Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-09-2012, 03:40 PM   #31
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
Even better, I think I have cracked it! I used Nook for PC for download the epub to my PC. On Windows 7 the epub gets saved to C:\Users\user\Documents\My Barnes & Noble eBooks\your email address. As others have said, the epub is not encrypted so it is a simple matter to transfer to the Kobo.
That's exactly how gbm did it.

Quote:
This should work out better/cheaper than FW, where they stopped subscriptions some time ago, so I have had to buy each issue individually. Now I can have a cheaper subscription from B&N.
I think it was probably still cheaper buying them individually when you used some of the bigger Fictionwise coupons.

Quote:
Also the epub format I think is very similar to the format FW was selling recently. The Asimov's epub on FW changed format internally a few months ago. The old format had much better use of css and was produced by converting from another format to epub using Calibre (obvious because of all of the Calibre styles in the css). The format changed a few months ago on FW, and the same new format is being used by B&N (presumably it is the supplier who changed the formatting). Now the formatting is more "primitive" - less css, no paragraph indents, limited use of style classes and no evidence of Calibre. I always do my own styling anyway, so I can use my existing styling that I have been using when I got the mag from FW.
At least with the most recent Analog, the Fictionwise version and the Nook version are identical other than a couple of changes in the OPF file and the fact that the Nook epub is uncompressed.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:13 PM   #32
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Ok, there is also a work round with subscriptions via Amazon UK at least. Go to manage my kindle page, subscription settings, then actions for the periodical you want. Click on download and transfer by usb. Choose transfer to whichever device you want, and save the file anywhere convenient. Add the book to Calibre, usual disinfection routine then THIS IS IMPORTANT edit the metadata to change the title. If you don't then you will have a years worth all with the same title that will show as duplicates that can rather easily get deleted by mistake (Go on, ask me how I know this) Duh!
Voila! Saved for ever!
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:17 PM   #33
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperclassique View Post
Ok, there is also a work round with subscriptions via Amazon UK at least. Go to manage my kindle page, subscription settings, then actions for the periodical you want. Click on download and transfer by usb. Choose transfer to whichever device you want, and save the file anywhere convenient. Add the book to Calibre, usual disinfection routine then THIS IS IMPORTANT edit the metadata to change the title. If you don't then you will have a years worth all with the same title that will show as duplicates that can rather easily get deleted by mistake (Go on, ask me how I know this) Duh!
Voila! Saved for ever!
This still requires you to have a physical Kindle registered to your account, though?
Old 12-12-2012, 01:27 AM   #34
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
This still requires you to have a physical Kindle registered to your account, though?
I don't think so, but I'm really not sure. I will try with a free trial on my US account, which doesn't have a physical kindle.

This is what it says if you click on "how subscriptions work"

Issues will be delivered automatically.....you can download to other devices by using archived items.

So it seems that ought to work. Now I just need to find something I want to read and don't already subscribe to.

Ok, it should work if you have kindle for iphone. Ipad or android. It won't work with kindle for pc.

Last edited by piperclassique; 12-12-2012 at 01:56 AM. Reason: More information
Old 12-12-2012, 03:54 AM   #35
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot

Hi again. OK, the magazine is fine on the tablet, it shows as available to download via USB and transfer to the tablet, it downloads just fine, and shows up in calibre but I can't clean it up without a device serial number. So it can be kept and re-read but only on the app. At least that means you aren't limited to the last six months worth.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #36
hwlester
Wizard

Thanks for researching. Fantasy & Science Fiction is available on Kindle for Android, but many magazines aren't. I've debated picking up a used Kindle just so I could have a device registered in my account for these sort of situations. A little extravagant, though.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:50 PM   #37
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot

You know, I was having the same idea.....But then I thought that with my kindle, my better half's kindle, a VPN, USunlocked, my son in the UK and accounts on Nook and Kobo as well as three Amazon accounts it was getting quite complicated enough.
So I sat down with a cup of tea and something to read until the thought went away.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:58 PM   #38
hwlester
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperclassique View Post
You know, I was having the same idea.....But then I thought that with my kindle, my better half's kindle, a VPN, USunlocked, my son in the UK and accounts on Nook and Kobo as well as three Amazon accounts it was getting quite complicated enough.
So I sat down with a cup of tea and something to read until the thought went away.
ROFL... Sounds almost as bad as me... Sony PRS-600, Sony PRS-T1 (although the 600 is just my backup), 10" Android tablet, 7" Android tablet, and Android phone (plus Amazon, B&N, Sony, Kobo, BoB, eBooks.com accounts and probably more I'm missing). My wife has a nook WiFi (first gen) and her own account.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:23 AM   #39
ballfresno
Addict
ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (Sage, Aura One, Aura HD, & Touch); reMarkable tablet.
Okay. The March issue of Analog has appeared on Nook's site in the UK. I've subscribed and have downloaded on my wife's Android tablet so I can read it there if I have to. The next step is to try to get it onto my Kobo... I'll try the download to PC route but therein lies another challenge: I don't have a PC with Windows. Sigh.
ballfresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:44 AM   #40
ballfresno
Addict
ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Managed to get onto a PC running windows and have downloaded the issue to my Kobo via Calibre! Bit of a palaver but doable. Dell Magazines should really get its act together...

Anyway, thanks all for the various suggestions.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:41 AM   #41
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballfresno View Post
Okay. The March issue of Analog has appeared on Nook's site in the UK. I've subscribed and have downloaded on my wife's Android tablet so I can read it there if I have to. The next step is to try to get it onto my Kobo... I'll try the download to PC route but therein lies another challenge: I don't have a PC with Windows. Sigh.
Nook for PC runs under Wine 1.3.16 or later in Linux. Nook for PC

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #42
ballfresno
Addict

Thanks. I'll give wine a try next month! Should have thought of that myself given that I used it for ADE recently.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:26 PM   #43
hwlester
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballfresno View Post
If you have it on the Android tablet, you can copy it from there to a PC, then to your Kobo.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:48 AM   #44
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Looking at the Analog website, there's an ebook store I don't recognize: Magzter

They seem to be offering annual subscriptions for less than the total annual charge at Amazon or nook.

Ah. The catch is that they're a DRM-protected (ugh) PDF (ugh) format. No thanks.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:52 AM   #45
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'm torn between a Kindle sub and a nook sub. The Kindle sub is (a little) cheaper but is a DRM-protected KF8 (I hope KF8, anyway). The nook sub seems to be a DRM-free ePub.

The DRM-free bit would sway it for me, if my current experience with B&N (waiting for my fictionwise library to transfer over) wasn't so dire.

Well, since I do have the Jan/Feb Analog and the Jan Asimovs, I suppose I can wait and see if B&N do manage the transition eventually.

Last edited by pdurrant; 01-10-2013 at 10:24 AM. Reason: edited to make it make sense!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote