Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 11-27-2012, 10:05 AM   #1
rrt
rrt began at the beginning.

Device: none
Converting to EPUB without making a TOC

I would like to make short documents into EPUB files. They do not need a TOC: I am thinking about individual short stories, poems &c.

I can find lots of hints on how to generate a TOC, but I can't find out how NOT to generate one! I'm starting from LaTeX, and going via LaTeXML quite successfully:

latexml --dest="$book.xml" "$book.tex"
latexmlpost --nodefaultcss --dest="$book.html" "$book.xml"
ebook-convert "$book.html" "$book.epub" --language en --no-default-epub-cover "$@"

Is there some way to make ebook-convert not make a TOC?
rrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:20 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
From http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cli/...le-of-contents maybe
Quote:
--no-chapters-in-toc¶
Don’t add auto-detected chapters to the Table of Contents.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2012, 10:51 AM   #3
rrt

Thanks; I should have mentioned I already tried that. With --no-chapters-in-toc, an empty TOC is still generated.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:21 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
An ePub has to have an NCX file even if it is empty.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:51 AM   #5
rrt

Sorry, I was imprecise. When I said that Calibre generates an empty TOC, I meant that it generates a TOC with just one entry, for the entire document. Here's a shell script to remove the offending TOC entry; however, it's a horrible hack, and what I'm really after is a way to avoid generating it in the first place:

#!/bin/sh
# remove-epub-toc
# Remove the TOC from an EPUB
# (Designed to work with Calibre-generated EPUBs with a single section; see FIXMEs for generalization)
# Reuben Thomas 27th November 2012

# Shell function from atool(1)
aunpack () {
TMP=`mktemp /tmp/aunpack.XXXXXXXXXX`
atool -x --save-outdir=$TMP "$@"
DIR="`cat $TMP`"
[ "$DIR" != "" -a -d "$DIR" ] && cd "$DIR"
rm $TMP
}

book=$1
shift

# FIXME: edit the XML properly rather than grepping
# FIXME: ensure identifiers are correct, computed if necessarily

aunpack -F zip "$book"
rm *_split_000.html
sed -i -e 's/split_000/split_001/' toc.ncx
grep -v html2 content.opf > content.opf.new
mv content.opf.new content.opf
apack -F zip "$book" .
mv "$book" ..
cd ..
rm -rf "$DIR"
Advert
Old 11-29-2012, 03:00 AM   #6
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
I think that perhaps the toc.ncx is a mandatory item in an ePub, and therefore calibre generates a default when you do not create one.

I checked a small ePub with the IDPF validator, (http://validator.idpf.org/), after removing the toc.ncx file and its reference in content.opf: it failed validation with a message that indicated the ncx was missing. Putting the toc back caused it to pass validation, comfirming that this file is required.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:10 AM   #7
rrt

As you can see from my script (above), I do not remove toc.ncx. I simply want an empty TOC so that when I open the book in a reader I am taken straight to the title page. Calibre generates a TOC with a single entry, which is the title of the work, and it's ugly and pointless. (For similar reasons, my very short ebooks don't have a title page either.)
Old 11-29-2012, 08:01 AM   #8
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Deleted incorrect advice...

Last edited by Gunnerp245; 11-29-2012 at 08:31 PM.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:03 AM   #9
rrt

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean by a "parameter" in "look and feel", or what "\" means. I re-read the "Look and feel" section of http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/conversion.html and that didn't help. Could you please elaborate?
Old 11-29-2012, 08:08 AM   #10
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
[redundant posting: someone else took up the thread]

Last edited by Agama; 11-29-2012 at 08:10 AM.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:11 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
An empty NCX is not allowed by the EPUB spec. http://idpf.org/epub/20/spec/OPF_2.0...m#Section2.4.1 And http://www.daisy.org/z3986/2005/ncx-2005-1.dtd
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:23 AM   #12
rrt

I do not have an empty NCX. Here is my NCX:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<ncx xmlns="http://www.daisy.org/z3986/2005/ncx/" version="2005-1" xml:lang="en">
<head>
<meta content="98160948-0367-400e-ad9b-07537e37a9ef" name="dtb:uid"/>
<meta content="2" name="dtb:depth"/>
<meta content="calibre (0.8.51)" name="dtb:generator"/>
<meta content="0" name="dtb:totalPageCount"/>
<meta content="0" name="dtb:maxPageNumber"/>
</head>
<docTitle>
<text>Foo</text>
</docTitle>
<navMap>
<navPoint id="deb7899f-3f43-42e1-aba4-be8924c74e48" playOrder="1">
<navLabel>
<text>Start</text>
</navLabel>
<content src="foo_split_001.html"/>
</navPoint>
</navMap>
</ncx>

The complete ebook gives several validation errors for the actual content (apparently Calibre has some bugs), but it makes no complaint about the toc.ncx or any other part of the navigation apparatus. (To be clear: the EPUB as originally output by Calibre gives exactly the same validation errors as the EPUB I produce by editing the TOC.)
Old 11-29-2012, 08:36 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You are creating an NCX with an entry that leads nowhere. Which is a lot uglier than an entry that leads to the start of the book. And is utterly pointless.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:40 AM   #14
rrt

I'm sorry, I don't understand. I haven't created (or removed) any entry in the NCX. I merely changed the link to "foo_split_001.html" (it previously said "foo_split_000.html"). Everything there was created by Calibre.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:47 AM   #15
rrt

Maybe it would help if I restated my original question in a more user-oriented way:

I have some very short documents (short stories, poems) that I would like to make into EPUBs. When I try this, I open the EPUB and land on a contents page with a single entry, for the start of the poem/story. This seems redundant: if I published the poem/story on its own, it would not have a contents page. How can I tell Calibre not to generate this contents list? (Note, I am not trying to avoid having an NCX file, or in any way violate the EPUB spec, I just want to improve how the book looks to the reader.)