Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-18-2009, 10:27 AM   #1
yagiz
http://is.gd/4flJX
yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone 3G
Soldiers put eBook readers at top of their Christmas list

Soldiers put eBook readers at top of their Christmas list

Quote:
... sources within the British Army have stated that eBook readers are the most popular festive request from soldiers.

With troops already carrying back-breaking loads and with limited space for peronal effects in their duffel bags, space-saving readers such as the Sony PRS-505, iRex Iliad, and even imported Kindles are becoming popular amongst the troops stationed in the Helmand province. The eBooks are helping to boost morale during their tours, which can last up to eight months.
yagiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:11 PM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Naturally! It's great for travelers and soldiers are travelers. I'd say it's a perfect gift
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:05 PM   #3
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Sounds like a PocketPro, solar charger, and a few memory cards loaded with books would make an excellent gift. (Hmm. "Ebooks for Soldiers" might be a good pitch to point out the flaws in the "ebooks are not transferable" claims. Soldiers may not have access to online bookstores and may not be able to use gift cards.)

I have no idea how much access most soldiers have to computers or internet. Electricity for charging is likely available, but a solar charger would bypass that need.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:36 PM   #4
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I have no idea how much access most soldiers have to computers or internet. Electricity for charging is likely available, but a solar charger would bypass that need.

I can't speak for British soldiers, but my brother just shipped out to Iraq and he has pretty regular access to both internet and electricity. He had much more limited access during training while on base in the States.

However, I tried to give him an ereader before he left, and he turned me down saying it wasn't as portable as a small paperback (he can't fit any of the ereaders into the calf pocket on his uniform pants), and he was afraid of getting sand into it or cracking the screen during travel. So there went my idea for the perfect going-away gift! And I was all excited about sending books overseas on an SD card or via email...
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:37 PM   #5
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
My Sony was a life saver. While deployed you have a limited amount of space to store stuff in and books take up space that is needed for other items....
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:06 PM   #6
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Not to disrespect ebook readers, but if *I* were a soldier stationed in The Sandbox, I'd top my list with a wish for me and my fellow soldiers be able to come HOME by Christmas!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:33 PM   #7
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Not to disrespect ebook readers, but if *I* were a soldier stationed in The Sandbox, I'd top my list with a wish for me and my fellow soldiers be able to come HOME by Christmas!

Derek

Well of course. In a perfect world, that goes without saying, but if they can't be home, making them as happy and comfortable as possible while they're away is a real good second choice.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:56 PM   #8
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
he turned me down saying it wasn't as portable as a small paperback (he can't fit any of the ereaders into the calf pocket on his uniform pants), and he was afraid of getting sand into it or cracking the screen...
The new 5" readers are small enough, I think, and lightweight metal cases are available, or could be found to fit them. The PocketPro & Opus have card readers; the Sony PRS-300 strikes me as almost entirely useless for travelers with potentially limited internet access.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:20 PM   #9
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Many in Iraq will be, but Afghanistan is staying active.

My girlfriend's uncle came in for a 2 week visit at his 6 month mark of his year tour in Iraq, and he loaded his laptop up with music, movies, and books. Places like iTunes loved him then.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:06 PM   #10
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
...cracking the screen...
That was my first thought.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:07 PM   #11
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
That was my first thought.
mine too...coooooome-ooooon Plastic Logic!!
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote