Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-17-2014, 01:42 AM   #31
8140david
Connoisseur
8140david began at the beginning.

Device: none
By the way, now that my text is nicely coded in epub, I'd like to create a LateX version. What's the simplest or best way to do so?
8140david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:16 AM   #32
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
I suppose the best will be converting it to html and then convert the html to latex.
As latex editor I strongly suggest you LyX.
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2014, 06:11 AM   #33
8140david
Connoisseur

Thanks.

Is there an automatic way to transform the html into LateX?
One that will reduce the amount of recoding I have to do after.
There are many candidates on internet, so I'm asking for some positive suggestion.
pandoc (http://johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/) might be the best.
But I wonder if there wouldn't be a simpler program to the task.

For LateX, I love TeXstudio:
http://texstudio.sourceforge.net/

Here is another question.
Should I use   to avoid formulas being split?
I've tried and it produces mixed result: sometimes it's helpful, sometimes it creates a strange "orphan" at the end of a line. I'm not sure I want to keep it.
I suppose there is no perfect solution, given that reader's screen tend to be small, someone might use a very big font, etc.
Still, one thing I've done is put (almost) every mathematical formula on a separate line. This helps avoiding annoying line breaks in several cases.
I also tried the CSS specification: {white-space: nowrap;}, but it didn't seem to have any effect.

Last edited by 8140david; 04-17-2014 at 10:40 AM.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:31 AM   #34
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
About html to tex converters, I do not really know, I never used them. Maybe it's more simple to convert the epub directly to pdf.
About LyX, only one word: WYSIWYM.
About nowrap, it's white-space, not whitespace.
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:41 AM   #35
8140david
Connoisseur

Thanks.
That was a typo about white-space.
Indeed, perhaps straight pdf generation from epub or html is simpler. I'll see what it gives when printed on paper.
Advert