Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-31-2010, 04:06 PM   #1
machstem
machstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of light

Device: kobo
Question Content server - users and groups?

I have not done too much research into this, but is it possible to allow more than one user to connect to the calibre database?

As is, it allows only one user. I'd like the ability to have users and groups and assign them specific books and feeds I have in my library. Even a way of linking it to a LDAP contact system at some point?

I know this is a pretty hefty request if it's not already implemented, but working in a school environment, having calibre as my central point of access for my ebooks and subscriptions is definitely a bonus.

Thanks for the great software.
machstem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 05:49 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
You can have as many users as you like actually connecting to the calibre content server. However there is no support for the type of authentication you mention. At best you can have a single username/password combination to protect the server content, and if set that is global for all the content. Calibre is really targeted at private ebook collections.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2010, 07:04 PM   #3
machstem
machstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of light

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
You can have as many users as you like actually connecting to the calibre content server. However there is no support for the type of authentication you mention. At best you can have a single username/password combination to protect the server content, and if set that is global for all the content. Calibre is really targeted at private ebook collections.
I understand that it is mostly for private ebook collections, and even then, I would love to be able to separate my ebook listing by authentication (the networking geek side of me likes group rights and the likes)

Either way, I do use the username and password, I was simply hoping for a separate username and password section.

One of the examples I like to give, for my own sake, is to give the opportunity for a friend or two to have access to my recipes for cbc.ca and other news sources, another for public domain and creative commons books, but have all my own ebooks (i.e. purchased, my own copies of existing ebooks I had but in epub format, using sigil, etc)

Thanks anyway!
machstem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:40 AM   #4
mshellberg
mshellberg began at the beginning.

Device: none
You might consider running several instances of the calibre-server.exe on different ports. I'm not using the username/password features but I've got two instances, connected to different libraries (one comic, one ebook), running on my file server just fine. I see from the user manual that it supports command line username/password switches.

http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...ghlight=server

-Hope this helps.
-Matt
mshellberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:13 PM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
The next release will support setting a restriction (the same as restrictions in the GUI) for an instance of a content server. This, along with mshellberg's idea, will give much of what is desired. One logs into an instance on a port, and see only the books that the restriction permits. In other words, the port used defines the group, and the restriction defines what is visible to that group.

There is no reason that multiple content server instances cannot access the same library.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert