Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-01-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Kindle Paper White review : Mobileread users

I thought about creating our own thread, by the people who truly knows about ereaders, us, Mobileread users ...

Please post your impressions here once you got it at home. I believe some of us should get it by today or tomorrow.

No online reviews, please, only Mobileread users.

Cheers,
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
I thought about creating our own thread, by the people who truly knows about ereaders, us, Mobileread users ...

Please post your impressions here once you got it at home. I believe some of us should get it by today or tomorrow.

No online reviews, please, only Mobileread users.

Cheers,
Sorry, no review yet

... just one further request: Please post the firmware version number from the "Device Info". This is very important info for us impatient devs
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:05 PM   #3
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Oh can we put our questions here too??

How does the contrast look with the light OFF? Compare with your old reader if possible.

If the light is set to OFF, does it still light up briefly when you wake the device?

How cool or warm does the light look? Can you see the LEDs at the bottom?

Thanks!
eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:16 PM   #4
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
And does the light indeed have blue tint?
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:33 PM   #5
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Oh can we put our questions here too??

How does the contrast look with the light OFF? Compare with your old reader if possible.

If the light is set to OFF, does it still light up briefly when you wake the device?

How cool or warm does the light look? Can you see the LEDs at the bottom?

Thanks!
eP
Sure, why not ...

The idea is having a thread with feedback, reviews and questions but from Mobileread users , not professional journalists ...
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:33 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I'll add the S/N prefix (B0XX) to ixtab's request for info about the FW . (With the matching model info: WiFi or 3G ).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:37 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I'll add the S/N prefix (B0XX) to ixtab's request for info about the FW . (With the matching model info: WiFi or 3G ).
We can give you that now even before they arrive:

Mine is B024 for a PW WiFi only with SO.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:41 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
B01B for PW 3G with SO
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:49 PM   #9
Top Tomato
Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
We can give you that now even before they arrive:

Mine is B024 for a PW WiFi only with SO.
Same here!
Top Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:51 PM   #10
wynand32
Enthusiast
wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Not sure why I'm reporting this, but mine is B024 for wifi only with SO.

Now, about the device itself, a quick report. I've been playing with mine today (ordered it as soon as it was available online), and it's a nice device. I'm coming from an original Nook 3G, and the Kindle PW is thinner, lighter, and the screen is mostly nicer. Some early observations:

1. There's much more ghosting than I expected and than I'm used to from the Nook. Maybe it's a characteristic of newer e-ink screens that they ghost more but change page more quickly. Perhaps if I configured the Kindle to refresh with each page turn I'd not see the ghosting, but man--it's much more noticeable to me than I expected. And I'm assuming for the moment that mine isn't faulty and/or there's not going to be an early update to fix a known issue. As it stands, text starts out nice and sharp after a page refresh, but it does get progressively worse for the next (5, I guess?) page turns.

2. My unit has pretty splotchy front-lighting. First, there's pretty obvious light bleed at the bottom where the LEDs are, although it's actually more that where the LEDs shine into the matrix there are some dark spots. It's odd--must be the way the thing is designed. Then, there are some brighter areas on the screen, clearly where there are flaws in the lighting mechanism. I might be returning this one and getting a new one if it seems like this isn't a common problem. The lighting still looks nice, but it could clearly look nicer. Perhaps this is an early build issue that will get resolved.

Update: Okay, #2 actually seems to be something else, perhaps oil from my fingers on the screen. Wiping with a microfiber cloth got rid of the brighter areas (which were mainly viewable at an angle from the top), which returned in other areas as I touch the screen to change pages. Weird, but there you have it.

3. I left Nook because B&N pretty much stopped supporting the Nook 3G, particularly in terms of syncing. Simply put, the thing stopped syncing about a year ago, and B&N has done nothing to fix it. Imagine my consternation, then, when the new Kindle PW refuses to sync the last page read after a few hours. Nothing I've tried short of deregistering and re-registering has fixed the problem--all of my other devices (Android tablet, Android phone, iPad) will sync no problem, but the Kindle PW won't send or receive the last page. It's driving me crazy.

So, some early-adopter issues, apparently. I think it'll be a great device once the kinks get worked out, but I'll probably be replacing mine. I'll be interested to hear if anyone else is having the same issues.

Last edited by wynand32; 10-02-2012 at 12:48 AM.
wynand32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:54 PM   #11
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
Not sure why I'm reporting this, but mine is B024 for wifi only with SO.
Thanks for the report! Could you please also let me know the firmware version? ("Device Info" in the Settings screen)
Old 10-01-2012, 11:03 PM   #12
wynand32
Enthusiast
wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Thanks for the report! Could you please also let me know the firmware version? ("Device Info" in the Settings screen)
Sure: Kindle 5.2.0 (1729740065)
wynand32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:04 PM   #13
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
Sure: Kindle 5.2.0 (1729740065)
Old 10-01-2012, 11:23 PM   #14
Wildgift
Connoisseur
Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Returning mine. Looks like 4-5 little flashlights shining up on the page. Amazon super nice. 2-3 week back order but o well.
Wildgift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:26 PM   #15
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Uh oh... this isn't looking so good!
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote