Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-19-2010, 08:36 AM   #1
georges0701
georges0701 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo ereader
Covers of the preloaded books disappeared - Help please!

Hello everyone,
First pardon me if my English is not perfect but I'm French...
As I've said in the tittle of my message the covers of all preloaded books are disappeared mysteriously after a synchronization with calibre... At this time, i have deleted all my pdf and all the books i had bought for attempting to restore the sql intial state... Without success... i have take a look at the sql database with sqlite expert personnal and for me the database seems clean with only the preloaded books records.... It is possible to reload a clean initial database somewhere? one precision all books in the kobo are accessible and well formatted and indexed only the covers are unavailable... If someone on the forum is an expert on sql i can upload my files on my rapidshare account if someone want to help me... Thanks in advance for your tips, tricks and help.
Cordially,
Georges.
georges0701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:27 PM   #2
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by georges0701 View Post
Hello everyone,
As I've said in the tittle of my message the covers of all preloaded books are disappeared mysteriously after a synchronization with calibre... At this time, i have deleted all my pdf and all the books i had bought for attempting to restore the sql intial state... Without success... i have take a look at the sql database with sqlite expert personnal and for me the database seems clean with only the preloaded books records.... It is possible to reload a clean initial database somewhere? one precision all books in the kobo are accessible and well formatted and indexed only the covers are unavailable... If someone on the forum is an expert on sql i can upload my files on my rapidshare account if someone want to help me... Thanks in advance for your tips, tricks and help.
Cordially,
Georges.
hmm.. not clear if you tried a factory restore by going into Settings > Advanced. Did you try that? Losing covers for your *pre-loaded* books is a new one.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:55 PM   #3
georges0701

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
hmm.. not clear if you tried a factory restore by going into Settings > Advanced. Did you try that? Losing covers for your *pre-loaded* books is a new one.
Hi SameerH.
Thanks for your interest about my problem. Yes to resest the kobo by the way you indicate without success.
Thanks,
Georges.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:02 PM   #4
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
I remember a thread last week that had a similiar issue:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87035

In that case, however, it was a little more clear that there was some kind of database corruption behind the issue. You don't seem to be experience the more exotic symptoms that user had, so I'm not sure.

Have you tried a sync using the official desktop tool? that seems to reset/rebuilt a part of the database, worth a shot anyway.

In the worst case, you might be forced to just delete the database and start fresh. You will lose the 100 pre-loaded books, but that's not really a huge deal, you can get them all back from Project Gutenburg. There are instructions how to do this on the Kobo FAQ some of us have started to polish up recently: How do I get rid of the 100 free books installed on my new Kobo?

As a side note, I have heard a few people mention that tech support has provided people with a download link to re-downloaded the 'base' Kobo files after they have accidentally deleted them. It might just be hearsay... maybe Sameer can comment on this?

@Sammer: Can you provide any insights into if/when you guys are going to provide us with some maintenance tools to rebuilt/clean-up/sanity-check the SQLite dbase?
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 05:12 PM   #5
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
@stinger,
Thanks for putting up that FAQ, it's really something. Great work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post

As a side note, I have heard a few people mention that tech support has provided people with a download link to re-downloaded the 'base' Kobo files after they have accidentally deleted them. It might just be hearsay... maybe Sameer can comment on this?
I'd be surprised if this is the case, although it's not a bad idea at all, let me confirm and see if the powers-that-be agree.

Quote:
@Sammer: Can you provide any insights into if/when you guys are going to provide us with some maintenance tools to rebuilt/clean-up/sanity-check the SQLite dbase?
Haven't scheduled this work yet unfortunately since we're maddeningly busy with the update, the international launch, etc.

But again, not a bad idea at all, maybe I can kidnap...er.. persuade a developer to work on it for extra pizza.

OR if someone wants to take a crack at building an open source tool, let me know what info you need from us (shasan at kobobooks dot com).

As for the OP, please try to do a sync with the Kobo Desktop application bundled with your eReader, as stinger suggests. Let us know how it goes.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:34 PM   #6
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by georges0701 View Post
Hello everyone,
Cordially,
Georges.
Hi

I can probably help if this is still an issue. First though make sure that the folder .kobo/images exists on the device and that there are image files in the folder.

I assume that you mean that they no longer show on the device but is that correct?

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 05:57 PM   #7
georges0701

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlegge View Post
Hi

I can probably help if this is still an issue. First though make sure that the folder .kobo/images exists on the device and that there are image files in the folder.

I assume that you mean that they no longer show on the device but is that correct?

Tim
hi Tim,
you're right, the .kobo/images exist on my devices and there are images files on it.
Thanks for help and interest about my problem.
Georges.

Tags
kobo reader, sqlite