Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-02-2012, 10:19 AM   #1
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Calibre Mobi Files and Archives

Has anyone figured out if there are settings to use in Calibre in order to convert Amazon purchased files so that when they are on the device they are also not showing up as books in the Archives??
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:18 AM   #2
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Calibre Mobi Files and Archives

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
Has anyone figured out if there are settings to use in Calibre in order to convert Amazon purchased files so that when they are on the device they are also not showing up as books in the Archives??
when calibre is attached to the device sort by:

ondevice:false

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:36 AM   #3
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Thanks Alan:

But I am not trying to identify them in Calibre. What I want to do is keep my Calibre created mobi's from showing up as books in the Archive on my kindle and in the kindle for pc app. I don't want them to keep showing up as duplicates, so in other words I want the mobi files to be recognized by Amazon as being on my device.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:52 AM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
If you have modified the file so that Amazon does not recognize it, no. It is possibly just looking like a side-loaded book. If it is not modified, then Amazon should recognize it.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:54 AM   #5
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
Thanks Alan:

But I am not trying to identify them in Calibre. What I want to do is keep my Calibre created mobi's from showing up as books in the Archive on my kindle and in the kindle for pc app. I don't want them to keep showing up as duplicates, so in other words I want the mobi files to be recognized by Amazon as being on my device.
Whoops!
Old 02-02-2012, 01:41 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Nope I've never gotten it to do that. I use plugboards so the series are added to the title of the book. Calibre sees this as a different book then the one in its library.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:55 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
If you have the ability/skills to convert Amazon purchased books with calibre, then you should also have the ability to maintain your own backups.

So, if you've modified them to your own personal liking and prefer to read that version... then why not just delete the purchases you altered from your Amazon library (archive)?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Nope I've never gotten it to do that. I use plugboards so the series are added to the title of the book. Calibre sees this as a different book then the one in its library.
Really? I have a series plugboard also that I just started using with the last "book loading" (when I got the replacement K3, seemed like a good time) and I could have sworn that calibre recognizes them as a match for the correct book. Or I might be crazy. I think I need to connect my K3 to see if I'm just crazy, because if so this will wreck my system of using a reading list to sync.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:33 PM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Really? I have a series plugboard also that I just started using with the last "book loading" (when I got the replacement K3, seemed like a good time) and I could have sworn that calibre recognizes them as a match for the correct book. Or I might be crazy. I think I need to connect my K3 to see if I'm just crazy, because if so this will wreck my system of using a reading list to sync.
I haven't connected my Kindle in a while so it could be fixed but I stop using Calibre for transferring book via USB because I use pdoc cloud instead now because of the sync features it gives the book.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm pretty sure that Amazon's synching mechanism works off the ASIN identifier that's inside the book - and neither removing the DRM nor changing the title alters that. This is illustrated by the fact that Amazon's servers will still show you the "popular highlights" in a book even after you've removed the DRM and changed the title.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm pretty sure that Amazon's synching mechanism works off the ASIN identifier that's inside the book - and neither removing the DRM nor changing the title alters that. This is illustrated by the fact that Amazon's servers will still show you the "popular highlights" in a book even after you've removed the DRM and changed the title.
Once I finished adding my touches to a book through Calibre. Amazon sees it as two different books. This is why I send it through the Pdoc cloud feature.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #12
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Once I finished adding my touches to a book through Calibre. Amazon sees it as two different books. This is why I send it through the Pdoc cloud feature.
After you've done that (sent it through the Pdoc cloud feature) does Amazon then recognize it as a purchased book again (no longer appears in the Archived Items on your Kindle)?
Old 02-02-2012, 04:50 PM   #13
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm pretty sure that Amazon's synching mechanism works off the ASIN identifier that's inside the book - and neither removing the DRM nor changing the title alters that.
You are correct HarryT, that's how I get my non-Amazon books to sync across iPad2, iPhone 4 and Kindle 3.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:53 PM   #14
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
After you've done that (sent it through the Pdoc cloud feature) does Amazon then recognize it as a purchased book again (no longer appears in the Archived Items on your Kindle)?
Nope it's a separated book. Alot of books I buy are self published and need minor to alot of work on them before they are readable. Sometimes it's so bad I have to convert them to htmlz then open them up in Word and fix the issues by then it's whole new book once converted back to mobi.

I just send the pdoc to all my Kindles and it works well for me and I will have two of the same title in Archive item if I ever remove it but once I am done reading I delete the modified book from the cloud. The Kindle Fire allows me to send pdocs from the MYK page but it doesn't sync them once they are on the Fire. My K3 and K4 sync together allowing me to keep bookmarks, notes...etc
Old 02-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #15
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
I haven't connected my Kindle in a while so it could be fixed but I stop using Calibre for transferring book via USB because I use pdoc cloud instead now because of the sync features it gives the book.
Just to follow up, I can confirm that calibre is recognizing the "plugboarded" books, so that must have been fixed. I am relieved.

And Nyn, apologies for the thread hijack.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote