Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 03-04-2010, 08:04 PM   #1
cancelx
Nervous Groupie
cancelx began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Pro
About Purchased Books (and where to request?)

Hey... Can't find where to post this in the forums.....

please move if needed (thanks)

About protected book downloads (purchased -- sorry, I'm new to the terms).

If I buy a book. After I read, if my dad buys the same Reader...can he view the book on his Reader too? (same as if you buy a paper book and finish, you can give it to someone)

Thanks

PS- where can I ask where to find the New Testament Bible in Chinese Pinyin (english letters)
cancelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:16 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
It isn't quite the same as a physical book, but all the popular DRM schemes allow some sharing. The Amazon Kindle allows up to 6 devices on the same account. Adobe Digital Editions (most EInk Readers, except Kindle) allows 6 PCs and 6 portable devices on the same AdobeID. MobiPocket allows 4 devices per ebook file. The eReader format (B&N Nook, jetBook, iLiad DR800SG) allows as many devices as you want, but the password is your name and credit card number.

So if you are willing to share accounts, sharing of ebooks is certainly possible.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2010, 08:30 PM   #3
cancelx
Nervous Groupie
cancelx began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Pro
Oh-oh.... credit card.... I only use paypal ? Am I screwed now that I bought this Libre, but no credit card to buy books?
cancelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:41 PM   #4
Nakor
Addict
Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek Libre
I know off the top of my head Fictionwise accepts PayPal. Since you're getting a Libre which supports Adobe Digital Editions DRM, you won't need a credit card for those type of DRM'd ebooks. You just won't be able to use Secure eReader (PDB) format, which the Libre doesn't support anyway.

Of course, for DRM-free ebooks, the whole thing is a non-issue. Also, don't forget about the (legit) free eBook sites such as Project Gutenburg.
Nakor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:47 AM   #5
lisajjb
Enthusiast
lisajjb began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre, Nook Color, Samsung Galaxy 10"
Forgive me I'm not a techie...

I have a Libre and I have ADE on my computer. If my mom were to have a Libre and she had ADE on her computer, could I plug my Libre into her computer and download books she purchased from her ADE?

If ADE supports up to 6 devices... is that what it means that I can download books I have purchased to 5 more devices from my ADE?

Thanks.
lisajjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2010, 09:35 PM   #6
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
Note:Sorry for the confusing reply. I thought that you lived apart. You are correct - you would be using one of her ADE lives. You would also be able to transfer anything to your reader from her PC via USB and her ADE-PC reader.

What I don't know is on your device should you decide to install ADE-PC on your own PC and then activated your ALP via your system would that over ride the earlier authorization or would it just add to it. I guess one could create a second ADE account and try it out.
--------- The above was added to fall in line with the post

First off I believe the B&N DRM epup is not supported on the Aluratek Libre Pro (ALP). It is on the JB w/fw .35k+. the JB-L just supports B&N pdb DRM as far as I know. FW update pending.

Second ADE when installed on your PC would require the same user id/Pwd that was registered to Adobe when that software was installed the first time.

So two people who trust each other could download and access the same books once purchased. In order to see the history of purchases that the other person has at an online book store one would also have to logon with that persons user-id and password as well and this could give access to purchase e-books if the site keeps the CC info.

Or if you keep the xxxx.acsm file I wonder if you could use that to have ADE download the book. Of course you would have to save the ACSM file in a folder that is the same as the book title as some of these files are just a generic name such as urllink.acsm.

EG: Your mom buy's a book and gets the xxxx.acsm file. when she hits that "acsm" file it will start up her ADE reader on her PC and down load the book to her reader. I wonder if she sends you the xxxx.acsm file and you have ADE reader installed on your PC that has the same account as her then clicking on the ACSM file should download the e-book to your reader which you can then offload to your Aluratek or JB w/fw .35+.

But I do not think you can have your e-reader authorized to two different adobe accounts at the same time. By doing it this way family members can still share e-books and still keep access to their Online stores account separate. IMO I have not tried it out but I don't see why it wouldn't work. As stated in the prior post ADE only permits so many PC's to one account.

That's my understanding for ADE. Beware of the registration limits just in case you need to re-install due to hardware problems.

That is another reason why I remove DRM off of my purchases.
By doing so I am not at the mercy of the software restrictions.

Another way would be to strip DRM after purchase then there is no restriction for sharing other than the moral obligation of the copyright. It appears that sharing among close friends and family is more acceptable than just making the e-book available to the public for free or profit.

Such things as sharing among friends and family happen with DTBs regardless of what is written under the cover.

One other important item I just discovered. Not related to the above post but related to ADE on JB and ALP.

While doing some testing on both my ALP and JB I did a "Restore Defaults". Doing this apparently deletes your Activation.xml that resides in the .adobe folder.
I keep a backup of the .adobe.... folder from each of my devices on my harddrive. Each under their own vendor name.

I re-used an urllink.acsm file that was old to see if it would still work. It did and when ADE started up I had my ALP already connected - it stated that I needed to authorize the device - so I did. I had done this in the past so I was curious. I shutdown ADE-PC and connected my JB to check out the .adobe.... folder. The folder was there but it was empty. I started ADE-PC and it did not even recognize the JB. I refreshed the .adobe.... folder with my back-up and all is well. I did not have to re-authorize the JB.

Something to keep in mind for future "Restore Default" under settings.

Last edited by jlg432; 07-21-2010 at 09:54 PM.
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote