Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-15-2010, 07:23 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Amazon expands language support in Kindle Store

From the press release:
Quote:
SEATTLE, Jan 15, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ:AMZN) today announced that authors and publishers around the world can now use the self-service Kindle Digital Text Platform (DTP) to upload and sell books in English, German and French to customers worldwide in the Kindle Store (www.amazon.com/kindlestore). Until today, DTP was only available to authors and publishers based in the United States. Now, authors and publishers outside the United States can take advantage of this same opportunity and start offering their books to Kindle customers at http://dtp.amazon.com.

It's great that Amazon is expanding the number of supported languages, but only until you realize that Amazon will never be able to support most of the languages in use; the Mobipocket format cannot display text in any direction other than left-to-right. Would you like to use Arabic? Sorry, that reads right to left. Japanese? Sorry, that's written vertically.

And the Kindle has less than complete support for Unicode (which is rather odd, because no other device based on the Mobipocket format has that problem). So if you want to display a language in anything other than Latin based characters (Western European languages, basically), you're out of luck.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:28 AM   #2
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Until today, DTP was only available to authors and publishers based in the United States. Now, authors and publishers outside the United States can take advantage of this same opportunity and start offering their books to Kindle customers at http://dtp.amazon.com.
That part is intersting.
One step in the right direction. Keep going amazon, maybe you'll get it right. ePub ePub ePub !
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2010, 07:58 AM   #3
BlueMonkey
Evangelist
BlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it is

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro, Nexus S
This is exiting...it will be interesting to see how this influences the non-english content on the kindle store in the next weeks and months...
BlueMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:26 AM   #4
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
I think it's a good move for us customers. Currently there is too less competition in the ebook market in europe, especially in germany, france and austria. Now, when Amazon will offer it's plattform to publishers as well as directly to authors it will get interesting. I hope that we will see more books being published as ebooks too in europe within the next months.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:43 AM   #5
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
That is good since I think that we, in the US, think that the entire planet speaks english
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2010, 09:10 AM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
That is good since I think that we, in the US, think that the entire planet speaks english
Not hardly. You haven't been to the southwest lately, have you?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:13 AM   #7
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
Yes and the rest speaks french or german... What about all other languages? Even if the format can't handle text from right, there are plenty of other "western" languages out there. I don't understand why they won't just open it to any language.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:51 AM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
This isn't only about non-english content, previously an Australian publisher (say) could not use DTP because all the accounting was US based.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:00 AM   #9
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
It's great that Amazon is expanding the number of supported languages, but only until you realize that Amazon will never be able to support most of the languages in use; the Mobipocket format cannot display text in any direction other than left-to-right. Would you like to use Arabic? Sorry, that reads right to left. Japanese? Sorry, that's written vertically.

And the Kindle has less than complete support for Unicode (which is rather odd, because no other device based on the Mobipocket format has that problem). So if you want to display a language in anything other than Latin based characters (Western European languages, basically), you're out of luck.
Wow, I didn't realize Mobi had those limitations...my wife was kinda waiting for a Japanese Kindle...thanks for the news, Nate!
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:02 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Japanese can be written left-to-right, top to bottom, and, indeed, frequently is written so.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:25 AM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
The direction of Japanese language depends upon which format one is using:

Tategaki is written in columns going from top to bottom.

Yokogaki is the modern format and is written horizontally.

When I read Yukio Mishima, Yasunari Kawabata, or Haruki Murakami (or any Japanese writer, for that matter), I read them in English, since my knowledge of Japanese is now over 40 years ago.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-15-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:27 AM   #12
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
The direction of Japanese language depends upon which format one is using:

Tategaki is written in columns going from top to bottom.

Yokogaki is the modern format and is written horizontally.

When I read Yukio Mishima, Yasunari Kawabata, or Haruki Murakami (or any Japanese writer, for that matter), I read them in the yokogaki format.

Don
That's impressive I'd love to read Murakami in Japanese, although I heard the translations are pretty damn good anyway.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:32 AM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
That's impressive I'd love to read Murakami in Japanese, although I heard the translations are pretty damn good anyway.
You caught me during my edit. I used to read some Japanese, but not anymore. It's all English now. (Sorry.)

(I got caught up in my humor and was trying to state that when I read Japanese writers now, I read them horizontally - because I'm reading them in English.)

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-15-2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:34 AM   #14
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
You can read fiction in japanese? I'm jealous and impressed!
I have a looooooooong way to go to get there.
Many japanese books suffer horribly in the translation, the language structure and way of thinking generally being so different. Murakami and a few others fortunately seem to have outstanding translators.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:39 AM   #15
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
You can read fiction in japanese? I'm jealous and impressed!
I have a looooooooong way to go to get there.
Many japanese books suffer horribly in the translation, the language structure and way of thinking generally being so different. Murakami and a few others fortunately seem to have outstanding translators.

Nooo. Again, I apologize.

I agree that many Japanese books can have horrible translations, according to professional translators.

Murakami has had two really excellent translators; and Murakami himself is a translator of Raymond Carver, one of my favorite Literary writers.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-15-2010 at 10:44 AM.