make sure that all the chapter headings are right, and so on.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:23 PM   #13
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Sparrow, you could also use Calibre and that has its own LRF viewer built in.

I too make books that I like. I like both a header and a footer. Like rhadin I may have 5 or 6 books open at any one time. The extra page turns are a small price for the increased functionality.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:09 PM   #14
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
I'm in the camp of not liking either headers or footers. Why not have an appendix? Though I'm trying to remember the last time I read a fiction novel that had footer information.

However, I'm apparently also in the minority of people that like my margins to be at 1px.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:15 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
I'm in the camp of not liking either headers or footers. Why not have an appendix?
In what way does an appendix replace headers and footers? Are you perhaps confusing "footers" with "footnotes"?