Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-12-2011, 01:33 PM   #31
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
I'm not sure I get your point...?

Are you agreeing? Because the examples you gave don't fit.

Are you disagreeing? Because putting the word invented in quotation seems to imply that you're being sarcastic and don't believe they did so. Which doesn't fit with the rest...

??
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:41 PM   #32
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
Yep.
Apple just "invented" having "let's remove SD card slot and sell N, 2*N GB versions".
Unlike Motorola, who provided an SD card slot, but just hasn't activated it yet for customers who paid for it 5 months ago?

Quote:
Apple just "invented" having 30% of the subscription by third parties.
Unlike Amazon, who until recently took 70%?

Plenty of blame to go around, but feel free to focus on your obvious pet peeve
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:16 PM   #33
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
They're not paying for Dropbox, they're paying for the millions of people who use Dropbox.
I don't think the goal is to buy the client base, I think it's to close the loophole to iTunes the Dropbox represents.

The fallacy of that is that Dropbox is not the only loophole, and even Apple does not have the resources to close them all.

When you wall off your garden, plugging the holes in the wall become job one.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:32 PM   #34
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Unlike Motorola, who provided an SD card slot, but just hasn't activated it yet for customers who paid for it 5 months ago?
No objections on other points I guess.

You forgot to add Samsung, who shamelessly copied brilliant idea of having no SD slot in its Galaxy Tab. That's yet another reason to sue them...

Quote:
Unlike Amazon, who until recently took 70%?
Comparing "30% of lifetime payments for subscription sold via appstore" to selling books on one of the ebook sites are we. I smell, iFanboism...
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:41 PM   #35
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Comparing "30% of lifetime payments for subscription sold via appstore" to selling books on one of the ebook sites are we. I smell, iFanboism...
70% on magazines and newspapers as well for the Kindle, until last year.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:41 PM   #36
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
You forgot to add Samsung, who shamelessly copied brilliant idea of having no SD slot in its Galaxy Tab.
My Galaxy Tab has an SD slot
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:46 PM   #37
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
I'm not sure I get your point...?

Are you agreeing? Because the examples you gave don't fit.

Are you disagreeing? Because putting the word invented in quotation seems to imply that you're being sarcastic and don't believe they did so. Which doesn't fit with the rest...

??
You don't get his point, because he has no point, other than blithering, incoherent Apple hatred.
Absolutely nothing he said refuted your point, which was that many companies buy smaller companies, for various reasons, and that Apple bidding on Dropbox was neither unusual or particularly sinister, if the rumor was even true, which is unlikely, imo.

Last edited by stonetools; 09-12-2011 at 02:49 PM.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:47 PM   #38
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Yep.
Apple just "invented" having "let's remove SD card slot and sell N, 2*N GB versions".
Apple just "invented" denying customer access to its own data.
Apple just "invented" having 30% of the subscription by third parties.

Last but not least, Apple invented "rectangular device with rounded corner" design and suing others for "infringing".
The thing is ... even though they probably did not invent any of those devices, they refined them to the point that they are now a complete success. I'm not an fanboy, but that's a fact.

Going back to the main topic, which is not about the iPad tablet, Dropbox is providing a service that is not only useful for tablets but for people who want to sync documents across different devices, including laptops or cellphones. I can save an excel spreadsheet on my HP laptop and check it later from my MacBook air. I can even access the same document using my Android phone.

Are other companies providing similar services than Dropbox ? Probably. But for X or Y reason, Dropbox is popular, simple and it works.

Having an SD card slot is useful, but does not replicate the file across devices. It's local storage, not cloud. An added benefit, but a different approach.

Last edited by jocampo; 09-12-2011 at 02:50 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:48 PM   #39
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
Apple bidding on Dropbox was neither unusual or particularly sinister.
Apple only bidding $800 million sounds pretty unusual to me
Old 09-12-2011, 02:52 PM   #40
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Apple only bidding $800 million sounds pretty unusual to me
Word. If Apple really wanted Dropbox, it surely could have met their price. Yet another reason to doubt the rumor.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:01 PM   #41
stonetools
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
The thing is ... even though they probably did not invent any of those devices, they refined them to the point that they are now a complete success. I'm not an fanboy, but that's a fact.

Going back to the main topic, which is not about the iPad tablet, Dropbox is providing a service that is not only useful for tablets but for people who want to sync documents across different devices, including laptops or cellphones. I can save an excel spreadsheet on my HP laptop and check it later from my MacBook air. I can even access the same document using my Android phone.

Are other companies providing similar services than Dropbox ? Probably. But for X or Y reason, Dropbox is popular, simple and it works.

Having an SD card slot is useful, but does not replicate the file across devices. It's local storage, not cloud. An added benefit, but a different approach.
To a large extent, services like iCloud and Dropbox largely obviate the need for SD cards. In any case, Apple has SD card slots in its Macs, so if not as if Apple is ideologically opposed to SD cards. Hard to see in that design decision any evil intent by Apple- except for those who want to find evil intent.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:20 PM   #42
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
Absolutely nothing he said refuted your point, which was that many companies buy smaller companies, for various reasons, and that Apple bidding on Dropbox was neither unusual or particularly sinister,
Precisely.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:31 PM   #43
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
I don't think the goal is to buy the client base, I think it's to close the loophole to iTunes the Dropbox represents.
What loophole?
What is this belief that the only way to get content onto the iPad is through iTunes? It is true for the Apple-supplied media apps (eg built-in Music and Video apps). It just isn't so for most third-party media-consuming apps.
FTP clients, FTP servers, web clients, web servers, samba clients, calibre (OPDS?) clients, app developers have found that there are lots of different ways to get content into apps. And Apple has approved each of these apps.
I only sync my iPad with iTunes when I need to do iOS updates, and with iOS5 that won't be required either.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:38 PM   #44
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post

The fallacy of that is that Dropbox is not the only loophole, and even Apple does not have the resources to close them all.

When you wall off your garden, plugging the holes in the wall become job one.
Itunes is not a walled garden.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:14 PM   #45
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
@wodin

I personally don't see Dropbox as a loophole, but a cloud service. Lot of companies are already investing on the cloud, including Google and Amazon.

If that article is true, acquiring Dropbox will place Apple in a better position, adding into its portfolio a well known cloud service used by thousand of people, even Android and Windows customers. No need to reinvent the wheel.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote