Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-23-2010, 09:10 PM   #1
rxmom03
Addict
rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pixel 8, iPad Air, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Clara 2E
Question iPhone and Kindle

I have an iPhone and am debating getting a Kindle 3G. I already use Calibre for my iPhone (with Stanza) and am wondering if I can also use the same files for Kindle. In other words, can I have just one Calibre program and pick each time whether it sends files to iPhone or Kindle? I would like to have the same books on both, but since I don't have a Kindle to play with, don't know if Calibre will do what I want? Thanks for your help!
Mary
rxmom03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:41 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Yes you can have both. You will have to convert all your books to MOBI format for use with the Kindle but as long as they are DRM free Calibre will be able to do that for you.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2010, 03:23 PM   #3
rxmom03
Addict
rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks! So, would I create a new library? And use the option to have my existing library at the new location--I guess that is the option to copy all my books to the new library? And have that one connected with my Kindle? Most of my books are fanfic, so they are obviously DRM free ;-)
I have almost talked myself into a Kindle LOL!
Mary
Old 10-24-2010, 05:08 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can store multiple formats against a single book entry, so no need to have a separate library. Calibre will know that the Kindle supports MOBI format and not EPUB so it will automatically select the correct format to send when a Kindle is connected.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:35 PM   #5
rxmom03
Addict

Even better! Just one last question. Can I set up Calibre where it would automatically convert something to both EPUB and MOBI? Or would I need to do a separate conversion for each file?
Advert
Old 10-27-2010, 07:32 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard

I do not think there is an easy way to do a conversion to multiple formats. If you try to transfer a book for which there is not already a compatible format Calibre will ask if you want to convert a book prior to transferring it. However this can significantly slow down the transfer of books due to the conversion time overheads.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:38 PM   #7
rxmom03
Addict

OK, thanks. At least I know it is possible if I decide to get a Kindle.