Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-29-2013, 09:52 AM   #1
Scott479
male homo sapien
Scott479 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Clara HD
Display problem

Hi, I’ve had my Kobo Touch for a little over a year and have had relatively few problems. But recently I flew to Florida for a vacation and took my Kobo with me. While there, I used the Kobo frequently and it worked fine. When I got back, it sat for a couple weeks until yesterday when I tried to turn it on. Technically, it had been in sleep mode, but when I “woke it up,” it said it needed to be plugged in to be recharged. No problem, but I also noticed the display was not right. A portion of the last screen to display (the book cover of the last book I was reading) plus a more-or-less blank space is stuck on the screen (in an L-shape, about an inch in width). I recharged it over night, turned it off an on, performed both a basic reset and a factory reset, but nothing has affected the screen. Everything else works properly as far as I can tell, including the touch screen. The first thing I thought of was the airport security scans, however, it worked fine while I was there and on the plane back.

I sent a message to Kobo support, which they replied over a week later by telling me I should try the two resets (which I already had!), or "replace my device."

Anyone ever had this problem of have any suggestion?
Scott479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:18 AM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Do a search for broken substrate on here. Long story short is that you'll need to replace your device.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2013, 12:30 PM   #3
Scott479
male homo sapien

Here's a picture I just took. Does it look like a broken substrate to you?

It's weird, as the touch screen works even where the screen is screwy.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:32 PM   #4
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Yep, broken, must have cracked on your way home.

The screen itself isn't sensitive to your touch, it's the IR beams just above the screen that register your finger (or anything else that interrupts the beams). So those will keep working even though the substrate (underneath the top layer of the screen) is broken. That's why the touch still works on the broken part of the screen.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:46 PM   #5
Scott479
male homo sapien

Thanks
Advert
Old 03-29-2013, 06:12 PM   #6
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
commiserations
Sadly this can happen with any brand until they start fitting readers with flexible e-ink screens...
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:51 PM   #7
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
They really are still relatively fragile screens in this age of Gorilla Glassed LCD displays... You'd think they might address the problem by finding a less fragile substrate until they work out the kinks in flexible e-ink displays. Consumer items which are designed to be easily carried about in order to be "at hand" really should be tougher.

As has been noted in other threads the giveaway that it's a substrate break is the diagonals apparent in the break area.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote