Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-29-2013, 04:13 PM   #46
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I have way too much stuff in my house collecting dust as it is. I don't need to be adding more stuff to my shelves. If it's not available as an ebook or as an audiobook, I just skip it. I divested myself of the vast majority of my physical books a couple of years ago after I started collecting ebook readers instead.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:14 PM   #47
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I haven't bought a book in 5 years (and then, it was only because someone had given me a bookstore voucher for my birthday). Discounting the voucher, I havent bought a book (paper variety I'm talking about) since 2000 or so. Back then I was reading .lit on a Casio Windows device. I continued on with a laptop and spacejock's ybookreader. Once I switched to mac I can't remember what I was using (I think still the WinCE machine) and it was the first iphone that got me reading non .lit books. Jailbroken iPhone back then, + books/bookreader was the go. I would probably buy a paperback now, IF and only if I absolutley could not wait for the ebook. I have no space in my shelves, and my existing books are overflowing to every room in the house. "No More!" she cried.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2013, 04:29 PM   #48
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I divested myself of the vast majority of my physical books a couple of years ago after I started collecting ebook readers instead.
I wish I could get to this point. I still have way too many pbooks, or is it too few shelves.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:33 PM   #49
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I still have way too many pbooks, or is it too few shelves.
A shortage of walls. Too many windows?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:39 PM   #50
Rhialto
Enthusiast
Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
[QUOTE=teija;2497984]For photo-heavy books and cookbooks I agree - I definitely want the physical copy. I tried once to use a recipe on my iDevice when baking, but it was not worth the mess!

QUOTE]

I am an amateur potter. Put the iDevice in a good quality new (for maximum clarity) ziplock bag. The touch screen works fine through the bag, and the device is protected. You can buy commercial cases designed for cooks using iPads, but a ziplock bag is fine.
Rhialto is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2013, 04:47 PM   #51
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
A shortage of walls. Too many windows?
That could be it.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:47 PM   #52
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhialto View Post
Put the iDevice in a good quality new (for maximum clarity) ziplock bag. The touch screen works fine through the bag, and the device is protected. You can buy commercial cases designed for cooks using iPads, but a ziplock bag is fine.
That's a fantastic suggestion Rhialto! I hadn't even thought of that or realized that it would work inside a Ziploc! Thanks for the tip - I'll give it a whirl next time.
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:05 PM   #53
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
When I buy a Mars bar I'm paying for the confectionery as well as the wrapper. But I don't buy it for the wrapper. The wrapper performs a useful function - stops me having a sticky mess in my pocket or hand - but it's the chocolate that I want. So if someone managed to make a chocolate bar that didn't need a wrapper I'd buy it (or not) based on how much I wanted it versus the price.

The paper in a paper book isn't something I want. It's useful - it holds the print - but it's not why I buy a book. There are things about it - I can resell it, lend it etc - that it has over an ebook. But those don't happen to be things I'd pay extra for given that I lose the advantages of an ebook.
Ah but the candy bar has to travel through the physical world before you purchase it as well. It goes from the factory, to a warehouse, to another warehouse, to the store where you buy it. Ebooks can go directly from publisher (especially if self-published) to the buying public. Plus the publisher doesn't have to worry about losing money spent on paper & ink if they offer the book either free or at a reduced price during a sale. If it costs 30 cents to make a candy bar and the bar normally costs 45 cents to buy the candy maker makes 15 cents profit. If they offered a sale that had that candy bar only costing the buyer 20 cents then the candy maker would lose 25 cents rather than making 15 cents profit. Ebooks cost less to produce than pbooks I'd think because it's just a matter of formatting and spell checking one copy that is copied each time someone buys that particular title. There is no additional cost in printing new copies, no cost in buying paper or ink. No additional cost in storage for the multiple copies before the bookstores purchase them or cost in gas or other fuel in transporting those copies from the warehouse. It's all electronic.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:06 PM   #54
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
If both e-book and print book are priced the same, it comes down to a matter of quality to me. Conventional narrative fiction and non-fiction titles with few or no pictures don't lose anything in e-book format, so I'd go electronic.

Does the title have many illustrations and maps that are missing in the e-book version? This is very important to me. I pick the print version in this case.

Does the title have working footnotes in the e-book? If so, e-book; otherwise I'd choose the print edition if the footnotes are important for understanding.

Poetry isn't always well-served in e-book versions, so again I'd chose print.

Whenever possible, I read reviews and download samples to figure out which version is best for me.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:13 PM   #55
OddCosine
Connoisseur
OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
It's over. The public is clearly willing to pay a comparable (or very slightly less) price for ebooks that they do for print books. Does anybody truly see that changing in the the near future?
Maybe not in the near future, but I'm not sure it's over. To oversimplify, publishers should be pricing both print and ebooks in order to maximize their overall profit. I'm not convinced that most publishers have fully embraced ebooks yet. When and if they do I could see prices change (one way or the other).

That said, I can often buy a physical CD on Amazon for less than I can buy the corresponding MP3s (and the CD purchase often includes the MP3s that I would pay more for on their own), so I'm pretty sure there are aspects of capitalism that I'll never understand.
OddCosine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:42 PM   #56
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
[QUOTE=pdurrant;2497563]I won't buy an ebook at the same or higher price as the (new) print edition. But I won't buy the print edition in that case either, I just pass on the book completely. QUOTE]

This. I can't possibly read all the books I want to the way it is - more keep coming out! I won't even buy an ebook that is a higher price than the paperback edition. The thing that really gets me is when an author's backlist is released at prices higher than or at the same price as paperbacks. Especially the really old ones, that I can pick up used for 25 cents. Or are on the shelf at the library.

It feels strange to read a pbook (and my husband always remarks on it, if he sees it), but I won't hesitate in the above circumstances.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:14 AM   #57
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Ebooks cost less to produce than pbooks I'd think because it's just a matter of formatting and spell checking one copy that is copied each time someone buys that particular title.
And sometimes they skip the speel chicking

and dont wurry about the flooooor

mat
tin
g.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:33 AM   #58
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I'm actually willing to pay more for an ebook than a physical version of a book as the ebook is more conveniant and my preferred format.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:22 AM   #59
RHWright
Addict
RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
It's the device plus the ebook - you need both to do the actual reading. And it's the ebook you're making a decision about (shall I buy it? is it too expensive?). Regardless of how you make use of it (i.e. via a device you already paid for) the ebook has a feature the pbook doesn't and that's worth something to some people. (If it wasn't ereaders wouldn't exist or they'd be an technological curio).

What you're really saying is that the pbook's unique features - lend-ability etc - are worth more to you than the ebook's ones.
Regarding the whole ebook vs. reader thought (not just this comment) and where the value lies:

In the end, without some sort of reader to read the file on, isn't the ebook valueless? So, does that mean ebooks should cost nothing and readers be much, much more expensive?

I don't think so, but that seems to be where this thought leads.

To the main topic, I'm fine with paying the same as the print version if I think that's fair value for the product. Generally, I think the ebook version should at least be 10% less; steeper discounting is better, but they do need to cover costs and make a reasonable profit.

What really perplexes me is the pricing of e-comics. A digital Marvel comic costs $3.99. The physical comic with a digital copy costs ...$3.99. That one just leaves me shaking my head.
RHWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:01 AM   #60
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
With regard to the cost of the e-reader, it gets less as you read more.

Let's say, you buy a new e-reader every two years, each time skipping one generation. The e-reader is a high end model, costing €129, and you read 50 books in one year. After two years, you'll have read 100 books.

These 100 books are made up of bought books, ranging from €2 up to €7, and some freebies and classics from MobileRead, that cost €0. Let's say, the average price that you pay for a book (including the free books costing €0) will be around €3 per book.

As you will replace your reader after reader 100 books, the device will cost you €1.29 per book, taking the average price per book up to €4.29. If you read only free books, the average price per book would have been €1.29.

Only you can decide if the average price per book is worth it to be reading on an e-reader instead of paper. For me, it is, because of the advantages e-readers offer such as being smaller, lighter, more portable, take up less space, have inbuilt light, changeable fonts and font sizes, can edit layout as I like it to be.

Of course, if you sell your reader for €50 after buying a new one, you effectively paid €79 instead of €129 on top of the price of those 100 books. Therefore you'd need to add €0.79 to each book instead of €1.29.

Last edited by Katsunami; 04-30-2013 at 04:43 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote