Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-08-2011, 01:41 PM   #1
Spaddel2710
Spaddel2710 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Book Recommendations based on read novels?

I´ve bee wanting to buy a new book for sometime now. And I hope someone here might be able to help. Books I really enjoyed are:
The Harry Potter Books (though I haven´t read them all)
City of Glass, Ashes, fallen angles and bones
the "gone" books
the dead and the gone
this is not a game
there´ve been more but I am looking for something like that.
I enjoyed the social networking part in this is not a game. Are there more books like that out there? Or maybe something by Stephen King or something like the dead and the gone. Hope somebody can help me.
Thanks
Martin
Spaddel2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:36 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Martin, have you tried the Literature Map web site (http://www.literature-map.com/)?

You enter an author's name and hit return then a new screen opens with that author in the middle and other authors arrayed around it. The closer an author is to the one you entered, the more like him they are.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2011, 01:52 PM   #3
Spaddel2710
Spaddel2710 began at the beginning.

Device: none
looks like a good site but I kinda was looking for book recommendations not author
Spaddel2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:12 PM   #4
A4-
Connoisseur
A4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheese

Device: iRex iLiad v2
Probably the best recommendation-site is Amazon.com. There's also goodreads.com, shelfari.com or whatshouldireadnext.com, to name a few.
A4- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:17 PM   #5
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Doctorow's "Little Brother" and "For the Win" both come to mind; both are available as free downloads from his site.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2011, 07:37 PM   #6
jtdolphins
Zealot
jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, Kindle3
I have been reading Artemis Fowl novels. I base this recommendation on the HP mention. The first few have been very good. I like a book that makes me laugh out loud. The world is interesting and the characters are fun. Artemis is almost a secondary character in the first two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Martin, have you tried the Literature Map web site (http://www.literature-map.com/)?

You enter an author's name and hit return then a new screen opens with that author in the middle and other authors arrayed around it. The closer an author is to the one you entered, the more like him they are.
Very interesting site.
jtdolphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:30 AM   #7
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
You might want to check out these two threads, since they are based upon books that the members here have read:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=135136

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=115256

The list that I have there in the 100 Books thread is mainly urban fantasy and mysteries, since that's what I'm into at the moment.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:43 AM   #8
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
i prefer goodreads overall. the recommendations I get from Amazon are messed up sometimes
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:54 AM   #9
Todd Young
Addict
Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
I've just finished Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist. It's a Swedish horror novel. One of the strangest books I've read, but I also liked City of Glass, and this one has a vampire twist in it.
Todd Young is offline   Reply With Quote