Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-09-2011, 08:48 AM   #1
BenChen
EPUB Metadata ******
BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
New program: EPub Metadata Editor

Hi everyone,

I wanted to let everyone know about a program previously on Google Code but now on GitHub:

The latest version can be downloaded here

If you use Calibre as your book library software, then you probably don't need my program. But if you are like me, and only use Calibre for ebook conversions, then this might be of interest.
  • The program allows you to edit the metadata of EPUB files, with a number of buttons that allow the user to do a number of common tasks with one click.
  • You can change (or add) a cover.
  • You can view the Table of Contents.
  • You can link to an external viewer (like the one in the Calibre program folder) if you want to view the EPUB file itself.
  • There is also an advanced pane which contains some batch operations and the ability to view and edit the OPF and TOC.NCX files.

I trust that you find it useful. If you discover any bugs, please use the issues list on GitHub:

https://github.com/benchen71/epub-me...-editor/issues

Sincerely,
Ben.

Latest Update: The current version is 1.9.6
Recent Changes:
  • Fix for version parsing error during check for update
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-05-09_160551.png
Views:	6178
Size:	422.4 KB
ID:	71163   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-05-09_160628.png
Views:	3555
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	71164   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-05-09_160823.png
Views:	3221
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	71165   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-05-09_160916.png
Views:	2823
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	71166   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-05-09_161016.png
Views:	2866
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	71167  

Last edited by BenChen; 01-21-2024 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Latest Update: The current version is 1.9.6
BenChen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:50 AM   #2
BenChen
EPUB Metadata ******
BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

By the way, if you are wondering about the book in the screenshots, it is a free download from Smashwords: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/53406 (for fans of Douglas Adams' "Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy", Neal Stephenson's "Snow Crash" and the TV series "Max Headroom"!)
Old 05-09-2011, 10:51 AM   #3
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Hi, Ben!

Looks like a great app, but it appears to be Windows only. Any plans to make it cross-platform?
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:16 PM   #4
BenChen
EPUB Metadata ******

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_albert View Post
Looks like a great app, but it appears to be Windows only. Any plans to make it cross-platform?
Sorry, no. It's programmed in Visual Basic .Net. I know that Mono is said to be somewhat similar, but I have not looked into it.

Sincerely,
Ben.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:49 PM   #5
thadmc
Thad McIlroy
thadmc began at the beginning.

Device: My personal computer
Hi Ben,

Very interesting work. Thank you.

Have you seen any discussion of whether ONIX-style metadata should be stored within an epub file or kept as a separate file? Thanks.
thadmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:13 AM   #6
BenChen
EPUB Metadata ******

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadmc View Post
Have you seen any discussion of whether ONIX-style metadata should be stored within an epub file or kept as a separate file? Thanks.
Hi there,
I hadn't heard of ONIX, and after a short amount of googling, I am of the opinion that ONIX is a completely separate standard of ebook metadata. So, I don't know the answer to your question. However, an epub file is simply a zip file with a different extension, so you could certainly put the ONIX info in a file and put it inside the epub file. It's just that no current program would know what to do with it!
Sincerely,
Ben.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:21 PM   #7
BenChen
EPUB Metadata ******

Hi everyone,

A small update: I discovered a problem with the darg and drop of cover images. Fixed! Download link: here

Sincerely,
Ben.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:23 AM   #8
thadmc
Thad McIlroy
thadmc began at the beginning.

Device: My personal computer
ONIX futures

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenChen View Post
Hi there,
I hadn't heard of ONIX, and after a short amount of googling, I am of the opinion that ONIX is a completely separate standard of ebook metadata. So, I don't know the answer to your question. However, an epub file is simply a zip file with a different extension, so you could certainly put the ONIX info in a file and put it inside the epub file. It's just that no current program would know what to do with it!
Sincerely,
Ben.
Hi Ben,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Interesting that it never appeared on your radar before. I think that's true for many, and reflects an odd disconnect in publishing. Metadata is essential to discoverability, to ecommerce, to librarians, etc. and in an all-digital world it makes sense -- to me at least -- to keep metadata in the same place as "content" data. Amazon insists on receiving ONIX as does Apple for the iBookstore.

Currently they're separate, and ONIX is very unevenly supported among smaller publishers (although everyone agrees that it is THE standard for book metadata). But no one appears to have considered making it a part of ePub 3. (It presumably was considered, but for some reason not pursued.)

I'm going to the IDPF meeting in New York in 10 days, so I'll learn more there.

Thanks and best wishes with your software and your books.
thadmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:18 AM   #9
BenChen
EPUB Metadata ******

Hi everyone,

Another update. Here is the changelog:
- New 'metadata changed' dialog box with choices 'save', 'discard' and 'cancel'. This is definitely more intuitive!
- Minor fix when setting external viewer.
- Removing the content of some fields was not working. It is now.

Let me know if you find anything weird or just plain buggy!

Sincerely,
Ben.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:17 AM   #10
BenChen
EPUB Metadata ******

Hi everyone,

Another update. The change is minor. You can now drag the cover image from the application. If you drag to the desktop, for example, the cover file will be copied there. You can also drag from one instance of the program to another instance (copying the cover from one epub to another).

Sincerely,
Ben.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:40 AM   #11
BenChen
EPUB Metadata ******

Hi everyone,

Another small update. I discovered that if the original EPUB had no title or author metadata, my program was not saving these if the user added them. So this has now been fixed! Download from here.

Sincerely,
Ben.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:45 AM   #12
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenChen View Post
Hi everyone,

Another small update. I discovered that if the original EPUB had no title or author metadata, my program was not saving these if the user added them. So this has now been fixed!
Actually, If there is no title and author it is not a valid ePUB afak.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:48 AM   #13
BenChen
EPUB Metadata ******

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
I guess so. But today I made an EPUB using Sigil and forgot to add the metadata. So when I opened it in my program (to add a cover!) I also added the title and author metadata and discovered the bug!

Sincerely,
Ben.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:20 PM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
A title is required along with the language and a unique id to be a valid epub but an author is not required as the author may not be known.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:28 PM   #15
BenChen
EPUB Metadata ******

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
A title is required along with the language and a unique id to be a valid epub but an author is not required as the author may not be known.

Dale
Interestingly, Sigil provides the id, but allows you to save an EPUB without adding a title. (I can't remember if it includes a language tag or not.)

Sincerely,
Ben.