Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-04-2013, 02:46 AM   #16
peter12345
Connoisseur
peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 * K3 with 3G, Sony PRS-T1
I am waiting for the Paper-white 2nd generation. As I already have 2 Kindle 3 and a Sony Reader.

I have the Kindle 3 with the official light and it is not that bright, awkward and will lower the overall (battery) life of the K3.

For night time I prefer the delicious

Daffodil ULT180W USB LED Lamp with 18 Bright LED Bulbs, Magnifying Glass and Flexible Gooseneck / Plugs into Your PC or Mac's USB to Light-up its Keyboard and Screen/ Dual Powered: No Batteries Needed While Connected to USB and Can Also Be Powered by 3 x AAA Batteries (Not Included).

cost is £4-15

at http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0069DKTT4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Which uses a very strong white light that is a pleasure to read.
peter12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:35 AM   #17
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
My main stalling point is collections. I have a K3, and use the Calibre Kindle Collections plugin extensively when loading my books on the K3. I think I have to jailbreak the PW to use a collections manager... is this the right jailbreak for that? and will the standard Kindle Collections Plugin work, or is there something different I have to do to automate my kindle collections?
Yes, that's the correct jailbreak, and yes, the standard Kindle Collections plugin for calibre does work, although it's recommended to use the "Touch friendly" one by NiLuJe (linked from the CM thread) - it better supports the Touch and PW way of managing collections.

Quote:
What else will the jailbreak allow me to do? What are the risks of jailbreaking? I've never done something like that before, and am very nervous about trying it and turning my nice new PW into a brick if I do something wrong.
Take a look around in the dev corner. There are various (though ATM, not terribly many yet) hacks available for the PW - but if you're happy with the device as it is, nobody forces you to install any of them

If you're only using "prepared" and tested hacks, or follow well-tested instructions, then the risk of jailbreaking is essentially nonexistent.

Of course, it *allows* you to shoot yourself in the foot, for instance by installing usbnetwork and then a) randomly modifying files on the internal partitions, or b) running commands that you don't understand. But you have to actively get the pumpgun, aim at your foot and pull the trigger. Unless you do that, you're on the safe side.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #18
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
just out of curiosity, what does installing usbnetwork do?
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #19
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
just out of curiosity, what does installing usbnetwork do?
In short, it enables you to connect to the Kindle as a "networked computer" and gives you command-line access to the underlying system. In fact, the Kindle is nothing more than a device running Linux - and by connecting to it like that, you can essentially do everything. Pretty much all of the existing hacks (including the current jailbreak itself) are "explored" and developed using this method. But as said, because you have complete control over the device, this is also the best way to brick it if you aren't careful.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:15 PM   #20
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
ok, cool, but *way* beyond my competency level.

I think I'll stick with the collections manager. <g>
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:09 AM   #21
peter12345
Connoisseur
peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 * K3 with 3G, Sony PRS-T1
Red face

Quote:
ok, cool, but *way* beyond my competency level.

I think I'll stick with the collections manager. <g>
I admit I have played with Ubuntu Command lines a little, but when u connect a Kindle to it - it is a different thing, as the Kindle has a price tag which Ubuntu does not.
peter12345 is offline   Reply With Quote