Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-18-2012, 08:36 AM   #706
Speaker_unclear
total noob
Speaker_unclear began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Step one: Re-charge the battery.

Yes: I can see in your post that you have already read about that, but now your situation may well be different.

Either (or both) of two things has happened:
The battery has been over-discharged enough that it can no longer hold enough charge, OR
The battery has been discharged to the point that the internal battery management can no longer re-charge it.

Remove battery from Kindle, recharge it with an "Amazon Approved" re-charger.
That is the "official" company line.

For DIY situation - you can use any general purpose Li-Ion charger, OR
You can "fake it" -
Use a constant current, voltage limited, charging source;
Recharge at 30% of the listed (on the battery) one-hour rate for two hours.
Do not exceed a terminal voltage of 4.2 volts under charge;
Do not let the temperature of the battery raise enough to damage it.

That **might** (if not suffering from lack of charge holding capacity) get the battery back to a condition where you can get the Kindle into the "fastboot" re-charge mode.
Thanks, I'll give that a try this weekend and update on the results.
Speaker_unclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:52 AM   #707
adi23
adi23 is a splendid one to beholdadi23 is a splendid one to beholdadi23 is a splendid one to beholdadi23 is a splendid one to beholdadi23 is a splendid one to beholdadi23 is a splendid one to beholdadi23 is a splendid one to beholdadi23 is a splendid one to beholdadi23 is a splendid one to beholdadi23 is a splendid one to beholdadi23 is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kindle touch KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by adi23 View Post
I have recovered my old values from a log file, but i don't understand how should i set the values with the idme command.

Thank you
I have succesfully build a custom u-boot binary and patched my idme vars back.

Now the problem it's the following:

I can't reflash my kernels back with fastboot becouse u-boot bist is missing (kernels and partitions are gone).

I can't use the ssh since it's not installed (i'm not sure, never used).

Anyway, now i am able to acces U-Boot command line interface with Putty and run commands like idme and also I can access the recovery menu and i have the following options:

Menu
====
3. Load MMC0 over USB storage (doesn't working)
4. Erase MMC0
I. Initialize Partition Table (fdisk) and format FAT
O. Format and overwrite FAT partition
E. Export FAT partition
U. Update using update*.bin file on FAT partition
M. Update using update*.bin file on FAT partition of second MMC port
D. dmesg / kernel printk ring buffer.
Q. quit

I have used the option I and E (so i am able to transfer some files through the usb). Also i have downloaded the update 5.1.0.bin and tryed to use option U (I get the message:No updates found: No updates needed).

First thing that came on my mind is to use the update 5.1.0.bin. To use this, i think i need to modify the firmware version (the reason of the message "No updates found: No updates needed" ? ) so the kindle use this update (now the firmware is 5.1.0 already). The question is, this update will install my kernels back or u-boot bist?

Also, i could modify the custom u-boot again in order to load some data in memory, but i don't know exactly how should i do this, or what data should i load.

Also, is it possible to install/use ssh in this condition?

Thank you
adi23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:58 AM   #708
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I can't reflash my kernels back with fastboot becouse u-boot bist is missing (kernels and partitions are gone).
I've took a look at how fastboot is implemented in U-Boot. Unfortunately, I can't try validness of my research, as I have no access to serial console, but it should be enough to include following defines into include/configs/imx50_yoshi.h:
Spoiler:
Code:
#define CONFIG_MMC_MAX_TRANSFER_SIZE	(0xFFFF * 512)
#define CONFIG_USB_DEVICE		1
#define CONFIG_DRIVER_FSLUSB		1
#define CONFIG_GADGET_FASTBOOT		1

#define CONFIG_USBD_MANUFACTURER "Amazon"
#define CONFIG_USBD_PRODUCT_NAME "Kindle"

#define CONFIG_USBD_VENDORID			0x1949
#define CONFIG_USBD_PRODUCTID_FASTBOOT		0xd0d0
#define CONFIG_FASTBOOT_MAX_DOWNLOAD_LEN	((get_dram_size()) - (2*1024*1024) - (CONFIG_FASTBOOT_TEMP_BUFFER - CONFIG_SYS_SDRAM_BASE))
#define CONFIG_FASTBOOT_TEMP_BUFFER		0x7A000000
and then recompile U-Boot. Then new command shoud be accessible in U-Boot command line: fastboot.

Without fastboot u-boot.bin size is 62656 bytes, with fastboot size is 71580 bytes. So even with fastboot enabeld U-Boot should fit in OCRAM.

EDIT: oh I was deadly wrong about required defines as I've missed some of them. With additional defines size of u-boot.bin is more than 72kb, so it will not fit into OCRAM. If you're still interested:
Spoiler:
Code:
#define CONFIG_CMD_GADGET 1
#define CONFIG_USB_DEVICE               1
#define CONFIG_DRIVER_FSLUSB            1
#define CONFIG_GADGET_FASTBOOT          1
#define CONFIG_USBD_VENDORID                    0x1949
#define CONFIG_USBD_PRODUCTID_FASTBOOT          0xd0d0
#define CONFIG_MMC_MAX_TRANSFER_SIZE    (0xFFFF * 512)
#define CONFIG_FASTBOOT_MAX_DOWNLOAD_LEN        ((get_dram_size()) - (2*1024*1024) - (CONFIG_FASTBOOT_TEMP_BUFFER - CONFIG_SYS_SDRAM_BASE))
#define CONFIG_FASTBOOT_TEMP_BUFFER             0x7A000000
#define CRC32_BUFFER        0x02000000 + PHYS_SDRAM_1
#define CRC32_BUFFER_SIZE       0x00400000
#define CRC32_CHECK_UBOOT       0x00000010
#define CRC32_CHECK_UIMAGE      0x00000020
#define CRC32_CHECK_ROOTFS      0x00000040
#define CRC32_CHECK_MBR         0x00000080
Also change
Code:
#define CONFIG_POST         (CONFIG_SYS_POST_MEMORY | \
                             CONFIG_SYS_POST_FAIL)
to
Code:
#define CONFIG_POST         (CONFIG_SYS_POST_MMC_CRC32 | \
                             CONFIG_SYS_POST_MEMORY | \
                             CONFIG_SYS_POST_FAIL)

Last edited by eureka; 10-19-2012 at 09:46 AM.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:32 AM   #709
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
I have succesfully build a custom u-boot binary and patched my idme vars back.

Now the problem it's the following:

I can't use the ssh since it's not installed (i'm not sure, never used).

Anyway, now i am able to acces U-Boot command line interface with Putty and run commands like idme and also I can access the recovery menu and i have the following options:

Menu
====
3. Load MMC0 over USB storage (doesn't working)
4. Erase MMC0
I. Initialize Partition Table (fdisk) and format FAT
O. Format and overwrite FAT partition
E. Export FAT partition
U. Update using update*.bin file on FAT partition
M. Update using update*.bin file on FAT partition of second MMC port
D. dmesg / kernel printk ring buffer.
Q. quit

I have used the option I and E (so i am able to transfer some files through the usb). Also i have downloaded the update 5.1.0.bin and tryed to use option U (I get the message:No updates found: No updates needed).

First thing that came on my mind is to use the update 5.1.0.bin. To use this, i think i need to modify the firmware version (the reason of the message "No updates found: No updates needed" ? ) so the kindle use this update (now the firmware is 5.1.0 already). The question is, this update will install my kernels back or u-boot bist?

Also, i could modify the custom u-boot again in order to load some data in memory, but i don't know exactly how should i do this, or what data should i load.

Also, is it possible to install/use ssh in this condition?

Thank you
I'm not entirely sure... (what was that bist beast about again?) - but if you managed to repartition it - shouldn't your device be back in a state where you can use USB downloader mode? Give it a try with mfgtool or imx_usb_loader and the fastboot.bin u-boot (found inside the mfgtool download). If you're lucky, this will get you into fastboot mode where you could flash the debrick kernels and ssh-enabled diags partition, and then you could reboot into diags. Or did I miss something?
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:47 AM   #710
eureka
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
I'm not entirely sure... (what was that bist beast about again?) - but if you managed to repartition it - shouldn't your device be back in a state where you can use USB downloader mode? Give it a try with mfgtool or imx_usb_loader and the fastboot.bin u-boot (found inside the mfgtool download). If you're lucky, this will get you into fastboot mode where you could flash the debrick kernels and ssh-enabled diags partition, and then you could reboot into diags. Or did I miss something?
"bist" is the second-stage U-Boot, which is loaded by ordinary, first-stage U-Boot. bist U-Boot is bigger than ordinary U-boot and bigger than OCRAM size, so it can't be loaded right after restart. Initially, ordiinary U-Boot (which is loaded into OCRAM) initializes DRAM, then it loads bist U-Boot into DRAM (<later EDIT> only after explicit request from ordinary U-Boot console accessible through serial connection or from setting value of idme variable bootmode to fastboot etc. </later EDIT>). bist U-Boot is more featureful (that's why it's bigger). For example, fastboot mode is included into bist U-Boot, but it's not in oridinary U-Boot.

BTW, I think you're right and loading of fastboot.bin (through USB downloader mode) should work as usually.

Last edited by eureka; 12-22-2013 at 05:39 PM. Reason: new knowledge
Old 10-19-2012, 09:17 AM   #711
adi23
adi23 is a splendid one to beholdadi23 is a splendid one to beholdadi23 is a splendid one to beholdadi23 is a splendid one to beholdadi23 is a splendid one to beholdadi23 is a splendid one to beholdadi23 is a splendid one to beholdadi23 is a splendid one to beholdadi23 is a splendid one to beholdadi23 is a splendid one to beholdadi23 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
You mean i should run sb_loader -f fastboot.bin (from MfgConfig) while in Recovery mode? Can karnel img be loaded with sb_loader too?

I didn't tryed sd_loader until now, but as i read, i should be able to do this while in Recovery menu.

I will try also to modify the u-boot to load fastboot, as eureka suggested, as soon as i get home.

Thank you
Old 10-19-2012, 09:36 AM   #712
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You mean i should run sb_loader -f fastboot.bin (from MfgConfig) while in Recovery mode? Can karnel img be loaded with sb_loader too?

I didn't tryed sd_loader until now, but as i read, i should be able to do this while in Recovery menu.

I will try also to modify the u-boot to load fastboot, as eureka suggested, as soon as i get home.

Thank you
I'm not familiar with the mfg* stuff (I try to avoid Windows as much as I can), so I don't know what the command-line tools you mentioned mean.

Essentially, mfgtool comes with a GUI to load and start stuff on a Kindle which is in USB downloader mode, and it includes 3 custom u-boot images (fastboot, diags, main). imx_usb_loader does the same, but through a command line. I obviously prefer the latter, because it "just works" on Linux, no need for Windows, no need for Windows driver hell.

But if I'm correct, and your device works in USB downloader mode, both should do the job of getting your device into fastboot mode, from where you can follow the "normal" debricking procedure. So use whichever OS/tool you prefer
Old 10-19-2012, 09:52 AM   #713
adi23

Quote:
I'm not familiar with the mfg* stuff (I try to avoid Windows as much as I can), so I don't know what the command-line tools you mentioned mean.

Essentially, mfgtool comes with a GUI to load and start stuff on a Kindle which is in USB downloader mode, and it includes 3 custom u-boot images (fastboot, diags, main). imx_usb_loader does the same, but through a command line. I obviously prefer the latter, because it "just works" on Linux, no need for Windows, no need for Windows driver hell.

But if I'm correct, and your device works in USB downloader mode, both should do the job of getting your device into fastboot mode, from where you can follow the "normal" debricking procedure. So use whichever OS/tool you prefer
I have already tryed with MfgTool to fastboot but it's stuck on waiting device.
The reason it's that fastboot is included in bist U-Boot, and cannot be started because it's missing (tryed in U-Boot command to run bist and nothing happened). As Eureka suggested to load fastboot in U-boot binary should work (at least in theory ). By running fastboot in MfgConfig, the fastboot still need to be loaded by U-boot bist.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #714
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
I have already tryed with MfgTool to fastboot but it's stuck on waiting device.
The reason it's that fastboot is included in bist U-Boot, and cannot be started because it's missing (tryed in U-Boot command to run bist and nothing happened). As Eureka suggested to load fastboot in U-boot binary should work (at least in theory ). By running fastboot in MfgConfig, the fastboot still need to be loaded by U-boot bist.
Ah ok, that makes sense now. If you manage to compile a working "single-stage" u-boot which goes directly to fastboot, please also post it here - it may be useful for other folks.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:21 AM   #715
adi23

EDIT: oh I was deadly wrong about required defines as I've missed some of them. With additional defines size of u-boot.bin is more than 72kb, so it will not fit into OCRAM. If you're still interested:
Spoiler:
Code:
#define CONFIG_CMD_GADGET 1
#define CONFIG_USB_DEVICE               1
#define CONFIG_DRIVER_FSLUSB            1
#define CONFIG_GADGET_FASTBOOT          1
#define CONFIG_USBD_VENDORID                    0x1949
#define CONFIG_USBD_PRODUCTID_FASTBOOT          0xd0d0
#define CONFIG_MMC_MAX_TRANSFER_SIZE    (0xFFFF * 512)
#define CONFIG_FASTBOOT_MAX_DOWNLOAD_LEN        ((get_dram_size()) - (2*1024*1024) - (CONFIG_FASTBOOT_TEMP_BUFFER - CONFIG_SYS_SDRAM_BASE))
#define CONFIG_FASTBOOT_TEMP_BUFFER             0x7A000000
#define CRC32_BUFFER        0x02000000 + PHYS_SDRAM_1
#define CRC32_BUFFER_SIZE       0x00400000
#define CRC32_CHECK_UBOOT       0x00000010
#define CRC32_CHECK_UIMAGE      0x00000020
#define CRC32_CHECK_ROOTFS      0x00000040
#define CRC32_CHECK_MBR         0x00000080
Also change
Code:
#define CONFIG_POST         (CONFIG_SYS_POST_MEMORY | \
                             CONFIG_SYS_POST_FAIL)
to
Code:
#define CONFIG_POST         (CONFIG_SYS_POST_MMC_CRC32 | \
                             CONFIG_SYS_POST_MEMORY | \
                             CONFIG_SYS_POST_FAIL)
[/QUOTE]

Maybe i can get rid of other defines in this case
Old 10-19-2012, 10:31 AM   #716
eureka

Quote:
Maybe i can get rid of other defines in this case
I think it's possible. But I've tried to remove also some other commands (bootm, run) and failed in decreasing u-boot.bin size to 72kb or less. So I want to wish you good luck!
Old 10-19-2012, 11:18 AM   #717
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
The custom u-boot images I built, which are included in the MfgTool profiles, are the first-stage u-boot that fits in OCRAM, with the addition of a single line of code that temporarily sets the bootmode to one of (main, diags, fastboot).

When you use the fastboot version, it initializes SDRAM, and then loads the larger u-boot bist (Built-In Self-Test) from mmc into SDRAM. The kindle fastboot protocol resides in u-boot bist. With an erased mmc, it cannot load and cannot support fastboot mode.

It would be possible to create a (more complex) MfgTool profile that can also load u-boot bist over USB.

But with existing tools, the easiest method may be to flash mmc (including u-boot bist) over serial.

One problem is that the portion of /dev/mmcblk0 that contains u-boot and u-boot bist appears to be all zeros when you make a backup copy of the first 32MB. It may be necessary to export a backup of the mmc using the serial port...

Does anybody know how to get a backup image of u-boot bist from the mmc on a K4 or K5?
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:48 PM   #718
adi23

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Does anybody know how to get a backup image of u-boot bist from the mmc on a K4 or K5?
#define CONFIG_MMC_BOOTFLASH_ADDR 0x41000
#define CONFIG_MMC_BOOTFLASH_SIZE (14*1024*1024) /* 14 MiB */
#define CONFIG_MMC_BOOTDIAGS_ADDR 0xE41000
#define CONFIG_MMC_USERDATA_ADDR 0x3F000
#define CONFIG_MMC_USERDATA_SIZE (5*1024)
#define CONFIG_MMC_BIST_ADDR (120*1024)
#define CONFIG_MMC_BIST_SIZE (256*1024)

Does this helps? And how i supose to flash it over serial then?

Thank you
Old 10-19-2012, 01:14 PM   #719
eureka

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
With dd after backporting recent eMMC Linux driver.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #720
adi23

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
I think it's possible. But I've tried to remove also some other commands (bootm, run) and failed in decreasing u-boot.bin size to 72kb or less. So I want to wish you good luck!
I was able to build the u-boot (80.8kb) and run it over MfgConfig. I typed as you said fastboot in the console and said:

Entering fastboot mode..
USB speed: HIGH
Connected to USB Host!
USB speed :HIGH
Connected to USB Host!

After this i tryed to run fastboot getvar or other commands and i receive:
getvarcbsn FAILED (command write failed (No error))
finished. total time : 0.001s

Maybe have you missed something? Or it's a FLAG/PERMISION setted wrong?

Tags
debricking