Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-20-2012, 06:57 PM   #1
GraciousMe
Zealot
GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Question To commission a cover

I am more or less finished with a book and realize that even if I can construct an epub book I am weak when it comes to graphics.

So I am thinking of commissioning a cover.

Anybody here has experience with this? Any tips? I am thinking of asking several friends who are graphic designers, to have more than one option.

BTW I already have a good photo for the cover, it is the rest I need help with.
GraciousMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
aecardenas
Kafkaesque
aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Try DeviantART. There's a ton of talented artists who are interested in showcasing their talents in a variety of ways, including a book cover commission.

http://forum.deviantart.com/jobs/offers/
aecardenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:18 PM   #3
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
You can also try over at NaNoWriMo in their forums. There are some talented people there who offer to make covers for others writing projects as well.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:05 PM   #4
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Depending on what you are looking for, I might be able to do what you need if you already have the image and just need standard titling and appropriate sizing. wouldn't want to claim I would/could do anything fancy like actual artwork, but I did the ones on my titles at Amazon using public domain images. I won't claim to be an graphic artist because I haven't done much of that in a long time, have been more in the creative/fine arts area lately.

Last edited by kennyc; 05-20-2012 at 10:18 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:45 PM   #5
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I use Paint.net or Pixlr, and I'm able to design covers fairly easily with those resources. If you already have the photo you want to work with, Pixlr (or PicMonkey) will work very well for you--you can edit the picture, add filter effects, overlay font, etc. An important key is to size the image right at 800x600 (HxW) and if the picture or cover is white, add a small, 2 pixel border around the edge in black (or dark blue).
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:48 AM   #6
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
You need to decide if you want something assembled or something created from scratch. There are great stock photo sites that offer a very large quantity of images of all levels of quality and cost. You can simply pick a few images, and combine them to create the scene you want. If that is the route you want to go then almost anyone can help you with that.

If you want something truly original, just for your... then as mentioned check out DeviantART and hire one of them.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:03 PM   #7
Todd Young
Addict
Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
You can find an artist on the yellow pages at KindleBoards:

http://www.kindleboards.com/index.ph...html#msg868939
Todd Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:29 PM   #8
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
You need to decide if you want something assembled or something created from scratch. There are great stock photo sites that offer a very large quantity of images of all levels of quality and cost. You can simply pick a few images, and combine them to create the scene you want. If that is the route you want to go then almost anyone can help you with that.

If you want something truly original, just for your... then as mentioned check out DeviantART and hire one of them.
And you may as said before be able to find someone over at NaNoWriMo as at least one person I know of that takes part in NaNo also has a DeviantArt account. I know because they made a cover for me for the piece I tried to get written for last Nov.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:05 PM   #9
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by aecardenas View Post
Try DeviantART. There's a ton of talented artists who are interested in showcasing their talents in a variety of ways, including a book cover commission.

http://forum.deviantart.com/jobs/offers/
I hang out on dA for more than just the odd cover. I tend to get plot bunnies out of peoples' artwork. The good kind of bunnies, mind you.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:08 PM   #10
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
I hang out on dA for more than just the odd cover. I tend to get plot bunnies out of peoples' artwork. The good kind of bunnies, mind you.
Never heard of plot bunnies...I like it though. What does this one do for you:

http://kennyc.deviantart.com/art/Sun...ower-171141923

Old 05-25-2012, 08:38 PM   #11
hatefacecore
hatefacecore began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I used ELance to help me find an artist. It's a fairly simple process. Artists kinda compete for your attention by showing you their portfolio's and you choose the best one for the job.
hatefacecore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:58 AM   #12
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Never heard of plot bunnies...I like it though. What does this one do for you:

http://kennyc.deviantart.com/art/Sun...ower-171141923
Did you do that yourself? It's stunning!

I've been trying to use Photoshop Elements to design my book cover, but am finding a significant number of limitations with the product (can't seem to just paint with brushes, can't do a dithered wide border etc.).

Has anyone had experience of Adobe Creative Suite? I'm considering upgrading to this, but does it allow more artistic freedom? I want something more than just a photo editor.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:06 AM   #13
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Did you do that yourself? It's stunning!

I've been trying to use Photoshop Elements to design my book cover, but am finding a significant number of limitations with the product (can't seem to just paint with brushes, can't do a dithered wide border etc.).

Has anyone had experience of Adobe Creative Suite? I'm considering upgrading to this, but does it allow more artistic freedom? I want something more than just a photo editor.
Yep. (Corel) Painter. From a photo I took East of Denver.

Painter is a "natural media" type of painting app as opposed to photoshop which can do the same thing but is a bit more work to get there. There is a free trial of Painter if you want to check it out. I don't have Creative Suite, I do have the (almost) latest Photoshop and use it for my photography, but use Painter for my creative/fine art work.

Last edited by kennyc; 05-26-2012 at 07:31 AM.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:40 AM   #14
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Yep. (Corel) Painter. From a photo I took East of Denver.

Painter is a "natural media" type of painting app as opposed to photoshop which can do the same thing but is a bit more work to get there. There is a free trial of Painter you want to check it out. I don't have Creative Suite, I do have the (almost) latest Photoshop and us it for my photography, but use Painter for my creative/fine art work.
Thanks (won't let me give you any more karma at the mo...), I'll have a look at Painter .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:26 AM   #15
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I love the full Photoshop CS line... but I am very good with editing photos, and building scences from others work. I am not a painter... so can not speak to creating work in it. Also as a student, it costs me WAY less then what it would cost most ppl to buy. I think it was around $150 for CS5.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote