Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-05-2011, 08:40 AM   #1
Ditchleyportrait
Fanatic
Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Amazon Kindle's BEST features

1. Toggling back and forth between chapters or book parts through joystick/dpad (far as i know, I have dx, not k3)

2. Unlimited 3G/Kindle Store/60 sec. books

3. SAMPLES!!! Strapped for cash. No problem. Snag a sample to tied you over.

Feel free to provide more features that make the kindle such a winning product.

Ditchleyportrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:44 AM   #2
Gort
Enthusiast
Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Read for a long time without eye strain.

Long battery life.

Easy searching.

Free Internet access via browser is at hand when needed.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2011, 08:55 AM   #3
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
I'm not sure what we're meant to be comparing it with. If with other ereaders, then I can't because my K3 is my first and so far only one. My only comparison is with dt books.
Easy to hold for reading in bed.

Small, lightweight and portable (fits in my handbag).

Stays open when I want.

Contains a library for my frequent travels.

Low tech (from the POV of the user) so very little to learn in order to operate it.

Tied to my Amazon account (where I have bought majority of my books for ages).
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:26 AM   #4
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
- totally FREE email conversion of non-natively supported formats

- zero need to install any software

- excellent battery life
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:28 AM   #5
Ditchleyportrait
Fanatic
Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Right, yeah, I just meant in general, I suppose. I'd rather not get into the shortcomings of the other readers by hilighting what kindle has over them.

Battery life and the low tech aspect I hadn't considered. It's certainly idiot-proof and most importantly stable. You're not worried about if the thing starts flagging on you because for the most part it won't and you can get a battery replacement down the line.

I forgot that. The fact that amazon offers batteries for kindle is important because I don't want to buy a whole new unit down the line, that being if everything else keeps going.
Advert
Old 07-05-2011, 09:47 AM   #6
Ditchleyportrait
Fanatic

looks like a misused a tag and there's a thread that talks about features better in the general discussion section. ah well.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:27 AM   #7
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Relatively low priced.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:27 PM   #8
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
- Cheap Device and Books
- Runs Linux
- Great customer service
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:08 PM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
  • low price
  • long battery life
  • audio player
  • speakers
  • black case
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:22 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Kindle has a lot of good features, but I don't use a lot of them. For me...

I like the chapter marks in the progress bar

I like being able to download books from various sources using the browser

But what I'd call its best feature is that it 'Just Works'.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:33 PM   #11
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DX, Galaxy Tab 2
No software needed
Plays well with Linux
Very easy to use
Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:04 PM   #12
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Affordable

Attractive

Easy to use

My favorite feature-the ability to email books over the wifi.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:52 PM   #13
EbookLover155
EbookLover155 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.EbookLover155 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.EbookLover155 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.EbookLover155 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.EbookLover155 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.EbookLover155 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.EbookLover155 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.EbookLover155 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.EbookLover155 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.EbookLover155 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.EbookLover155 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: none
1. Long battery life, perfect if your like me and keep forgeting to charge it.
2. Lightweight and small, great to carry around in a case or my pocket or my handbag.
3. 3G Download, so easy to get any book you suddenly crave to read!
4. All the cute little accesories and covers/cases you can get with it, collect em all.
EbookLover155 is offline   Reply With Quote