Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 03-03-2008, 08:16 AM   #61
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
AFAIK, MobiHuff only properly decompresses HuffDic-compressed files. For uncompressed or palm-compressed files, use mobi2html from the MobiPerl tool collection, available in the Content sub-forum.
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:20 AM   #62
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
The MobiHuff script is only for huffdic compressed mobi files, you should try mobi2html.

EDIT: Heh, Gudy was faster ...
IceHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2008, 10:30 AM   #63
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The other option is mobi2oeb. This should explode any DRM-free MOBI file.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:30 AM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
flubu try the official Python from http://www.python.org
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:30 AM   #65
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flubu View Post
I feel like I'm missing something very obvious. Granted, it is monday morning, but still...

I've gotten the python script to work (for some reason, it does not like my XP box but seems quite happy to work under linux) and converted Aroundtheworldin80days.prc from fictionwise. Having said that, I tried to use the python script to decompress to HTML that has been mentioned earlier in this thread and get the following error:

Code:
MobiHuff v0.02
  Copyright (c) 2008 The Dark Reverser <dark.reverser@googlemail.com>
Decompressing...
Error: invalid compression type
Furthermore, if I try ABC Palm Converter (heck, the file has a PRC extension, might as well try), I get gibberish as HTML output.

The end goal I'm trying to achieve here is to convert a DRM mobi file into plain HTML so that I can put it on my sony reader.

What's the missing step here folks?
ABC converters are not good. I've tried some to convert content into PDF and RTF and found that the files generated were just barely usable. For example, the RTF was awful and the only way to fix it was to load it into Word and resave it. PDF there's no hope for. Also, the LIT converter is buggy so that's out. Yes it converts, but it has bugs so the conversion is not all that wonderful. The LRF converter strips out all styles and graphics on conversion. When it first came out I messages the author and asked about that and was told soon and soon has now become never.
Advert
Old 03-04-2008, 01:09 AM   #66
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
tomorrow I just have to try the scripts on my Nokia N800...I have Python 2.5 installed so it should run...I too send many thanks and definitely will be much less reluctant to buy DRM'd mobi ebooks as it was not previously possible to read them in Fbreader.

So, well, I guess my book budget is shot to heck now too...great...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:38 AM   #67
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Quote:
Code:
D:\temp>python mobydedrm.py Aroundtheworldin80days.prc test.prc *******$**
MobiDeDrm v0.02. Copyright (c) 2008 The Dark Reverser
Decrypting. Please wait...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "mobydedrm.py", line 176, in <module>
    file(outfile, 'wb').write(DrmStripper(data_file, pid).getResult())
  File "mobydedrm.py", line 159, in __init__
    extra_size = getSizeOfTrailingDataEntries(data, len(data), extra_data_flags)

File "mobydedrm.py", line 74, in getSizeOfTrailingDataEntries
    num += getSizeOfTrailingDataEntry(ptr, size - num)
  File "mobydedrm.py", line 64, in getSizeOfTrailingDataEntry
    v = ord(ptr[size-1])
IndexError: string index out of range
I'm having errors running the script. I have activestate python on XP and I'm trying to liberate the free Around the world in 80 days from fictionwise. The PID I have is from my laptop installation of mobipocket reader. Could it be problematic that it contains a $, which could be badly expanded as a variable at some point?
I could not wait and tried to run the script on both the N800 as well as my XPP-PC. Both running Python 2.5. I get the same error in both:

Quote:

C:\>c:\python25\python c:\drm\mobidedrm.py c:\drm\book1.prc c:\drm\book1-open.prc XXXXXXXXXX
MobiDeDrm v0.02. Copyright (c) 2008 The Dark Reverser
Decrypting. Please wait...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "c:\drm\mobidedrm.py", line 176, in <module>
file(outfile, 'wb').write(DrmStripper(data_file, pid).getResult())
File "c:\drm\mobidedrm.py", line 159, in __init__
extra_size = getSizeOfTrailingDataEntries(data, len(data), extra_data_flags)
File "c:\drm\mobidedrm.py", line 74, in getSizeOfTrailingDataEntries
num += getSizeOfTrailingDataEntry(ptr, size - num)
File "c:\drm\mobidedrm.py", line 64, in getSizeOfTrailingDataEntry
v = ord(ptr[size-1])
IndexError: string index out of range
So it's not my system. I can say this file contains two books. But I am unsure if that really matters.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:50 AM   #68
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

There's a bug in v.0.02 of MobiDeDrm that will cause it to fail on some files. Try version 0.01.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:38 AM   #69
Tulkas
Enthusiast
Tulkas began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad, CyBook Gen3, iPod Touch, PB 360
-deleted, found solution-

Last edited by Tulkas; 03-04-2008 at 08:42 AM.
Tulkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:17 PM   #70
brecklundin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHand View Post
There's a bug in v.0.02 of MobiDeDrm that will cause it to fail on some files. Try version 0.01.
thanks Ice, will give it a fast try. It was cool that it failed on my systems in the same fashion on both the N800 tablet running ITOS2008. Off to d/l v0.01...
Old 03-04-2008, 12:18 PM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

best idea is to keep both .01 and .02 just in case.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:20 PM   #72
brecklundin
Banned

yup, got them both as well as all three versions of HuffDiff.

v0.01 did the trick and I now can read my secure mobi books on my N800 tablet...super job folks!! thanks a bunch as using the tablet as an ebook reader is one of the two primary functions of the device for me.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:48 PM   #73
IceHand
Linux User

Glad that it worked out.

By the way instead of HuffDiff you should take a look at mobi2oeb, if you haven't done so already.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:15 PM   #74
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
I feel like I'm missing something very obvious. Granted, it is monday morning, but still...

I've gotten the python script to work (for some reason, it does not like my XP box but seems quite happy to work under linux) and converted Aroundtheworldin80days.prc from fictionwise. Having said that, I tried to use the python script to decompress to HTML that has been mentioned earlier in this thread and get the following error:

Code:
MobiHuff v0.02
  Copyright (c) 2008 The Dark Reverser <dark.reverser@googlemail.com>
Decompressing...
Error: invalid compression type
Furthermore, if I try ABC Palm Converter (heck, the file has a PRC extension, might as well try), I get gibberish as HTML output.

The end goal I'm trying to achieve here is to convert a DRM mobi file into plain HTML so that I can put it on my sony reader.

What's the missing step here folks?
Certain PRC creation applications can be converted easily with ABC Palm Converter while others will result in a mish-marsh. Almost all of the PRC files that I have converted with the free ABC Palm Converter have worked fine.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:07 PM   #75
brecklundin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHand View Post
Glad that it worked out.

By the way instead of HuffDiff you should take a look at mobi2oeb, if you haven't done so already.
Outstanding!! Thanks for the link!

Tags
conversion, drm, formatting, mobipocket