Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-17-2012, 05:50 AM   #1
briefer666
briefer666 began at the beginning.

Device: KT
Question Reinstalling firmware 5.1.0 on a 5.1.0 KT?

Hi,

I have a problem with the custom screensavers in my KT 5.1.0. Until now I have been able to run the jailbreak, remove ADs, install SSH, launcher and several utilities, but the Custom Screensaver does not work for me.

I would like to start from scratch, and I did already run the Factory Restore on the KT, but after the restore, not even the original screensaver works!

Now my questions.
  • Is there a way to reinstall the 5.1.0 firmware on an already upgraded 5.1.0 KT?
  • Or is there something that I can do from SSH to fix the screensavers problem?
  • Does someone have a copy of the original screensaver images? (just in case I am using wrong image types)

Thank you in advance
briefer666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:34 AM   #2
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by briefer666 View Post
the Custom Screensaver does not work for me.
"custom screensaver hack" does not work on 5.1.0. instead try "simple screensaver hack"
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2012, 06:59 AM   #3
briefer666

I tried both. Also the SSModeSwitcher.

I also verified that the files in the folders

/mnt/base-us/screensaver
/usr/share/blanket/screensaver

are the same
Old 05-17-2012, 07:09 AM   #4
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I tried both.
just to make sure: if your kindle has SO, then you should remove the ads.

simple screensaver hack "should" be fine. make sure that you renamed the images in a correct form. you can find the hack file and some tips here. ( Personally I'm OK with the default screensavers hence didn't try)
Old 05-17-2012, 09:09 AM   #5
briefer666

ADs are removed. I installed the Toggle ADs script in the launched and disabled them

I have run a simple test. Running the SSModeSwitcher script with the lock screen option, and restarting, seems to work fine from the SSH:

root@192.168.15.244's password:
#################################################
# N O T I C E * N O T I C E * N O T I C E #
Rootfs is mounted read-only. Invoke mntroot rw to
switch back to a writable rootfs.
[root@kindle root]# cd /usr/share/blanket/screensaver
[root@kindle screensaver]# ls
lockscreen.png

But the lock screen does not work

Maybe the Toggle ADs is not really working?
Advert
Old 05-17-2012, 09:50 AM   #6
thomass
Wizard

[QUOTE=briefer666;2084096]But the lock screen does not work /QUOTE]
And it shouldn't. if you want to use lockscreen.png with the simple screensaver, you should rename it.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:05 PM   #7
briefer666

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
And it shouldn't. if you want to use lockscreen.png with the simple screensaver, you should rename it.
Renamed to bg_xsmall_ss00.png. Nothing.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:44 PM   #8
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Renamed to bg_xsmall_ss00.png. Nothing.
I'll try to fix SSModeSwitcher when I have enough time.