Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-10-2014, 07:24 AM   #46
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I have not encountered any problems with any of the apps I use in Lollipop. It does seem a little faster.

Some of the simple games I play are still sluggish when compared to the same games played on my Fire HD 6.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 04:13 PM   #47
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Finally got the update.

All seems okay so far. Not a fan of the new look, but I'm sure it's just a matter of getting used to it.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2014, 04:35 PM   #48
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
For those don't like the look, what is it that you don't like? The home screen, app drawer, etc.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 05:05 PM   #49
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
For those don't like the look, what is it that you don't like? The home screen, app drawer, etc.
For me it was mainly the keyboard. Stark white with no dividing-lines of any kind. I've since switched to the dark keyboard, but it's still a bit weird.

Next in line is the garish colors of the various Google apps: red GMail, blue Contacts (not to mention the giant-ass images on a contact's "Card" that I can't find a way to turn off), the green Playstore and the cartoonish backgrounds/headings on the Calendar and Google Now).

Luckily, I rarely open those apps and mostly rely on widgets to display their relevant info on my home page, but still... they're just a little too "gumball machine" for my tastes when I do use them.

But it's not a deal-breaker for me. I don't spend long hours gazing at the various portions of the OS or anything. I'm mostly in and out of a few apps that have tastefully subdued (or at least configurable) color-schemes.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-10-2014 at 05:09 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 05:24 PM   #50
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
My son's been experimenting with the Nexus 7 tablet to see if he would want something similar for Christmas. Yesterday evening he says to me "the tablet wanted to update something, I said yes", and really wasn't paying attention. When I woke it up this afternoon I remembered the conversation, otherwise I might've thought it updated automagically.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2014, 05:35 PM   #51
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
For me it was mainly the keyboard. Stark white with no dividing-lines of any kind. I've since switched to the dark keyboard, but it's still a bit weird.
How do you do that?

I got the update a couple of hours ago. It's OK, but I use Nova launcher so I'm probably insulated from some of the effects.

By the way, I've always used Firefox, but it's unusable under 5.0.1 - crashes constantly.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 05:41 PM   #52
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
How do you do that?
Settings->Language & input->Google Keyboard->Appearance & layouts->Theme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967
I got the update a couple of hours ago. It's OK, but I use Nova launcher so I'm probably insulated from some of the effects.
Same here.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:50 PM   #53
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks!
Old 12-10-2014, 06:01 PM   #54
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
The colors on the home screen seem very muted compared to what it looked like in KitKat. I managed to turn up the screen brightness a tad which helped a bit. I'm not a fan of the Google app colors, but I'll adjust eventually (the yellow in Keep is particularly not a favorite, but they all look like grade school crayons now).

When you go into settings, things are arranged quite differently.

The keyboard is my main issue, so I am going to try another theme as DiapDealer has given instructions for.

I'm sure by next week I'll have forgotten what stuff used to look like and all will be fine.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:03 PM   #55
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Update: force closing, restarting and clearing the cache for Firefox seems to have solved the crashing issue.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:07 PM   #56
library addict
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Settings->Language & input->Google Keyboard->Appearance & layouts->Theme

I went with Holo Blue and now have a nice grey keyboard.

Okay, I changed it to Halo White and now the spellcheck words are white. Keyboard is still white letters on a grey keys as in the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	haloblue.gif
Views:	194
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	132304  

Last edited by library addict; 12-10-2014 at 06:13 PM. Reason: addition
Old 12-10-2014, 06:07 PM   #57
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post
but they all look like grade school crayons now.
Very apt description!

Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict;
I'm sure by next week I'll have forgotten what stuff used to look like and all will be fine.
Ditto. I'm already forgetting, in fact.

I really do a notice a big performance/responsiveness increase. The battery might be draining a little faster, but that could just as easily be attributed to the fact that I'm playing with it a ton while I figure everything out.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:42 PM   #58
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Next in line is the garish colors of the various Google apps: red GMail, blue Contacts (not to mention the giant-ass images on a contact's "Card" that I can't find a way to turn off), the green Playstore and the cartoonish backgrounds/headings on the Calendar and Google Now).

Luckily, I rarely open those apps and mostly rely on widgets to display their relevant info on my home page, but still... they're just a little too "gumball machine" for my tastes when I do use them.

But it's not a deal-breaker for me. I don't spend long hours gazing at the various portions of the OS or anything. I'm mostly in and out of a few apps that have tastefully subdued (or at least configurable) color-schemes.
I won't notice most of these. I use Hacker's keyboard - the phone layout works well on my tablet too. I use K-9 Mail, Contacts +, and Jorte calendar. I've been using android long enough that I had to find substitutes for most things because I didn't like the original Google version. I don't use Google now and have Google search disabled, so I will only use Google play from your list.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:44 PM   #59
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post
The colors on the home screen seem very muted compared to what it looked like in KitKat. I managed to turn up the screen brightness a tad which helped a bit. I'm not a fan of the Google app colors, but I'll adjust eventually (the yellow in Keep is particularly not a favorite, but they all look like grade school crayons now).

When you go into settings, things are arranged quite differently.

The keyboard is my main issue, so I am going to try another theme as DiapDealer has given instructions for.

I use Nova launcher so I won't see that. It's interesting that the home screen is muted when everything else is brighter.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:10 PM   #60
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

For some reason, both Google People (i.e. contacts) and Quick Office have disappeared. There are icons on the home screen for them, but it says "App not installed" when I try to open them.

Anybody else having this issue?

And where is Google People to install?

ETA: Found the contacts (called "Contacts").

Last edited by Bilbo1967; 12-10-2014 at 07:16 PM.