Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-08-2011, 09:56 AM   #1
GameGod
Enthusiast
GameGod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GameGod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GameGod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GameGod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GameGod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GameGod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GameGod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GameGod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GameGod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GameGod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GameGod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Tablet
Aldiko Sync (Updated: No longer requires Root)

I'm an avid user of the Aldiko eBook reader app and recently got myself a tablet. Naturally, I wanted to be able to read my books on my phone and the tablet. I hoped there would be something that would allow me to easily do this, but I only found a stale thread on the Aldiko support site that said they would support this feature sometime in the future.

Therefore, I present to you, my first Android app, Aldiko Sync that allows you to sync both your books and bookmarks across various Android powered devices.

** Note **

As of version 5.4.18, the app no longer requires a rooted device.

Older versions of the app are not compatible with this version, so please upgrade all your devices to avoid sync failures.

Thanks!

** Note **

Now available on the market:

Requirements:
  • Android 2.1+
  • Aldiko 2.0.2+ (Premium or Free)
  • Dropbox account

Features:
  • Synchronizes eBooks across devices (including addition of new books and deletion of old books)
  • Synchronizes your position in each eBook across devices.
  • Pro Version: Fully automatic sync.
  • Pro Version: Faster sync check for changes on Dropbox
  • Pro Version: Trigger sync from an external application (like a Tasker/Locale plugin).
  • Ability to store deleted books in a separate "TrashCan" folder on Dropbox in case you want to retrieve it at a later date.
  • Ability to always sync to furthest read point (like the Kindle).

New Features:
    • Add option to always sync to furthest read point.
    • Improve code that checked for internet connectivity, should reduce the "Unable to reach Dropbox" message when switching from mobile to WiFi.
    • Pro Version: Allow error notifications to be dismissed when the "Hide Status Icon" option is enabled.
    • Bug-Fix: Detect and ignore incompatible thumbnail/cover images when adding new eBooks instead of failing the sync operation.
    • Bug-Fix: Fix very slow loading of library data for large libraries (100+ books) on devices whose default locale is not US English.
    • Updated app to fix issues on Android OS 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
    • Add option to always add books from a device to Dropbox on first sync (enabled by default)
    • Expand info sent via the "Report Issue" feature for a better support experience.
    • Bug-Fix: Fix the "eBooks Folder" field to be a single line control.
    • Pro Version: Improve license check code to reduce verification failure reported by some users. Requires updated unlocker app to be installed.
    • Pro Version: Update the "Hide Status Icon" feature to be more useful by displaying the icon when a sync is in progress.
    • Bug-Fix: (Pro Version) Fix issue where a sync was not performed if the device went to sleep due to the screen being turned off before the trigger could execute.
    • Add extra checks to verify internet connectivity before starting a sync operation. With this change, the "Unable to login to Dropbox" message should show up only for actual Dropbox login failures.
    • Correctly resize the cover/thumbnail image when adding a book to the device. Fixes issue with squashed images on certain devices.
    • Bug-Fix: Position in eBook was not being synchronized across devices if it had user defined bookmarks.
    • Make it much easier to report an issue with the app (Settings => Report Issue).
    • Bug-Fix: (Pro Version) (Android OS 2.2+) Fix crash on reboot when automatic sync is enabled and Aldiko is installed on the SD card. Correctly handle moving Aldiko from/to the SD card and SD card mount/dismount events.
    • Bug-Fix: (Pro Verison) Fix crash if automatic sync is enabled when Aldiko is not installed.
    • Bug-Fix: Fix issue with eBook getting updated on every sync on local device if it was deleted and re-added on another device.
    • Pro Version: Reorganize code to improve battery life when automatic sync is enabled during a long Aldiko session.
    • Bug-Fix: Discard stored local sync state if its incompatible with the new app. Fixes the "Unable to read library" error when loading previously synced books.
    • Bug-Fix: Fix handle leak on screen orientation change.
    • Rewrote core parts of the app so it no longer requires root access.
    • Further improvements to the code that handles dropped connections during a sync.
    • Bug-Fix: Fix issue with an eBook not getting the correct saved position under certain rare circumstances.
    • Pro Version: Minor improvements to the "Optimize Network Traffic" feature.
    • Updated app to work on Android OS 2.1 (Eclair)
    • Improve handling of dropped connections. This should help reduce sync failures.
    • Add feature to optimize data stored on Dropbox. This feature enables compression of the library data and speeds up the sync operation.
    • Bug-Fix: (Pro version) Under certain circumstances, eBook updates would not be applied on a subsequent sync if the first attempt failed.
    • Bug-Fix: Fix issue with icon in the status bar being stuck in the "on going" status even after the sync operation was complete.
    • Bug-Fix: Inadvertently introduced a bug in the previous version, which could cause a manually triggered sync to loop infinitely under certain circumstances. (Sorry!)
    • Pro version: Add ability to trigger a sync operation from external apps (like a Tasker/Locale plugin) via a broadcast intent (com.ucr.aldikosync.triggersync)
    • Bug-Fix: Auto sync was not being triggered after quitting Aldiko on certain devices (some HTC phones, devices with CyanogenMod 7 ROM, and maybe others)
    • Bug-Fix: The "Optimize Network Traffic" option is dependent on automatic sync being enabled. Fix the Settings user interface so this dependency is communicated to the user
    • Add option to hide the notification bar icon in the Pro version
    • Library handling code optimizations resulting in a smaller and faster app
    • Improve reporting of Dropbox errors to the user
    • Add support for fully automatic and faster sync checking in the Pro version
    • Supports both Aldiko Free and Premium
    • Fixes crash that some people reported with the initial release.

Please let me know if you have any questions/comments or concerns.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	main_pro_rotated.png
Views:	1764
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	78312   Click image for larger version

Name:	settings_pro.png
Views:	825
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	78313  

Last edited by GameGod; 01-08-2012 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Update supported Aldiko versions
GameGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:41 PM   #2
fgruber
Academic
fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Note Plus
sounds good. Does aldiko support annotations (highlighting, sticky notes) and can these annotations be synced?

Last edited by fgruber; 09-08-2011 at 06:44 PM.
fgruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2011, 06:55 PM   #3
GameGod
Enthusiast
GameGod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GameGod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GameGod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GameGod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GameGod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GameGod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GameGod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GameGod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GameGod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GameGod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GameGod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgruber View Post
sounds good. Does aldiko support annotations (highlighting, sticky notes) and can these annotations be synced?
I think it does support annotations, but I've never looked into it. Sorry.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:50 PM   #4
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Going to give this a try. I've been using the FBreader and FBsync, but I like the Aldiko reader better, so I'm excited to try this out.
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:52 AM   #5
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Sounds good but have they fixed the orientation problem in Honeycomb?
I gave up on Aldiko because it crashed every time I rotated my tablet. After sending several reports and going through a couple of updates with no fix, I gave up. I use FBReader, Kindle, Nook and Moon+ apps

I love the way Kindle will sync between devices and wish they would ALL sync and I'm constantly switching between devices and apps depending on where/what I'm doing at the time.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2011, 08:09 PM   #6
KanEHdeeANNA
KanEHdeeANNA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KanEHdeeANNA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KanEHdeeANNA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KanEHdeeANNA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KanEHdeeANNA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KanEHdeeANNA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KanEHdeeANNA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KanEHdeeANNA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KanEHdeeANNA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KanEHdeeANNA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KanEHdeeANNA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Coby Kryos Android
Well, at last I read something that sounds feasible. Being a newbie it sounds easy but I am unfamiliar with the terminology. for example, what is 'Root'? and how do I do it? I have the Coby Kryos and am running Android 2.2. I see a folder on my tablet that says 'ebooks' which there is nothing in of course. I also see a book that I downloaded in 'my downloads' on my Windows Vista computer. How do I get that book on my computer over to my tablet? I need instructions that are very basic since I have no idea what I'm doing. Thanks for the patience.
KanEHdeeANNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:25 PM   #7
GameGod
Enthusiast

New version released and first post has been updated with the details.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:44 PM   #8
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Has the rotation problem been fixed?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:19 PM   #9
GameGod
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Has the rotation problem been fixed?
what is the rotation problem? With my app or with Aldiko?

If its Aldiko, I haven't seen the issue, with the latest version, as I'm using it on my honeycomb based tablet.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:17 AM   #10
GameGod
Enthusiast

New version

New version released and first post updated with the details.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:13 AM   #11
GameGod
Enthusiast

New Version

Bug fix version released, first post updated.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:18 PM   #12
GameGod
Enthusiast

New version

First post updated.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:01 PM   #13
GameGod
Enthusiast

New version

First post updated.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:14 PM   #14
GameGod
Enthusiast

New beta attached to first post. App no longer requires a rooted device.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:29 PM   #15
prophet5590
prophet5590 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prophet5590 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prophet5590 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prophet5590 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prophet5590 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prophet5590 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prophet5590 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prophet5590 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prophet5590 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prophet5590 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prophet5590 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Charge, Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9
Thanks so much for getting a version that doesn't require root. I've only tried it on one book so far, but it's working perfectly, as far as I can see.
prophet5590 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aldiko, ebooks, sync