Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Fed up with the bugs not fed up!
Fed up with the bugs! 30 32.97%
Neutral no opinion or no comment 21 23.08%
Not fed up it works great for all things! 40 43.96%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-09-2013, 07:44 PM   #46
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2
Fed up here. They can't handle lots of books on the SD card. I was convinced it was my books fault but nope. After I figured out the problem with my Sony, I realized it was kobo's problem. As I have all 5690 books on my Sony with no problems.
Bittybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:25 PM   #47
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I'm thinking of getting a Kobo and I loved my Paperwhite. Can you tell me what you love about Kobo please?
Here are my thoughts on the PW1 and the Kobo

Comparison: Kindle Paperwhite vs Kobo Glo

Kobo - faster processor 1000mz (Paperwhite 800mz)

Kobo - takes micro SD card - so holds more books

Kobo - lighter weight 185g (Paperwhite 221g)

Kobo - longer battery life (so they say) 55 hours vs 28 hours (according to http://readerrocket.com/)

Kobo - light is more uniform (at least on mine) (Paperwhite light is a bit blotchy)

Kobo - text display MUCH more customizable (margins, line spacing, fonts, font size, adding custom fonts)

Using Calibre to manage collections, easy to do with Kobo without rooting, can’t be done on Paperwhite without rooting.

Text color is darker and a little sharper on the paperwhite (but I am using a custom font on both).

Screen saver - Paperwhite must be jailbreaked and ad free, Kobo can use generic or last opened book cover, no rooting necessary.

Winner - Kobo

Last edited by booklover6; 09-09-2013 at 08:28 PM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2013, 02:53 AM   #48
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Please can you expand on this? I don't think I've noticed extra problems since I applied the Kobo Patcher. Am I missing something?

The only problem I do still see is when the last line of a chapter is occasionally forced to a new page when there appears to be easily enough room on the previous page. But since I also got that before applying the Patch I don't see how the Patch would be responsible.
Someone reported that using the long paragraph patch broke other smart paging. I tested it briefly and from memory it broke widows and orphans. While that wouldn't worry a lot of people, I suspect that some other times there should have been a new page/screen, there wasn't.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:37 AM   #49
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
As someone contemplating a Kobo for the first time (the Aura) this thread is a tad worrying.

I plan to side load all books, which would be normal epubs, unless i can work out the Calibre epub to kpub plug in, and can therefore keep wifi off quite a lot.

Does anyone think I'd encounter issues with that? I know until people get their hands on the Aura we won't know for sure what the softwares like but I was just wondering what the general concensus would be?

I'm used to a Kindle so not sure I can handle buggy software.

Last edited by Josieb1; 09-10-2013 at 04:40 AM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:08 AM   #50
glos
Zealot
glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I don't know about the Aura of course, but with my HD i do that (sideload books via calibre). I sideload them as Kepub because I like the advanced features and also create shelves via calibre, it took me 15minutes (seriously) to find, understand and set up the plugin to do that
I have not used the wifi once yet (i don't want kobo to force firmware updates, and I don't need it on anyway).
I only keep around 400 books or so though, my calibre library has 3000+ but I don't want it there, it'd be confusing, the shelves I create are specific to various reading lists I maintain on calibre (with reading list plugin). I have read of many saying that the reader becomes slow in showing and opening shelves once you have a large number of them (shelves, seems unrelated to the number of books?) but I can't confirm as I only keep 5! Also read of problems (being slow, again) with a large number of books on the SD card.

Last edited by glos; 09-10-2013 at 05:12 AM.
glos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2013, 05:16 AM   #51
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Glos, that's my plan as well, if the Aura's software is stable and good enough I won't have any need for updates, plus I buy my books from DRM free independent free publishers so I have no plans to buy anything from Kobo.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:31 AM   #52
glos
Zealot
glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Same here (I don't buy books frequently, never used Kobo books).
Ah the reader did update itself when I used its pc/mac app to set it up the first day (creating my account), but I am glad that fw (2.6.1) is perfectly ok and stable (at least, for me). I didn't connect it again to have the 2.8 as I'm fine with this one, but I suppose that the first time you set it up, (hypothetically), either using wifi or connected to your pc, it will upgrade (unless it's already with the latest fw).
glos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:19 AM   #53
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
As someone contemplating a Kobo for the first time (the Aura) this thread is a tad worrying.

I plan to side load all books, which would be normal epubs, unless i can work out the Calibre epub to kpub plug in, and can therefore keep wifi off quite a lot.

Does anyone think I'd encounter issues with that? I know until people get their hands on the Aura we won't know for sure what the softwares like but I was just wondering what the general concensus would be?

I'm used to a Kindle so not sure I can handle buggy software.
I side load all of mine and never turn on wifi. I have 1500 on mine, a mix of epubs and kepubs. In general, the only problems I have are the ones I cause I recommend the Kobo Aura, as I plan to get one, too!
Old 09-10-2013, 07:07 AM   #54
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittybye View Post
Fed up here. They can't handle lots of books on the SD card. I was convinced it was my books fault but nope. After I figured out the problem with my Sony, I realized it was kobo's problem. As I have all 5690 books on my Sony with no problems.
Actually the kobo can handle a potential of 30k books on a 32 gig sd card. But since they tweaked their firmware they have broken it by causing a huge lag in boot time. I have 4500+ books and have no issues reading the books except for the current 10 min boot time give or take when I power off with the sd card. This bug in boot time is unacceptable at any level. When I first started out I had no issues with boot time until as the firmware numbers got bigger the delay in boot time with an sd card increased dramatically.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:24 AM   #55
VirgoGirl
"Why is it doing *that*?"
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Kobo Touch & Glo, responsible for 2 PaperWhites
As someone who is facing yet ANOTHER firmware install - this one a roll back to 2.4, if that doesn't work, back to 2.1.5 and make shelves without the card installed - I voted for the first option. I am tired of bugs.

I just want something that will let me add 3 ebooks without going processing for 20 minutes, then saying "You have no ebooks on your reader", despite the fact that I have 1,200 on it (which is what happened last night, again). I want stability.

My birthday is on Thursday, mys husband is asking if I want a Kindle Paperwhite or an Amazon gift certificate. He's pushing for the Paperwhite, and though I've been saying I'd rather have the gift certificate, I'm leaning more and more to the Paperwhite - which tells you something as I hate that it doesn't have an sd card ability.
VirgoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:17 AM   #56
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirgoGirl View Post
As someone who is facing yet ANOTHER firmware install - this one a roll back to 2.4, if that doesn't work, back to 2.1.5 and make shelves without the card installed - I voted for the first option. I am tired of bugs.

I just want something that will let me add 3 ebooks without going processing for 20 minutes, then saying "You have no ebooks on your reader", despite the fact that I have 1,200 on it (which is what happened last night, again). I want stability.

My birthday is on Thursday, mys husband is asking if I want a Kindle Paperwhite or an Amazon gift certificate. He's pushing for the Paperwhite, and though I've been saying I'd rather have the gift certificate, I'm leaning more and more to the Paperwhite - which tells you something as I hate that it doesn't have an sd card ability.
I can highly recommend a Paperwhite. If you can convert your epubs to mobi you can email a few hundred at least to your Kindle and they will appear via wifi onto your Kindle. I can accept that's not perfect for you but at least you could read your new books on it while you get your kobo sorted out. Then you'll always have the two devices to work with.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:21 AM   #57
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Am I right on thinking a lot of bugs are SD Card related?
Old 09-10-2013, 10:26 AM   #58
VirgoGirl
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I can highly recommend a Paperwhite. If you can convert your epubs to mobi you can email a few hundred at least to your Kindle and they will appear via wifi onto your Kindle. I can accept that's not perfect for you but at least you could read your new books on it while you get your kobo sorted out. Then you'll always have the two devices to work with.
I can email to a Kindle???

I'm PMing you with some further questions, I don't want to hijack this thread.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:31 AM   #59
VirgoGirl

Regarding sd cards - you may be right, but what REALLY annoys me is that when the Kobo Touch came out, that was one of it's selling features - "expand your memory with an SD card!". Now it seems like they are trying to get away from that feature, either deliberately (one Kobo doesn't have a slot), or through bad firmware which makes using the card a nightmare.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:54 AM   #60
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirgoGirl View Post
I can email to a Kindle???

I'm PMing you with some further questions, I don't want to hijack this thread.
Yes you can email books to a kindle. But can you deal with 1.25 GB of space?