Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you now feel about your Sony Reader?
Love it even more than when I bought it! 48 44.86%
Just as great as the day I got it! 33 30.84%
Like it and I use it a lot! 17 15.89%
It's nice, but I don't use it much anymore 5 4.67%
Stupid device. I wish I'd never bought it. 4 3.74%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2007, 09:41 AM   #16
airlik
Connoisseur
airlik began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I recently went on vacation with it. Vacationing with my wife, I never know how many books to bring... when I used to travel alone, the only reading I did was just before sleep and "en route" (trains, planes). She's a beach bunny, and if the weather is good I could spend all of the "her choice" time sitting on the beach - how dull. So packing has become harder - do I bring one book, or 10? This time I brought almost 200; went through maybe 7 of them. Finish a book while at the beach? No problem - go to the menu and choose another.

Just... awesome.
airlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 09:47 AM   #17
JHeavner
JHeavner began at the beginning.

I don't regret my purchase at all. I have noticed that while the contrast is good it's not as good as reading a high quality hard back, which accounted for most of my previous reading. I'm finding I need a book light in areas where I didn't before. Definitely one of the best travel gadgets ever.
JHeavner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2007, 09:48 AM   #18
big_stan
big_stan began at the beginning.

I ordered mine the day it became available, and have loved every moment. I haven't read a single paper book since I've gotten it. My brother actually gave me a paper book for my birthday (Grant's Memoirs), which I actually did want to read. The first thing I did was check manybooks.net, and sure enough it was there and perfectly formated for the Reader! Nice!

I've also purchases probably 6-10 books from Sony, and have been generally very happy with them (art/drawings/maps could be better though).

As far as I'm concerned nothing else has come even close to competing with the Sony for somebody who is a book reader (as opposed to somebody who wants to look at 8x11 or A4 formatted pdf's). Nearly instant on and it goes weeks without recharging! Without those two items, I would use the device far less. As it is now, I can pick it up, read a page or two and put it back down. If I had to wait 1-2 minutes for the book to boot, I obviously would pick it up in the first place.

The only thing the Reader really needs at this point is the ability to deal with nested directories on the memory card. I do use groups for stuff I keep on the internal memory, but it's just not enough. Right now I only have 20-30 books on the Reader because any more and it's a total pain to find the book you want.
big_stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 10:06 AM   #19
markiehill
Connoisseur
markiehill doesn't littermarkiehill doesn't litter

i have just swapped from the Iliad to the Sony Reader and will never look back, sure it has a few quirks but it is a much more useable device than the Iliad (for my needs).

Love it

Mark
markiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 12:20 PM   #20
phyzjqk
Connoisseur
phyzjqk is a jewel in the roughphyzjqk is a jewel in the roughphyzjqk is a jewel in the roughphyzjqk is a jewel in the roughphyzjqk is a jewel in the roughphyzjqk is a jewel in the roughphyzjqk is a jewel in the roughphyzjqk is a jewel in the roughphyzjqk is a jewel in the roughphyzjqk is a jewel in the roughphyzjqk is a jewel in the rough

Device: Boox Max2/SP4:Dell x50v /Iliad /Nokia:
I found sony ebook is very stupid. The resolution and the contrast are weak. And the funciton is not versatile. I still keep my iliad in hand. In my hand, it is not just a book, is a notebook either.
phyzjqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2007, 12:32 PM   #21
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I'm glad that the iLiad works for what you need, phyzjqk -- the best possible scenario is that each of us gets what works best for him. We're all different folks so that's just not all going to be the same device for everyone.

Anyway, the important bit is that what you have works for what you need.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 12:50 PM   #22
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
I haven't read a paper book since some time in October ... 'nuff said.
Ditto. Problem is, there are some books I can't get in e-format. I keep wanting them & have bought some as pbooks but can't force myself to open them.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 01:12 PM   #23
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, I've experienced that unfortunate side-effect, myself, slayda.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:20 PM   #24
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Some book I'll wait for when they come in ebook form. In the mean time there is no urgency and I have plenty to read.

Last edited by yvanleterrible; 02-16-2007 at 01:30 PM.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 02:03 PM   #25
Turtle Woman
Enthusiast
Turtle Woman began at the beginning.

Yup, love it more every day. At first it felt like I wasn't really reading a book so I had a little of that "nothing can match the feel of a real book" syndrome. But now that I have my leather cover and I'm used to reading on The Reader, I'm entirely converted. Instead of having a whole pile of books on my nightstand I have one slim volume. Instead of trying to stuff several books in my purse or suitcase for travel, I just have The Reader and never have to worry about running out of something to read at 10:00 PM in an unfamiliar town.

Sony needs to pay us for these testimonials!
Turtle Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 02:56 PM   #26
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
I have not bought a paper book or read one since I got it. Nor do I like the idea of doing so. I still read magazines as most of those are scientific where they are either not available or require illustrations that the reader does not do well with.

Time to go eat lunch and finish a BAEN book while eating! <g>

Quote:
Some book I'll wait for when they come in ebook form. In the mean time there is no urgency and I have plenty to read.
Indeed. I wanted the new Lincoln Child "Deep Storm" which took several weeks or more but did show up on the Connect Store, where it went to #1 immediately. Maybe Sony will learn something by watching this sort of thing. Real fans may buy the paper book unless it is available right away....

Last edited by CCDMan; 02-16-2007 at 03:59 PM.
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 01:59 AM   #27
memobug
Connoisseur
memobug began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500/PRS-505/Kindle DX/iPhone 3G
I've been happy with it, although I've avoided CONNECT altogether.

My major gripe is the page turn buttons are not very ergonomic. The placement is not very good, and the small forward/back arrows is are unfriendly. I've adapted to that, using mostly the large thumb rocker, but if there were some flick-switch in the upper right corner you could thumb with a forefinger, as if you're turning pages, it would be much better.

I also wish the device weren't so locked into proprietary format content, but that's Sony's business model.

Regards,

Matt
memobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 10:41 AM   #28
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Quote:
My major gripe is the page turn buttons are not very ergonomic. The placement is not very good, and the small forward/back arrows is are unfriendly. I've adapted to that, using mostly the large thumb rocker, but if there were some flick-switch in the upper right corner you could thumb with a forefinger, as if you're turning pages, it would be much better
Yes, I would have to agree with that for sure. I still like the Reader but that is not the best positioning for a page button(s). Maybe the Japanese way of reading affected this? Dunno. I tend to hold it however I want and poke the rocker with my other hand as needed.

Hmm, how about a voice activated page turn as an option? Not great for in public but I would bet at least half of reading is not done in public....

Last edited by CCDMan; 02-17-2007 at 10:45 AM.
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 12:24 PM   #29
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by memobug
I also wish the device weren't so locked into proprietary format content, but that's Sony's business model.
Heh, as long as they also support RTF They can support whatever other goofy formats they like, as far as I'm concerned.
Old 02-17-2007, 12:30 PM   #30
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Heh, as long as they also support RTF They can support whatever other goofy formats they like, as far as I'm concerned.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote