Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-30-2009, 02:22 PM   #46
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Isn't anyone interested in returning to cuneiform pressed into nice brown clay tablets?

Stitchawl
I prefer the clay to be more of a light putty/grey colour...
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:32 PM   #47
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
Does your avatar indicate you are a thread hijacker?
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2009, 03:03 PM   #48
rana
Gadget Freak
rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SonyPRS505,Kindle1,NokiaN810,VilivX70, SmrtQ7,JoinTechJE100,NookColor
I have the Silver, and I really like it ... BUT ... there is a huge practical problem I have (had) with it.

I do most of my reading in bed, at night, in the dark. So I use the MightyBright ExtraFelx2 reading light, and while this setup worked great, the silver lining on top of the Sony reader caused really bad reflection (at least for me, with the angle I hold it). So to get rid of that, I had to cover the top with a piece of black electrical tape. Once I did that, I went ahead and covered the left side and the bottom as well.

Now that I have done that, it seems easier on the eye to me when I am reading using a book light. During daytime reading also the black tapes don't bother me much.

Having heard all the raving about the Blue here though I am very curious to take a look at it

Last edited by rana; 03-30-2009 at 03:06 PM.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:10 PM   #49
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
Does your avatar indicate you are a thread hijacker?
What on earth gives you that idea?

(And shouldn't you be sporting an H too, now? )
Old 03-30-2009, 03:11 PM   #50
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by rana View Post
I have the Silver, and I really like it ... BUT ... there is a huge practical problem I have (had) with it.

I do most of my reading in bed, at night, in the dark. So I use the MightyBright ExtraFelx2 reading light, and while this setup worked great, the silver lining on top of the Sony reader caused really bad reflection (at least for me, with the angle I hold it). So to get rid of that, I had to cover the top with a piece of black electrical tape. Once I did that, I went ahead and covered the left side and the bottom as well.

Now that I have done that, it seems easier on the eye to me when I am reading using a book light. During daytime reading also the black tapes don't bother me much.

Having heard all the raving about the Blue here though I am very curious to take a look at it

The only thing is that the blue also (not sure about the red) has that silver on the top. But I have to say I haven't noticed it, but I have a different light and might hold it at a different angle.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2009, 03:42 PM   #51
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
The only thing is that the blue also (not sure about the red) has that silver on the top. But I have to say I haven't noticed it, but I have a different light and might hold it at a different angle.
i've not noticed that problem with my silver one, but I either use a clip on LED book light, or a head torch on it's lowest...
Old 03-30-2009, 03:45 PM   #52
rana
Gadget Freak
rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Yeah, I have noticed that the angle matters quite a bit (and the light could as well). I can force myself to hold it at a different angle where I don't see the reflection, but that somehow is not my "natural angle" and as soon as I get immersed into the content, the natural angle comes back and my eyes start complaining

Which light do you use by the way ? Just curious ...
Old 03-30-2009, 03:48 PM   #53
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by rana View Post
Yeah, I have noticed that the angle matters quite a bit (and the light could as well). I can force myself to hold it at a different angle where I don't see the reflection, but that somehow is not my "natural angle" and as soon as I get immersed into the content, the natural angle comes back and my eyes start complaining

Which light do you use by the way ? Just curious ...
I've been using a Book Owl. I don't like it that much though- my particular one is defective (it flickers a lot, but the one I got my mom doesn't), but also the light is bright at the top and it bothers my eyes.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:09 PM   #54
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Mrgauth--
I also have both an iPod Touch and a Sony 505. Truth be told, if I had to give up one of the devices, I don't know which I would choose!

I really like my Touch, but don't use it for reading. I have read a limited amount on it, but IMO, the 505 is so much better for this that I just don't use the Touch for reading.

I use the Touch for all the PDA functions and accessing me e-mail and the net when I'm out and about. I also use it for listening to audio books.

If you decide to buy a Touch and if having an external speaker and volume buttons on the side aren't important features of the Touch for you, I recommend looking at refurbished 1st Gen Touches from Apple. They replace the battery and the casing on each. I just bought my husband one of these for his birthday, and it looks and acts like new. It was substantially cheaper than buying a brand new 2nd Gen Touch.

Good luck with your decision!

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:21 PM   #55
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Well I guess I'll be shopping for an Ipod touch now. I hadn't really given these much thought but I just watched this awesome video tour and I HAVE TO have one now. I'm shopping around for the best price. So far, Frys is the winner. I was thinking of getting a Nintendo DS, but I think I'd get alot more use out the Ipod touch because then I wouldn't have to keep buying the games for the DS, plus there's alot more applications for the Ipod touch that appeal to me than there are DS games. THANK YOU for mentioning the Ipod touch!! Now I'm off to find a forum for those.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:50 PM   #56
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgauth View Post
I decided to get me a prs-505 but boy am I struggling with choosing a color.

Any thoughts? I know I know. Just get one and read, right?! I am probably analyzing it too much, but don't want any buyers remorse is all. I have a problem with that for some reason.
Thanks
It does not matter much which color you get, because your next purchase should be a cover for it that is black:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KLVQEM

The reasons you need to purchase this cover, aside from the obvious fact that it is black and therefore Highly Cool, are that (1) the cover that the 505 comes with is not very protective, whereas the black cover available above protects the 505 very well, and (2) the 505, when the cover is removed, is actually kind of slippery, whereas the black cover gives it a kind of non-slippery heft which allows for a good grip on the thing.

Plus it is actually a rather elegant looking cover.

Now, having given you the above conclusive argument, I will point out that the blue 505 blends most unobtrusively with the black cover. I, myself, have the blue, of course.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:06 AM   #57
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
It does not matter much which color you get, because your next purchase should be a cover for it that is black:

That really is a nice cover. Shame they don't make it in Saddle Tan. I guess I'll have to make one myself. (Hence my screen name!) Maybe Saddle Tan for the leather actually holding the reader, but some Elephant-grained gray for a front and back cover. That should compliment the SILVER 505 very nicely!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:25 PM   #58
rana
Gadget Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post

The reasons you need to purchase this cover, aside from the obvious fact that it is black and therefore Highly Cool, are that (1) the cover that the 505 comes with is not very protective, whereas the black cover available above protects the 505 very well, and (2) the 505, when the cover is removed, is actually kind of slippery, whereas the black cover gives it a kind of non-slippery heft which allows for a good grip on the thing.

Plus it is actually a rather elegant looking cover.

Now, having given you the above conclusive argument, I will point out that the blue 505 blends most unobtrusively with the black cover. I, myself, have the blue, of course.
Bought that cover directly from i-nique (thru ebay). Thanks so much for recommending this !
Old 03-31-2009, 03:28 PM   #59
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
I've had both and although it should make little difference, I find the blue to be easier to read due to the higher contrast with the eInk screen. It's been debated left and right and many families have been broken up because of the controversy, but I swear my blue 505 is easier to read than my silver one.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:17 PM   #60
julia
Connoisseur
julia began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505, kindle2, nook glow
i have a silver and red one.
the feeling is that the red one is more comfortable for my eyes...
julia is offline   Reply With Quote