Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 08-03-2011, 12:25 AM   #1
danchalk
danchalk began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
eBook that allows entry of data

Hi,
I am new to eBooks but I am interested in taking many of the booklets we usually print and distribute into electronic form. I was wondering however,in our booklets we have pages where people can write information down, take notes, and towards the end answer questions.

I was wondering is there a way to include this in eBooks e.g., if I use a work book for example. You would have pages of information on the topic then an assessment section where the person would need to answer questions. It would be nice if we could also use that the generate reports but that is probably not as important.

Is this at all possible easily or should I be looking into different technologies?

Regards,
Dan
danchalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:52 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I believe this depends more on whether or not the reading device supports notetaking for that specific format than on anything you'd have to include in the book. I know that PDF has the ability to include forms, but PDF isn't an ebook format and is, at best, badly supported by most current ereading platforms.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2011, 03:58 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You probably need to be looking at something like an app for this, rather than an eBook.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:09 PM   #4
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
PDF has forms that you can fill out, yes. But technically speaking, ePub and Mobi should be able to use such features (it's HTML basically) and affect the content of the book. But I don't think it's implemented just yet...

Would be cool, tho. Sort of "smart" books that can tell what you're into, children's books that let you name that character(s) any way you'd like, change the order of events based on answers, ask you a few questions about a subject (if it's a textbook) and if you answer incorrectly it just points you to further notes, etc.

But right now they've got bigger issues, haven't you heard? Like audio and video. In books. So, yeah...
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:15 AM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpider View Post
But technically speaking, ePub and Mobi should be able to use such features (it's HTML basically) and affect the content of the book. But I don't think it's implemented just yet...
The current ePub specification does not require XHTML forms, a book could have them, but no reader is required to support them.

Mobipocket, apparently, has some kind of script and form support.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert