Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-06-2010, 08:16 AM   #1
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Purchasing Tolkien books overseas

I previously purchased The Lord of the Rings from Books on Board which was all well and good.
I went back to buy The Hobbit.
It demanded my full (Australian) address "for tax purposes"(?). When I went to buy The Hobbit, it said it isn't available in my country.
I checked The Lord of the Rings, same thing.
What happened?
Where do I have to go now to buy The Hobbit?
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:23 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
welcome to the wonderful international world of "geographic restrictions" .....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2010, 08:40 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
You don't. They want you to get it by other means...

What site did you visit, UK or US? I tend to stay away from the UK one because the selection is much smaller there...

Last edited by Sweetpea; 05-06-2010 at 08:45 AM.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:43 AM   #4
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Got a paper copy? If so, you are entitled to format shift it. If someone else does that for you for nothing, good luck to you. ;-)
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:34 PM   #5
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
You don't. They want you to get it by other means...

What site did you visit, UK or US? I tend to stay away from the UK one because the selection is much smaller there...
Tried both.
Advert
Old 05-06-2010, 09:36 PM   #6
AprilHare
Wizard

Let's be clear: we pay good money for a liseuse and are ready to pay good money for a good ebook.
Is there another seller that will sell to me? I want Tolken!!
Who should I whinge to? HarperCollins?
Old 05-06-2010, 10:09 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
What happened?
Aren't Australian book publishers getting more into ebooks now? Maybe Harper Collins Australia got the geo restrictions expanded because they're putting out their own edition to get a cut of the money? Don't know why else it would have changed. Sony has it, but I'm sure it's probably restricted too so there would be hoops to jump through to get it from them. At WH Smith is says UK Only.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:13 PM   #8
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Publisher, son, and agent. All guilty to some degree or other.

If you still can't find one, I am sure a PM to one of your fellow aussies will get you a format shifted hookup without too many problems.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:20 PM   #9
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
There are heaps of football stadiums in the US - if they are all full, I'm happy to move over and squeeze you in a little corner in the one I'm living in.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:46 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Aren't Australian book publishers getting more into ebooks now? Maybe Harper Collins Australia got the geo restrictions expanded because they're putting out their own edition to get a cut of the money? Don't know why else it would have changed. Sony has it, but I'm sure it's probably restricted too so there would be hoops to jump through to get it from them. At WH Smith is says UK Only.
Hmm, how does that explain I'm not allowed to buy it either? As far as I know, there are no Dutch publishers that publish English books...

(glad I made use of the introduction price at FW when they came out and bought all three the Tolkien books available...)
Old 05-07-2010, 03:20 AM   #11
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
No place to buy it in Australia that I am aware of.

You'd think that some of the most loved books ever and continual sellers would be those you'd get around to first?

Those that people will check and go 'you don't have these you blank blankety blanks'?

Last edited by Blue Tyson; 05-07-2010 at 03:21 AM. Reason: blankety blank
Old 05-07-2010, 03:23 AM   #12
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Hmm, how does that explain I'm not allowed to buy it either? As far as I know, there are no Dutch publishers that publish English books...
Yeap, same for France
I have a right to read in english if I feels like it now what !

Worse with regional restriction is when you're expat and can't acces stuff from you own country
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:28 AM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Yeap, same for France
I have a right to read in english if I feels like it now what !
It looks like they want you to read in your own language only...

But as most Dutch ebooks seem to be drama (eeeewwww!) horror (eeeewwww!) or thrillers (eeeewwww!), it'll be a long time before I buy a Dutch ebook...
Old 05-07-2010, 09:39 AM   #14
AprilHare
Wizard

Fictionwise, same thing.
The geographical restrictions seem to have restricted further.. don't they like money or something in America?
Old 05-07-2010, 10:51 AM   #15
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain

They don't like it in America or England, it seems.